a tractor can break in half?

/ a tractor can break in half? #71  
It would seem only carrying weight on one end of the tractor would yield the less amount of stress as its weight at one end, the tractors weight only on the other. Though People use the FEL with ballast weight in back for a long time now. I would suspect in most of the cases it may have been faulty casting or high impact, or loose bolts. Scary stuff though....

/ a tractor can break in half? #72  
It makes you think though, if you get stuck, where exactly can you pull on the tractor?

/ a tractor can break in half? #73  
Didn't go back through the old part of this thread but with my dad being a Farmall dealer way, way back, we had a few with broken middle housings (where the optional hydraulic pump went) due to loader work. Push into the pile too hard and the front end comes up. Step on the clutch and it crashes back down. Even though a Farmall H has a relatively thick cast housing, the bottom is open for the hydraulic pump putting all the stress in the side and they would break in time. I still see some of those old H's around with the nickel rod weld my dad used to patch them together as that center housing is pricey and nobody had money for a new one.

I know what you are talking about. A lot of those old tractors did not incorporate a frame but made up for it with heavy castings. Most of the time in farm applications they were fine. My dad sold Allis Chalmers and told me of tractors with cracked housings. International Cubs, "B" Allis Chalmers, some of the IH utility tractors, he mentioned those specifically. Not to say it was endemic to all of those but in some instances. I figure the vast majority were fine but you may have had some with a weak point in the casting.

/ a tractor can break in half? #74  
:cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

Speaking of this. yesterday i watched the 1978 Dawn of the dead ( I like t better than the remake ).

I'm a huge zombi fan. :)

/ a tractor can break in half? #75  
I'm not a zombie fan, but respect those TBN'er that bring up old threads. Personally, I read the old resurrected threads when they seem like "news" to me and learn from them. If one doesn't want to read it.........then don't. :):2cents:
Cheers,
Mike

/ a tractor can break in half? #78  
   / a tractor can break in half? #79  
Good points made early on in this thread,
that many of the FEL equipped tractors that failed in the middle rely on a large center mount- with no major bracing running to the rear axle and in some cases no bracing running to the front of the tractor.

Although not as stylish , It would seem the extra bracing does add a fair amount of strength and some safety margin when pushing the limits of the machine.

' Ps Old Ford tractors never die- they just keep digging in the dirt:D

/ a tractor can break in half? #80  
Sub frames for sure.