Buying Advice Kubota vs JD...newbie with 80 acres

/ Kubota vs JD...newbie with 80 acres #21  
I'm planning to add a larger tractor here. Been looking at the MX5100 & JD5055. Both excellent tractors, but Kubota has done me very well since 1984. So I'm leaning orange at the moment. :). The MX is a lotta bang for the buck!

/ Kubota vs JD...newbie with 80 acres #22  
i will concede it is a large compact. the loader is very comparable to the 1648 in weight and height and to the 4047 in weight.

looking over my notes the 1648 lifts more at the ends on the 3PH than the massey utility 2615, 3483 vs 3195

The LS is the same size as the 5100. Kubota lists the 5100 at 122" without 3pt, and the LS is 132" with the 3pt. The 5100 has a so lightly longer wheelbase, but that doesn't mean much when it's on a lighter machine. I dont think the 3pt sticks out more than a foot on either so they're pretty much the same size.....I could go measure, but it's not that important. The LS weighs 40lbs more on paper, so that's close enough to be a wash. They are both available with the exact same size R4 tires. They have very similar 3pt lift specs, and loader specs (5100 has more height, but less breakout force), and most everything else is close. Saying one is bigger, or has bigger tires, than the other is silly....not enough difference to bother thinking about.

/ Kubota vs JD...newbie with 80 acres #23  
$33k will not get you into the 5000 series John Deere if you want a cab and front end loader. It might get you close to the 5055 cab, but not with a FEL. Also, I would STRONGLY urge you to purchase a FEL with any tractor. The 4000 series JD cab is only a couple grand less than the 5000 series.

Some of the other guys on here can give you better information on the price of the Kubota's, etc. I do believe you could get a 6110 Mahindra (59/49 hp) with FEL for roughly that price.

I'm talking about the price of new tractors.

/ Kubota vs JD...newbie with 80 acres #24  
Are you stuck on new or considering used?

/ Kubota vs JD...newbie with 80 acres #25  
Is that a hydrostat? I've never seen an HST with only a 12% HP loss. Usually closer to 20%

It is a hydrostat, but it's possible the engine may put out more than the spec of 66hp. I was going off the actual Nebraska Testing Lab data, and they don't measure the engine HP; just PTO.
I do think the eHydros have a good engine / PTO HP ratio.

Attachments

• 4720 Nebraska test.pdf
    115.9 KB · Views: 92
   / Kubota vs JD...newbie with 80 acres #26  
I've purchased 80 acres and plan to eventually maintain about 40 acres (fairly flat). Remaining land will remain as timber. So, I will be bush hogging, planting some in hay, some in crop, some for pasture. Note, this is a hobby farm. I'm close (51..plan to retire at 55) to retirement and this has been a dream to return to the country life style. So, I've read and looked at a bunch. I like the Kubota L4600 and the MX5100. I like the JD 5055E and 5065E. I desire a FEL. I've seen several places that have the L4600/MX5100 packages (with Trailer, Cutter, Box Blade) for 27K to 30K. Not seeing many JD packages. So, am I getting the right size tractor for my property? To much? Not enough? Input would be appreciated.
You say you want to do hay and some in crop. What kinds of crops? If it is row crop like corn or similar you better get a tractor where you can adjust the tread width front and rear to accommodate the crop growing requirements as well as be able to utilize plowing, planting and cultivating equipment that is available 2nd hand. Some of the compact utilities have limited or no adjustment, especially on the fwd front end.

/ Kubota vs JD...newbie with 80 acres
I'm not against buying used. I perfer new (better finanacing options). When I say crops, this would be small pots of corn (3-4 acres). I have looked at a used square hay baler. I like the L4600, but I don't want to regret not getting a 50 HP or larger. I don't need a cab (this is Alabama).

/ Kubota vs JD...newbie with 80 acres #28  
I'm not against buying used. I perfer new (better finanacing options). When I say crops, this would be small pots of corn (3-4 acres). I have looked at a used square hay baler. I like the L4600, but I don't want to regret not getting a 50 HP or larger. I don't need a cab (this is Alabama).

I have the L4600, I love it and have been very happy with it but, if I had it to do over again, I would opt for the MX5100. For an additional $500 you get 600 more pounds, cat 2 instead of cat 1, plus a bump in horsepower.

/ Kubota vs JD...newbie with 80 acres
Found a 2012 JD 5055E up the road about 2 hours. Here's the specs...78 hours...Configuration: Standard • Syncro • MFWD • PTO: 540 • Tire Width: Mid • Loader: Yes • 9.5-24 in. Front tires • Mid mount hydraulic control valves • 16.9-28 in. Rear Tires

Little under $24K

/ Kubota vs JD...newbie with 80 acres #30  
sounds pretty good and 4000-4500ish less than new.