Alternative "sub-compact" tractor solutions

/ Alternative "sub-compact" tractor solutions #11  
There are other great options out there, but they just don't check all the boxes.

Guess thats a pretty simple way to sum up what it took me several paragraphs to say:thumbsup:

/ Alternative "sub-compact" tractor solutions
Agreed.

Aebi makes some amazing units, with regard to hillside operation... but they are BEYOND expensive. (minimum power unit alone is roughly $75k)

The reason I started this thread, is to gauge what people think of alternative units... both with AND without experience.

I get the biggest issues with market acceptance (serviceability, dealer presence, price point, attachments, etc.).

I do like the Power Trac series... but my biggest issues are weight and price.

I'm working on fabricating my own traction unit... but I really want to see what other people's issues are with these machines. I hope to patent/license/sell the machine when finished, so I want it to be a viable/marketable solution.

I have the price point down to roughly $10-$15k in production. My spec'd plans right now will cost me about $10k for the prototype.

I won't go into much detail... but three advantages of my design are an adjustable track width, reversible operator's station, and great hillside stability.

Given the products on the market, what drives the sub-compact boom is their quality, utility and relative affordability. We also sell F-series, Steiner, etc... but would sell BX's 20-1. There are other great options out there, but they just don't check all the boxes.
BX?

Not familiar.

Probably the most popular kubotas sold.
Ah

I thought he was referencing a brand name.

I've operated BXs... just more of the same antiquated conventional tractor design.... not optimized for typical compact applications.

/ Alternative "sub-compact" tractor solutions #16  
I converted my loader arms, bucket and attachments to a standard skid steer quick attach by using a SSQA takeoff.
I can quickly change front attachments,,,

So, why do I mow with a rear attachment?
Why do I re-grade my driveway with a rear attachment?

DUST!!

I have driven tractors for multiple decades.
I remember when we switched from a front mounted soybean row cultivator to rear mounted 3 point hitch cultivator.

The change in the amount of dust the operator had to eat was unbelievable.
We were willing to go faster, kicking up dust with a rear attachment was no concern.
The front cultivator was easy to see, and easy to keep on the row, but, we drove slow to keep the dust down.

I know the OP is not concerned with row crop machines, but, operators TODAY,, of any machine,,, are concerned with health issues.
Read the threads about CUTS and mowers.
Those that have used both mid and rear finish mowers lean towards rear.
There are a large number of posts about the problems with the mid mowers throwing grass clippings up into the tractor.
That does not happen with a RFM.

I have both a RFM,, and a mid mount mower on similar sized tractors.
I prefer to operate the RFM.
Less dust, less pollen, and less noise,,, I am not sitting right over the mower with the RFM.

I think, as time goes on, you will see more and more users going towards rear attachments.
Either that, or company's will be selling a LOT of dust masks!!

The RFM is now a highly developed, low cost, attachment ,,, well suited for the 3 point hitch.
Development of a replacement may take 20-30 years to just catch up to the existing RFM.

I mention the mower,,, because, probably 90% of the hours put on these machines is mowing.

/ Alternative "sub-compact" tractor solutions #17  
Ah

I thought he was referencing a brand name.

I've operated BXs... just more of the same antiquated conventional tractor design.... not optimized for typical compact applications.

People on here are really sensitive about thier tractors. But don't sweat it. Tractors are cheap compared to the alternatives like skid steers or ,gasp, telehandlers.. That is why they are so popular. Tractors are ok at doing many things but they are not really great at doing anything but pulling implements. Loader work is a perfect example as tractors work but lack visibility compared to something like a skid steer. Anything with 4 wheel steering will blow a tractor away as far as maneuverability as will a skid steer. Mowing with a tractor works but for most homeowner applications a dedicated mower is much faster. Running an auger a skid steer or telehandler will run circles around a tractor as well as give you reverse on the auger which a PTO drive won't do. Nor does the tractor's 3 point have down pressure which is a must in tough soil. Low flow tractor hydraulics won't drive most skid steer attachments or compact skid steer attachments either. They also typically lack protection for things like the engine, undercarriage, and operator. Quality on things like hydraulic valves and hoses is what you would expect for something made in Korea, China, or Japan. I've owned several smaller tractors and I doubt I would buy another one as I like the features in other equipment better. The tractor I ahve now has many of the features (better hydraulics, 3 point downforce, better loader capacity, 4 wheel steer, etc) that I was after but couldn't' find in a "some young son" foreign job.

