Buying Advice Kubota vs JD...newbie with 80 acres

/ Kubota vs JD...newbie with 80 acres #31  
Couldn't go wrong with MX5100, it's a modern classic that's in production. What's not to like, it's a best in class. HS

Last edited:
   / Kubota vs JD...newbie with 80 acres #32  
Found a 2012 JD 5055E up the road about 2 hours. Here's the specs...78 hours...Configuration: Standard Syncro MFWD PTO: 540 Tire Width: Mid Loader: Yes 9.5-24 in. Front tires Mid mount hydraulic control valves 16.9-28 in. Rear Tires

Little under $24K

24K sounds like a deal to me.
The MX is really a CUT, a 50E series is a utility tractor.
Unless you have limited space or want a HST I see no advantage to a MX over the Deere, A MX is actually closer to a Kubota L than it is to their M series, which are utility size tractors. Take a look at the rear end in a L, MX, and a M.

For that money you are getting a much heavier larger tractor, with a better loader.

Good luck with your search.

Bill

/ Kubota vs JD...newbie with 80 acres #33  
Couldn't go wrong with MX5100, it's a modern classic that's in production. What's no to like, it's a best in class. HS
LOL ... "best in class" ??? Not sure how you figure that, unless you're just kidding, in which case, that was funny. :laughing:

/ Kubota vs JD...newbie with 80 acres #34  
Found a 2012 JD 5055E up the road about 2 hours. Here's the specs...78 hours...Configuration: Standard Syncro MFWD PTO: 540 Tire Width: Mid Loader: Yes 9.5-24 in. Front tires Mid mount hydraulic control valves 16.9-28 in. Rear Tires

Little under $24K

That's a great tractor because the initial depreciation is gone and after you have it for the next 80 hours you won't lose as much when you trade it in on the tractor you want. Find out what the guy traded it in on and start there!

Get a power shuttle, especially if you plan on doing much loader or grapple work. I like it much better than an HST transmission and for me it's more intuitive for ground engaging equipment or operating under load. Many times you need to let up on an HST to get in the power band. For a pure AG tractor synchro shuttle is Ok.

Glad to hear Alabama has become more temperate since I spent 6 months there. It was in the late seventies and I thought it was baby Jesus hot, humid, dusty and held a myriad of interesting stinging and biting insects. I actually saw a few snakes in trees and just say I hate snakes. Why would anybody ride around listening to a stereo in air conditioned comfort safe from a swarm of killer bees when you can be one with nature? Get the cab tractor.

Many of us have gone through what you are now doing and realize it's real easy spending other people's money. Buying tractors is fun but can get a little out of hand trading in as you figure out what you need.

In addition to the Deere and Kubota, you should look at the Kioti 6010 and the LS XU5065 both with AG tires and power shuttle. Cabs of course!

Good luck!

/ Kubota vs JD...newbie with 80 acres #35  
I'm in the same place right now. My place is a little bigger and we're looking to lease more land. I'm comparing the John Deere 5085E and the Kubota M8560. I know the initial cost is higher with the JD, but I'm being told that the cost to maintain the Kubota is 5 times that of the John Deere. Does anyone know if that's true? Any other thoughts on these two tractors?

/ Kubota vs JD...newbie with 80 acres #36  
I'm in the same place right now. My place is a little bigger and we're looking to lease more land. I'm comparing the John Deere 5085E and the Kubota M8560. I know the initial cost is higher with the JD, but I'm being told that the cost to maintain the Kubota is 5 times that of the John Deere. Does anyone know if that's true? Any other thoughts on these two tractors?

I don't think that makes any sense. Any reasons cited for why the JD would cost a mere one fifth as much as the Kubota to maintain?

/ Kubota vs JD...newbie with 80 acres #37  
I don't think that makes any sense. Any reasons cited for why the JD would cost a mere one fifth as much as the Kubota to maintain?

This is from the JD dealer. They claim that the JD filters and fluids last longer, belts are self tensioning, zerks (whatever that is) are easier to greese, and fuel economy is better.
They also claim that the hydrolics run twice as fast which gets the job done faster.
JD cab is steel tubing vs. Kubota's sheet metal so JD more sturdy/secure.
JD has two sets of real SCVs compared to Kubota's one set.
JD wheelbase is wider by a few inches
JD is 1500 lbs heavier
JD's horse power is industry certified whereas Kubota's isn't.

JD says that all this leads to their product's cost to maintain for the first 600 hours is only $200 compared to Kubota's being $1,200. At 1200 hours, JD cost $500 compared to Kubota's $1,900.

Whatever I buy will be my first tractor...hopefully the last. How much truth is there to these claims?

/ Kubota vs JD...newbie with 80 acres #38  
Yeah, I would call BS on that as well. Just salesman propaganda. I don't see Deere being any better to operate than Kubota, or LS, Kioti, Massey, etc etc etc... I'm sure that these tractors are all very similar in quality to one another now. JD does have a special blend green paint though, which we all know costs WAY more to produce than the other colors. That's where your cost goes to. I've heard it will shield you from meteor showers though, so that's something to consider.

/ Kubota vs JD...newbie with 80 acres #39  
This is from the JD dealer. They claim that the JD filters and fluids last longer, belts are self tensioning, zerks (whatever that is) are easier to greese, and fuel economy is better.
They also claim that the hydrolics run twice as fast which gets the job done faster.
JD cab is steel tubing vs. Kubota's sheet metal so JD more sturdy/secure.
JD has two sets of real SCVs compared to Kubota's one set.
JD wheelbase is wider by a few inches
JD is 1500 lbs heavier
JD's horse power is industry certified whereas Kubota's isn't.

JD says that all this leads to their product's cost to maintain for the first 600 hours is only $200 compared to Kubota's being $1,200. At 1200 hours, JD cost $500 compared to Kubota's $1,900.

Whatever I buy will be my first tractor...hopefully the last. How much truth is there to these claims?

I think that JD dealer salesman you're referring to needs to include a manure spreader with the JD tractor to help spread his propaganda!!!! I run Green & Blue & Orange tractors of which non of them have cheap parts. My Kubota M7040(65 pto HP) uses less than 2 GPH of fuel pulling a 9' disc cutter.

/ Kubota vs JD...newbie with 80 acres #40  

I was in the same spot your in, After tons of research and spending time with both tractors and many others I bought the deere. I ordered it it Nov and it just came in. For me personally I felt the deere was a better fit. This is a pic of it at the dealer, they have to add loader and bunch of other stuff. I hate to say it, but one of the big reason was the buddy seat. Sounds stupid, but I really want my boys to be with me when using the tractor.