Status
Not open for further replies.
   / 1st Tractor: JD 2210 vs Kubota B7500? #1  

DanR67

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7610
Hi folks,

I originally posted in lildozers' "2210 or BX2230" thread - because I felt I had similar needs - but GregJ suggested that I start a new thread - so here I am! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've been thinking about getting a CUT for several years - even visited a few local dealers and picked up brochures - but any discussion with my wife would quickly (usually before I finished my first sentence! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) end in NO!

However, time goes on...people change...my wife turned 40...and suddenly she starts talking about "how much work we have..." and "we're not getting any younger..." - so now we're looking for a compact tractor! Woohoo! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So I've been lurking around TBN for the past few weeks - great site btw - and am posting to get a bit of feedback - trying to decide between a JD 2210 and Kubota B7500

First my needs / situation:

> 11 acres - 7 wooded / 4 cleared / 2 - 3 mowed (fairly flat)
> need to replace an old 38" Sears riding mower this year
> plan on landscaping @ 1 additional acre in upcoming years (somewhat rocky - see "stone walls" below - but otherwise fairly flat)
> moving between 2-4 12-wheeler loads of gravel and *graded base* for driveway extension (@ 150 ft) & landscaping / pathways
> Yearly wood pellet (on 1 ton pallets) handling (I don't expect to move full tons at once!) - between 10-20 tons / year
> Yearly leaf / brush pickup
> Possible removal of existing asphalt driveway & replace with gravel (@ 200' overall length / incl. oval-shaped turn around)

So - we've visited the local JD & Kubota dealers.....and found there's a *barely used* (41 hours) JD 2210 with FEL available for @ $10,500 - toss in a 54" MMM and taxes - call it $13K

But....

I am leaning more towards a Kubota B7500 *leftover* (new) - or (insert miracle of choice here) - a new B7610. The B7500 would come in just under $16K - but the "Approval Committee" is not happy because of the $3K diff. However the B7500 would include a used bagger with the MMM setup - nice for the fall cleanup....

Now, when I price "new vs new" - then we have a real close matchup: $15.3K for the JD 2210 and @ $16K for the K B7500 - a difference of only $700.

I've attached a worksheet (Adobe PDF format) showing the size / features / price between the following CUT models:

John Deere 2210 / 4110
Kubota B7500 / B7510 / B7610
New Holland TC24

My arguments in favor of the Kubota are:
- longer warranty (3 vs 2 year)
- (somewhat) larger loader capacity (770 vs 620 # at pivot)
- higher total hydraulic flow (7.0 vs. 5.5 gpm)
- higher ground clearance (12.0 vs 7.7 in)
- backhoe capable in the future if needed

Just *dreaming* aloud - but a new B7610 (@ $17.2K) vs new JD2210 is only ~ $1800 difference - but the B7610 has the next bigger FEL - @ 925 # at pivot - which would, in my opinion - cover 90+% of my loader needs.

My primary concern with the JD 2210 is the FEL loader cap - I don't mind "making more trips" - but if I come across a good sized rock - I'd prefer the extra muscle on hand - rather than having to rent a TLB. This is New England - our stone walls didn't fall from the sky.... I'm also a little concerned with the lower ground clearance on the 2210.

I also realize that most of my *needs* will likely take place in the first few years of ownership (favoring Kubota w 3 yr warranty) - and that if I *only* had mowing to do, with some scattered FEL work - I wouldn't even be asking! I'd have the JD 2210 in my garage already!

I've rented a decent sized JD (@ 40 HP?) TLB twice in the past: 1) to spread gravel around our pool and did some rock landscaping with the backhoe and 2) put in @ 120' access road using graded base.

This chewed up the lawn fairly well in a few spots - the weight + the Ag tires - so I know I want a CUT - probably with R4 treads rather than turf. A few people already responded and suggested other models - example a Kubota B2910 - but since I have to mow over my septic tank - I don't want to go "too big" (not that my wife will likely let me in any event!) - because I'd like to keep the weight down.

So sizing everything up - I think the Kubotas offer the most "bang for the buck" - pound for pound - and able to adapt if my future needs (ex. backhoe) change. But I want to know if there is any other things worth considering....I don't mind spending more - but my wife thinks the extra $3K isn't worth it.

Any thoughts / suggestions on the JD2210 vs K B7500 would be appreciated!

Thanx in advance,

Dan

Attachments

• 379680-Compact Tractor Comparison.pdf
    18.5 KB · Views: 550
   / 1st Tractor: JD 2210 vs Kubota B7500? #2  
Consider replacing the riding mower with a riding mower to do your mowing, and buy a tractor, minus the MMM, to do the tractoring. The total may be about the same and you may have machines better suited to what you will be doing with them, especially with your concern about weight on the septic system.

When it comes to choosing between these brands, your comfort level with the dealer, with whom you are just starting what will be a long term relationship, should be as important as any other consideration.