/ Alternative "sub-compact" tractor solutions #18  
Messicks summed it up well. What machine checks more boxes of what it "can" do than a tractor, related to what most home owners or hobby farmers do?

Sure, I could buy a SS or telehandler, for twice what my tractor cost. And excel at dirt work or post holes. But how am I gonna tow my wood trailers, or mow a 20 acre pasture?

Last edited:
I converted my loader arms, bucket and attachments to a standard skid steer quick attach by using a SSQA takeoff.
I can quickly change front attachments,,,

So, why do I mow with a rear attachment?
Why do I re-grade my driveway with a rear attachment?

DUST!!

I have driven tractors for multiple decades.
I remember when we switched from a front mounted soybean row cultivator to rear mounted 3 point hitch cultivator.

The change in the amount of dust the operator had to eat was unbelievable.
We were willing to go faster, kicking up dust with a rear attachment was no concern.
The front cultivator was easy to see, and easy to keep on the row, but, we drove slow to keep the dust down.

I know the OP is not concerned with row crop machines, but, operators TODAY,, of any machine,,, are concerned with health issues.
Read the threads about CUTS and mowers.
Those that have used both mid and rear finish mowers lean towards rear.
There are a large number of posts about the problems with the mid mowers throwing grass clippings up into the tractor.
That does not happen with a RFM.

I have both a RFM,, and a mid mount mower on similar sized tractors.
I prefer to operate the RFM.
Less dust, less pollen, and less noise,,, I am not sitting right over the mower with the RFM.

I think, as time goes on, you will see more and more users going towards rear attachments.
Either that, or company's will be selling a LOT of dust masks!!

The RFM is now a highly developed, low cost, attachment ,,, well suited for the 3 point hitch.
Development of a replacement may take 20-30 years to just catch up to the existing RFM.

I mention the mower,,, because, probably 90% of the hours put on these machines is mowing.
Ever tried trim, undercut, creek/pondside mowing with a rear mount and a bad neck/back?

I agree, there are many applications that are better suited to rear mount. I'm not attempting to deny that. I also know there are many benefits to front mount. What I'm saying is, the majority of us who own a compact, would see much benefit from a machine that is capable of both.

Your citation is warranted, as even most compact owners do some measure of ground engaging work (tilling, cultivating, light grade work, etc.).

That's the reason for this discussion. I want to hear the pros/cons of various alternative experience, AND why some may/may-not have changed to alternative designs.

/ Alternative "sub-compact" tractor solutions #20  
Agreed.

Aebi makes some amazing units, with regard to hillside operation... but they are BEYOND expensive. (minimum power unit alone is roughly $75k)

The reason I started this thread, is to gauge what people think of alternative units... both with AND without experience.

I get the biggest issues with market acceptance (serviceability, dealer presence, price point, attachments, etc.).

I do like the Power Trac series... but my biggest issues are weight and price.

I'm working on fabricating my own traction unit... but I really want to see what other people's issues are with these machines. I hope to patent/license/sell the machine when finished, so I want it to be a viable/marketable solution.

I have the price point down to roughly $10-$15k in production. My spec'd plans right now will cost me about $10k for the prototype.

I won't go into much detail... but three advantages of my design are an adjustable track width, reversible operator's station, and great hillside stability.

You ever hear of the GOOD, FAST, CHEAP triangle?

You can only pick two.

From everything you describe you want it to do, you may be able to make it yourself for that price with scavenged parts, but only if you don't put a value on your time.