Comparison Kioti DK40SE HST vs Mahindra 4035

/ Kioti DK40SE HST vs Mahindra 4035 #1  

Swamp Ape

Tractor
None
Hi guys, new to the forum. Title pretty much says it all. Not trying to start 20 page war, just want to make an informed purchase as this will be my first tractor. I'm purchasing a new tractor to be used on 28.5 acres that is has 12 yr old longleaf pines (not in rows) and native hardwoods with a lot of underbrush. Initially will use to clear thick underbrush and move dead trees to pile and burn. Then will use to mow/maintain, establish fire trails, move hay, maintain road, etc. I think 40-45 hp 4wd with FEL will meet all my goals. I have looked at Kubota, JD, LS, Kioti and Mahindra. I have narrowed my search to Kioti DK40SE HST vs Mahindra 4035 with Power Shuttle. Test drove both yesterday and really liked each. Only negative for Kioti was that hand throttle seemed a bit awkward on the right but I'm sure I would get used to it. The Mahindra seemed overall beefier and the cockpit seemed roomier and more ergonomic. If I were to make a split decision yesterday, I would have chose the Mahindra. However, I just do no know much about the reliability of the machine. I know Kioti seems to have a loyal following and there are a lot of positive reviews in terms of the overall quality and reliability. All help is appreciated.

/ Kioti DK40SE HST vs Mahindra 4035 #2  
Both good machines. The Kioti loader is a tad stronger but overall the machines should be pretty comparable.

Any reason why you're comparing the Kioti HST vs the Mahindra PST ?

Last edited:
   / Kioti DK40SE HST vs Mahindra 4035
TSO, good question. The Mahindra is a dealer owned 2011 leftover. Apparently stored under cover. Can get get it for several thousand less than new, so it brings both machines within $500 difference. Both are a significant step up from direct transmissions i grew up with.

/ Kioti DK40SE HST vs Mahindra 4035 #4  
You would probably be happy with either, but for me, HST would be my choice. But plenty of guys love the power shuttle too. Where is the hand throttle on the Mahindra. I though about all of them were on the right.?

Mahindra hand throttle on right too , but you have foot pedal which i find more natural when doing work with FEL

/ Kioti DK40SE HST vs Mahindra 4035 #6  
Mahindra hand throttle on right too , but you have foot pedal which i find more natural when doing work with FEL

Have you ever worked a few hours doing loader work with a HST?

/ Kioti DK40SE HST vs Mahindra 4035 #7  
I agree with James ... you don't know convenience until you've used HST for loader work (compared to any type of gear trans).

/ Kioti DK40SE HST vs Mahindra 4035 #8  
I would definitely go with the HST Kioti.

What if they were both hst? Then does it boil down to which just feels better or is one better qualty/more reliable? Both dealers are within a mile of each other.

/ Kioti DK40SE HST vs Mahindra 4035 #10  
For doing loader work, or even mowing/brush cutting in tight spots, the HST makes life so much easier, and faster, that it's hard to describe. Just the other day I was reminded this while helping my neighbor skid a big tree (topped it was still 35' long and 36"+ at the base). I backed up to the base, and he was going to hook up the choker to the shackle on the back of my counterweight....the choker was barely long enough, and I was able to ease back on the HST (low range) until he could just get the bolt through the shackle. That would be a real pain with any other kind of tranny....you could go on and on with examples like that.