/ 1st Tractor: JD 2210 vs Kubota B7500? #3  
Hey Dan,
Welcome to TBN. Sounds like you did you homework. This might be one of those situations were procrastination could be your best course of action. Maybe the slightly used JD will sell before you sign on the dotted line.
Many of us went through the same decision making process. I had my sights set on a Kubota 2410 ...ended up using the ole budget strecher to the max and got a Kubota Grand L 3010. Love the tractor. After all the hee haw-ing around I think the wife was just glad to see the decision made and a tractor in our barn. I financed over half the purchase price of mine, and found that the price difference vesus payment difference was not that bad.
Good luck with buying process ....soon you'll be in the seat of one of these awesome CUT's and it makes it all worth it. You will love it and the work it can do for you.

/ 1st Tractor: JD 2210 vs Kubota B7500? #4  
Dan,
I'm sure you're going to get some good feedback with this post.
First of all, </font><font color="blue" class="small">( I also realize that most of my *needs* will likely take place in the first few years of ownership )</font> ..... After you buy a tractor, your "needs" will escalate dramatically. You'll be using your tractor for more things than you could ever think of today. So, think long range.

Another thing I would like to point out is the difference in the 3pt. lift capacity. That was one of the things that really pointed me toward the B7500. Notice that there is 50% more lift capacity with the B7500. I attached a photo showing what I do with mine. Palletizing my firewood is a real time/labor saver.

Aloha brings up another good option. I have a seperate riding mower for my lawn. I have too many tight places to get into to use my Kubota..... And hey, there's nothing wrong with having 2 tractors /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I also think you are wise to keep your Backhoe options open. I love mine and use it all the time.

Hope this helps,
Greg

Attachments

• 379700-PalletLoad.jpg
    379700-PalletLoad.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,002
   / 1st Tractor: JD 2210 vs Kubota B7500?
Great feedback folks!!

Aloha -

I never even THOUGHT of that route!! Might be the solution - however I don't want this to jeopardize the whole tractor purchase - I don't know if I need a tractor *just* for yard cleanup....Hmmmm...have to really give this some thought.

Moon -

Yep - kinda hoping the the 2210 goes off the market - Darn! Missed it by that much! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Good things come to those who wait! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GregJ -

Thanks for the suggestion of the new thread - instant feedback!

The 3PH was one of the factors I considered - but seeing your picture - WOW! That's quite a load of wood! That picture alone may clinch it for me!

Keep the suggestions coming - but my mind is already racing with these new ideas! I my have to go back to the drawing board... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Dan

PS Another question for all B7500 owners: what benefit does the dual speed (540 / 960 rpm) rear PTO give over a fixed (540 only) one?

/ 1st Tractor: JD 2210 vs Kubota B7500? #6  
Hi, just to throw a wrench in your works - I noticed a DEAL on a Cub Cadet down in Florida. It is a 7260 with a loader and turf tires. It is a clearance item at $12,300 from an outfit in Ocala (sorry I cant remember the name). This cub lifts 1100#, 102 inches high, and has a 60" bucket. 26 hp. and a true shuttle shift, it wieghs in just under 3000lbs. Should be durable. I saw this on e-bay and wanted it for myself but the shipping to Seattle was ridiculous. Take your time and look at all of your options. E-bay has some very nice, low hour 4200 and 4300 machines right now. I'd also recommend a riding mower - keep the hours off of the expensive machine. Good luck with that finance committee!

/ 1st Tractor: JD 2210 vs Kubota B7500? #7  
<font color="blue"> Consider replacing the riding mower with a riding mower to do your mowing, and buy a tractor, minus the MMM, to do the tractoring. </font>

Aloha's advice may be sound, but...for me, I got my tractors because I was tired of owning cheap [if $ 1,800 can be called cheap... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif ] lawn and garden tractors for mowing. They just were not any fun using. Perhaps I am picky, but they just don't feel like quality tools!

Actually, now that the mower deck is in the trash pile, I kinda like my little MTD. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I use it to pull a small cart, and to save wear and tear on the the real tractors when I have a little chore to do, that does not require one of the bigger guys.

I am not sure about the septic field concern though...

/ 1st Tractor: JD 2210 vs Kubota B7500? #8  
Not really an apples to apples comparison. Compare the 2210 to a 2230 and the 7500 to the 4010.

Are you willing to look outside the big 3? MF2300 can compare to the 2210/2230. The Kioti CK20h and Mahindra 2015 compare well with the 7500/4010.

You may consider the dealership. Pick the dealer you like and buy his product.

/ 1st Tractor: JD 2210 vs Kubota B7500? #9  
Hi Dan, although the JD2210 may be too small for your needs the price you were given of $15,300 for the tractor,MMM, and loader is way too high even for a new unit.
I live in MA also and recently purchased a new JD2210 with 62"MMM and loader for $12,700 from a MA dealer.
Shop around, you can find a better price.
Ken /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 1st Tractor: JD 2210 vs Kubota B7500? #10  
I agree the price seems plenty high on the 2210. I would check several different dealers and get some new quotes to compare it to.

I also agree on the concept of a lawn tractor for mowing and skipping the MMM. The MMMs are not at all cheap. You can get a decent LT for the same price (or cheaper) then just the deck, and then you dont have to worry so much about the weight or tire style.

Status
Not open for further replies.