Who builds Cabela's brand tractors?

/ Who builds Cabela's brand tractors? #121  
The shop and tech don't want to be sued for failing to do the job according to specs. They do not care if clients don't do things to specs but if their work isn't to the accepted industry standard, and you have an accident, people have won lawsuits claiming the brakes did not work right under a maximum performance stop.

A lot of "accepted industry standard" is caused by knuckleheads turning wrenches. Some can't be trusted to properly evaluate what needs to be done to be safe, so they come up with a blanket standard for the lowest common denominator.

It's not like this is a new topic, and if anybody wants to know one major reason why everybody seems to be saying they simply replace the rotors every time now...it's places like the one in the article below that are responsible.

I'm not sure why this link says "object moved", but it's a Tire Review article on a huge lawsuit over resurfacing rotors.

Object moved

/ Who builds Cabela's brand tractors? #122  
People have been saying this for years, and it's one of those absolute statements that is simply untrue as an absolute. If the rotors aren't heavily scored and are otherwise in good shape, the new pads will seat to the rotors just fine if you follow the normal directions to go easy on the brakes for the first hundred miles or so.

The last time a mechanic told me they wouldn't put new pads on my truck (was under warranty so I had them handle routine service) without turning the rotors I asked what the rotors measured and he didn't know. I said "thanks, don't worry about the brakes," went home, measured the rotors which were well within spec and looked great, put on a set of premium pads, and drove another 60K miles before selling it....brakes were still fine when it left, didn't pulse, pull, or do anything other than work the way they always did.

This is simply one of those things where auto shops, with some justification, expect that the average driver is an idiot, can't be trusted to do something as simple as drive carefully to seat the pads, and they've adopted a case of CYA on just about everything. That's fine for people working on cars for a living, but it doesn't mean that the same practice always makes sense for someone working on their own car.

How much run out did you have?

/ Who builds Cabela's brand tractors? #123  
How much run out did you have?

It's been too long for me to remember, but they were within spec...maybe .001 to .002" or something like that. I'm typically easy on brakes (probably comes from starting out driving old cars with drum brakes all around), and many of the years I had that truck I was living out west, so virtually no city driving at all.

/ Who builds Cabela's brand tractors? #124  
It's been too long for me to remember, but they were within spec...maybe .001 to .002" or something like that. I'm typically easy on brakes (probably comes from starting out driving old cars with drum brakes all around), and many of the years I had that truck I was living out west, so virtually no city driving at all.

I'm having a hard time believing that. I am also surprised that you had a way to check run out.

/ Who builds Cabela's brand tractors? #125  
HFT magnetic indicator base with fine adjust, <$20.
HFT dial indicator 1" travel, <$20.
(btw, many of us having better, >$20. ;))
Knowing your rotor runout within a thou or two, priceless.

Imagining a Michigan boy can't use his measuring tools, another WAG.
Having the least interest in Cabelas' line of tractors, ..... search 'disc brake rotor runout'? :D

Then there's this, too: (<$35) ...
clamp-on.jpg

/ Who builds Cabela's brand tractors? #126  
I'm having a hard time believing that. I am also surprised that you had a way to check run out.

Yeah, measuring runout on a rotor is so hard it takes a real rocket scientist to figure it out.

/ Who builds Cabela's brand tractors? #127  
The N series were not really tractors, more like toys, garden tractor and home built go karts. Ford didn't build a real tractor until they started installing drawbars from the factory, live pto and live hydraulics.

I wholeheartedly disagree. Up until the early 90s everything on our farm from plowing the fields to baling the hay was done with 8Ns and 801s. For what they were, they were very good tractors.

/ Who builds Cabela's brand tractors? #128  
I wholeheartedly disagree. Up until the early 90s everything on our farm from plowing the fields to baling the hay was done with 8Ns and 801s. ......... they were very good tractors.

Fixed that for ya.

Seems we have drifted to legal stuff....I get enough of that crap day in and day out, when threads turn legal they get less fun, unless I am really into the thread topic and this one I am not.

/ Who builds Cabela's brand tractors? #129  
I have never waited less than 7 business days to get a not in stock part for my Kubotas

The dealer you are ordering from probably is holding your order and pooling it on a stock order with other customers to save freight costs. They can pay expedited freight to get things to you the next day, but it comes at a cost. In the case of CAT (and some of our vendors) that cost is baked into the price of the part.

of course you could also check with our Messicks parts staff, who have 93% of all requested Kubota parts in stock with same day shipping before 2PM EST.

/ Who builds Cabela's brand tractors? #130  
Fixed that for ya.

Seems we have drifted to legal stuff....I get enough of that crap day in and day out, when threads turn legal they get less fun, unless I am really into the thread topic and this one I am not.

?????