Tractor Sizing Largest SCUT?

/ Largest SCUT? #1  

mile9c1

Bronze Member
Tractor
Deere 425AWS
Are there any tractors sized (physically) in-between a Kubota BX2380 and a B2301? I'd consider any brand. Just exploring my options...

/ Largest SCUT? #2  
You do not notice a significant difference in tractor "size" until weight increases 50%.

Certainly 12" to 14" ground clearance is more desirable than 9" ground clearance.

If in doubt buy heavier.

If you are considering a B2301, also consider the Kubota L2501.

What uses do you project for this tractor?

/ Largest SCUT? #3  
Look into the Branson 2400 series. It's sort of an in between size tractor. There is also the Mahindra max series as well.

/ Largest SCUT? #4  
No much of a difference in the size of the BX and B01 series, why splitting hairs?

/ Largest SCUT? #5  
With all due respect, it's time to put on the bifocals and give the spec sheets a close reading, mile9c1. The bigger tires on the 2301 make it look larger (necessary for traction and ground clearance), but the BX2380 and B2301 are physically very close in size. Actually, if you started out to design the next step up from a BX, you'd likely come up with a B2301. It's just a slightly more capable machine, with the same engine, just bored out slightly, only 50 lbs heavier, slightly longer wheelbase, has a little more hydraulic punch, 3 range HST vs. 2 range, etc. Can't imagine what kind of work would be too much for a BX but a B2301 would be too large.

/ Largest SCUT?
I haven't seen a B2301 and a BX next to each other yet, but I was just at the LS dealer and they had an MT125 and a XJ2025H parked next to each other. On paper these two tractors look close but in person the XJ seemed a lot bigger. So much so that I probably wouldn't consider the XJ. On paper to me these two LS tractors look closer in size than the BX and the B2301. Maybe the larger tires are deceiving in person. I'm not a tractor expert.

I'm looking for a small tractor that will cut approximately 1.5 acres, plow my driveway in the winter, and move mulch around. Maybe dig up some trees if my wife would let me, etc. I know a BX sized tractor would work well. But I don't want to buy one and realize I could have had a little bit bigger tractor, because my wife would never let me trade up. Not before 20 years anyway.

Anyway, I just want the biggest tractor in the smallest tractor package. I mow under a few trees so low seat height is important to me. I don't see anyone list their seat heights.

/ Largest SCUT?
Look into the Branson 2400 series. It's sort of an in between size tractor. There is also the Mahindra max series as well.

Thanks, the Branson 2400 looks interesting. The closest dealer is 90 minutes away though. The Max looks bigger than a B2301 but I'll check out the eMax (dealer is much closer).

/ Largest SCUT? #8  
You mentioned that you are not very familiar with tractors. As a rule of thumb remember that tractors SCUT & CUT tractors in particular are limited by more by traction than anything else. Weight = traction so two tractors that are dimensionally equal the heavier tractor will be more capable.

I learned a long time ago that I'll always find something too big to move with any tractor. Work smarter when possible. Be honest with yourself about what you will do most with the tractor. Mowing, driveway maintenance etc. Are easier on a machine than digging work.

Get on the machines and drive them. Good luck with your search.

/ Largest SCUT? #9  
Conventional wisdom says to buy more tractor than you need because you'll inevitably encounter some project that demands more capability than you expected. But I have to say over 12 years of use, my little BX has done more than I ever expected of it without problems or damage. It is very handy for small scale work, it's easy to park and transport and doesn't tear up lawns or landscaping. It helps that I've also had a much larger tractor that did work we would never attempt with the little BX. The work you describe is easily within the ability of a BX-sized machine, but if you're only going to buy one tractor, one time, it does make sense to go bit larger.

Suggest you try to downplay the "look" of these tractors, and focus on their actual capability. Horsepower, hydraulic capacity, 3 point lift capacity, weight, transmission features (3 range vs. 2 range), type of tires, control layout and functionality... these are some of the major things that go into how productive a tractor can be. Above all, you want to get those things right for your situation. Those bigger tires, for example, mean more traction and better ground clearance, but also give you a higher center of gravity, so the tractor may not be as stable on uneven ground. Which is preferable depends on your particular needs.

/ Largest SCUT?
Thanks for the advice guys. My lawn is relatively flat except for along the roadside (road is elevated a few feet). I'd honestly be best off with a zero-turn and separate tractor but I'm trying to make the tractor/mower work for $$$ reasons.