Alternative "sub-compact" tractor solutions

/ Alternative "sub-compact" tractor solutions #1  

MultiMow

Gold Member
Tractor
Toro 325-D 4WD
This thread is for those who are open to more flexible solutions in the sub-compact tractor category... such as:

-"Alpine tractors" (Antonio Cararro, John Deere A20, Pesquali, etc.)

-Rear steer / municipal tractors (Kubota F-series, etc.)

-Small articulated tractors (Ventrac/Steiner)

-reversible station tractors (New Holland / Ford "Versatile" series)

-any other designs aside from "conventional" tractors

I think the majority of sub-compact tractor customers would find their needs better served in other design platforms. The conventional "little front/big rear/front engine/rear driver/rear implement" configuration is great for row cropping... but let's face it, nobody is row cropping with a sub-compact. As a matter of fact, most sub-compact applications are better suited to front-mount implements (mowing, snow removal, etc.).

What's your thoughts?

/ Alternative "sub-compact" tractor solutions #2  
I'm not familiar with most you listed but I have looked into Ventrac (not enough ground clearance) and F-series (seems like a great mower platform but expensive for what it is and not versatile enough for my needs).

/ Alternative "sub-compact" tractor solutions #3  
Not readily available, little support, more expensive.

Should have 4-wheel steer and crab steer. What do you do in an articulated machine when you are next to something and need to turn away? Same problem with conventional tractor with rear implement.

Should have both front and rear 3pt hitch. And PTO both ways, too.

Cost should not be the same or more than a 2-step larger conventional tractor.

Bruce

/ Alternative "sub-compact" tractor solutions #4  
Pretty much what BCP said. Not widely available enough yet, and very expensive machines and attachments.

3PH attachments for the rear of tractors have been around for several decades. Lots of them out there, given plenty of used ones, and plenty of demand, keeps the prices down even on new ones.

My take on those "alternative" type machines is they are made to be real good a something specific. Where as a conventional tractor, while not the best at everything, covers a broader range of what alot of folks do.

I brushhog with a 8' mower, sometimes up to 30 acres in a single day, I pull a 3-bottom plow, 3PH disc, and PTO tiller for garden work. (large garden mind you). I tow a 5'x9' wood hauling trailer loaded with ~1-cord at a time. Have a grapple that for lifting logs up to ~3000# and moving brush. Skid some rather large trees/tops. Pallet forks that can lift ~3000#+ and up to ~9'-10' high. Dirt working with the FEL. Rear post hole digger. Rear blade to do snow plowing, ditch ways, general dirt and driveway work. Travel ~17 MPH down the road and through the fields to wherever the above chores take me. Pull a two row sweet corn planter and 2-row cultivator. USe the landscape rake for a whole assortment of tasks. Run a sickle bar mower over the edge of a ditch or pond bank. Etc Etc Etc. All with a 50 hp machine under $30k.

What one of the "alternative" machines can do ALL of that at least as well as a tractor, and dont cost twice as much?

Sure, certain types of those machines do certain things better. And if ones needs arent as diverse as mine.....then by all means get the best piece of equipment for what YOUR needs are. For me, a tractor is the best fit. Both functionally and economically.

/ Alternative "sub-compact" tractor solutions #5  
I don't know the cost, but have always liked this design: Aebi Terratrac | ASH Aebi Schmidt Holding AG

aebi TT206 3.JPG

aebi TT206.JPG

aebi.JPG

/ Alternative "sub-compact" tractor solutions #6  
This thread is for those who are open to more flexible solutions in the sub-compact tractor category... such as:

-"Alpine tractors" (Antonio Cararro, John Deere A20, Pesquali, etc.)

-Rear steer / municipal tractors (Kubota F-series, etc.)

-Small articulated tractors (Ventrac/Steiner)

-reversible station tractors (New Holland / Ford "Versatile" series)

-any other designs aside from "conventional" tractors

I think the majority of sub-compact tractor customers would find their needs better served in other design platforms. The conventional "little front/big rear/front engine/rear driver/rear implement" configuration is great for row cropping... but let's face it, nobody is row cropping with a sub-compact. As a matter of fact, most sub-compact applications are better suited to front-mount implements (mowing, snow removal, etc.).

What's your thoughts?

Take a drive over to Tazewell and get a tour of the Power Trac line of machines...

486821d1478218832-alternative-quot-sub-compact-quot-pt425mainpic-jpg

Attachments

• PT425mainpic.jpg
    PT425mainpic.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,689
   / Alternative "sub-compact" tractor solutions #7  
As far as expense... when I was tractor shopping back in 2001, the Power Trac was WAY less expensive for a comparable conventional type of tractor.

/ Alternative "sub-compact" tractor solutions #8  
Here's a link to a thread started back in 2001. It ended up being one of the main influences in me switching from a conventional tractor to an articulated machine with all attachments up front.

Its a good read and gets you thinking.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/related-topics/5108-compact-tractors-designed-all-wrong.html

What anyone reading it should glean from the discussion is that what's most important when choosing a machine like a tractor, is you have to first figure out what tasks you are going to want to tackle and then finding machines that will handle those tasks, and stay within your budget.

For us, our main tractor jobs are, in order of most time spent:
Mowing the lawn and clearing leaves at our home.
Gathering firewood at our remote property.
Brush cutting trails at our remote property.
Snow removal at our home.
Then throw in the occasional landscaping projects, church and little league volunteering, helping friends and family, etc...

We had NO need for a pulling machine. We don't pull stumps or plow dirt. So why have all the attachments behind you where you can't see them? :laughing:

/ Alternative "sub-compact" tractor solutions #9  
I've always thought these were cool alternatives to a tractor. Even has a 3 point on back and SSQA on front.

/ Alternative "sub-compact" tractor solutions #10  
Given the products on the market, what drives the sub-compact boom is their quality, utility and relative affordability. We also sell F-series, Steiner, etc... but would sell BX's 20-1. There are other great options out there, but they just don't check all the boxes.