SCUT or CUT advice

/ SCUT or CUT advice #1  

erda

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601
So, some background information to start: currently have a John Deere 318 with mower, rototiller, and single stage snowblower (and an older sears lawn tractor that is used only for mowing). It's getting a little long in the tooth, and I'd like to get something with a bit more capability. The property that it is being used on is a farm (160 acres), with the land and pasture being rented out. Having said that, there are still a few times when I need to go into the pasture to haul wood and/or rocks. The house is located 400 yards from the county road and has a fairly large yard-none of what could be called lawn in an urban sense. The lane way is "old style" with two gravelled tyre tracks and grass in the middle and on the edges. Snow in the winter is a issue as is general maintenance of the lane (put 9yds3 of road crush on it this year and still need more). Also, whatever is purchased needs to be able to fit through a regular garage door.

I've begun the looking stage, but am a bit overwhelmed by all of the "options". I've looked at a Kioti CS2410 with fel, 60" mmm, 50" snowblower, 4' box blade, and 4' rough cut mower as an option. One concern that I have about the CS2410, is the low ground clearance. (this is also an issue with the JD318) I haven't yet looked at other models, other than a brief look at JD-the salesmen were "too busy" to give me the time of day:thumbdown:

So, just wondering about other models and whether or not the increased cost (not sure what that would be as I only have the one quote on the CS2410-am waiting for them to get back to me about other models) would be worth it for the limited use in those rougher conditions.

Last edited:
   / SCUT or CUT advice #2  
I would look at a slightly larger tractor and cut the grass with a mower.It's tough to find a "do all" type machine.A machine that doesn't hurt the lawn is going to be too light for your road work.

/ SCUT or CUT advice #3  
I would suggest something around 30 h.p. 4wd with FEL its not to big but would have enough power for most jobs

/ SCUT or CUT advice #4  
I would look at a slightly larger tractor and cut the grass with a mower.It's tough to find a "do all" type machine.A machine that doesn't hurt the lawn is going to be too light for your road work.

I couldn't agree more , as for me I went with kubota b2650 with a cab , it has good ground clearance and a slight modification to my garage door to keep it garaged . I mow my larger lawn area with the 2650 and a land pride rc cutter , and around the house with a riding lawn mower, works great for me .

/ SCUT or CUT advice #5  
I'd agree with the direction the guys ahead of me are posting.

A larger tractor, around 30-40 hp for the rough work, which is then far too big for a lawn mower. Mowing? Nothing wrong with a zero turn or heavy duty lawn mower around $2000 range. Done.

/ SCUT or CUT advice #6  
I haven't yet looked at other models, other than a brief look at JD-the salesmen were "too busy" to give me the time of day:thumbdown:
I had a similar response from a JD dealer. The salesman told to come back when I was ready to buy. Went to MF a couple weeks later and the dealer there sold me a SCUT.
Kiotti is well regarded IMO, but the CS2410 will eventually seem too small. If it fits in your garage the CK2510 with a cab might be a better choice. Weight/ground clearance makes a big difference.
If your able to use a rear snowblower it can ease the cost of adding a cab. Leaving the loader on can also speed up snow removal around buildings. By going to a 60" blower, box blade, you may only require 2 passes on the driveway, instead of 3 with a 48". HST is desirable when clearing a lot of snow. Especially when it is heavy and deep.
Turf tires are nice for snow. I've slid sideways into a ditch a few times with AGs, they have no side traction. The low ground clearance of a SCUT makes it hard to get out again. Over the years I've re-contoured the ditches along the driveway into swales that are a lot easier to mow as well. If you have slopes and need extra traction, inquire about chains for turfs.
The rough cut mower should do a decent job of keeping the grass down, using the 318 for around the house.
You will never regret the cost of the cab when out clearing snow. I couldn't afford a cab tractor when I bought my GC2300, and regret it every time I blow the driveway, and mine is only @150yds long . :)

Whatever you do, demo the unit first.

/ SCUT or CUT advice #7  
A scut will do most all you need . I have a long driveway that I grade with a rear blade a few times a year
I use a 48 inch brush bull for the old pasture twice a year , a 60 inch rear blower and front loader for winter .Make sure to ballast the rear tires and chains will almost double your traction .The limited ground clearance helps with stability .If you need the extra ground clearance then go with a cut , if your budget allows it , get at cut ,if you wife will allow it, get a cut . That being said I have no need to upgrade to a cut (yet) after two years of using my M F GC2400 .And I also had my doubts when my dealer said it would be big enough .

/ SCUT or CUT advice
Thanks for the input so far.

I really think that using a rear mount snow blower down the quarter mile long lane way would get old FAST! The one that was quoted with the CS2410 is the SB50, which is front mount. Are there front mounts that aren't too much more expensive for CUTs?

Based on the past few winters, using a loader to move the snow would be an issue-one of the neighbours has cleaned it out once in a while with a skid steer, and the snow piles become so large that there literally is no place to push the snow anymore; and heaven help when the wind starts to blow around those piles. Even the single stage snow blower on the JD318 blows the snow far enough that it doesn't accumulate too much.

Keeping the JD318 isn't an option according to SWMBO-one new thing in means one old has to go!

/ SCUT or CUT advice #9  
You can check with Kubota, Deere, LS, Kioti, Cub, TYM, New Holland, Mahindra, Massey and a score of others that may be in your area. Most will have a small CUT with a front mount blower available. Most will also have dealer incentive programs but sometimes you have to ask. I also agree to look for something in the 30 HP range.

/ SCUT or CUT advice #10  
Thanks for the input so far.

I really think that using a rear mount snow blower down the quarter mile long lane way would get old FAST! The one that was quoted with the CS2410 is the SB50, which is front mount. Are there front mounts that aren't too much more expensive for CUTs?

Based on the past few winters, using a loader to move the snow would be an issue-one of the neighbours has cleaned it out once in a while with a skid steer, and the snow piles become so large that there literally is no place to push the snow anymore; and heaven help when the wind starts to blow around those piles. Even the single stage snow blower on the JD318 blows the snow far enough that it doesn't accumulate too much.

Keeping the JD318 isn't an option according to SWMBO-one new thing in means one old has to go!

Pretty much all front-mount snow throwers are going to be expensive regardless of what size the machine is. An alternative that's very popular in places that get a lot of snow is a rear-mount snow thrower that works when you drive forward....sometimes called "inverted" or "pull-type" throwers. Most of the manufacturers are in Canada, and they seem to by quiet popular there.