Tractor Sizing Largest SCUT?

/ Largest SCUT? #11  
My BIL just went through this decision process and bought an LS XJ 2025 with the MMM(mid mount mower. He has 3 acres. He bought the tractor with MMM over a ZT because he wanted to do more that just mow. He is completely happy with his tractor and feels it is sized correctly for his 3 acres.

Of note is the LS XJ 2025 is the smallest LS size that came with the SSQA (skid steer quick attach). That played a big part of choosing that size because he wanted the flexibility of the SSQA. He will eventually have forks and possibly a grapple (Everything Attachments Wicked Root Grapple of course).

If you haven't found all the tractor video's on you tube its a great place to see the size tractors you looking for at work.
Other brands have the SSQA as well.

/ Largest SCUT? #12  
I also had almost no experience with tractors. My MT125 will loose traction fairly easily with the attachments off. We mow about 2 acres with ours and have another acre of grass to mow next year. It is pretty light on the lawn and good for working near the house. We just put 6 tons of rock around as landscaping. I got the MMM instead of a zero turn because of some 20° slopes and storage space limitations. The tractor behaves completely differently with the FEL and BH off. Together they are about 900 lbs. and allow it to punch above its size. I didn't want any bigger for mowing under trees and eventually cleaning out horse stalls. We are just 25 hours in and very pleased with a SCUT.

/ Largest SCUT? #13  
I mow under a few trees so low seat height is important to me. I don't see anyone list seat heights.

Seat height will not be the issue. ROPS height will determine which tree you can mow under. ROPS height is generally listed in tractor specs somewhere, generally folded ROPS height, which informs potential buyers if tractor will enter their garage OK.

I'm looking for a small tractor that will cut approximately 1.5 acres, plow my driveway in the winter, and move mulch around. Maybe dig up some trees if my wife would let me, etc. I know a BX sized tractor would work well. But I don't want to buy one and realize I could have had a little bit bigger tractor.

As you do not expect to enter any woods, nor due any garden crop cultivation, and your land is flat, 9" ground clearance may work for you. No BX size tractor will dig trees efficiently, although some BX owners dig trees inefficiently and enjoy the seat time. BX size tractor is easy to get on and off of, which should be considered if you will plan to operate the tractor after age fifty.

I would prioritize finding a quality tractor dealer no further than twenty miles from your home.

Last edited:
   / Largest SCUT? #15  
Mile,
It occurs to me that your thread title asks about the largest SCUT. Yet a BX23 scut is a smaller SCUT and a B is a small compact and not a SCUT.

Mahindra makes a larger scut. Massey GC1715 is anger than a BX23 in specs but it's Rops is low and a GC1720 adds the hoe but a higher rops. TYM makes a SCUT that is larger than a BX23 but still a SCUT as does Yanmar 324.

/ Largest SCUT? #16  
Thanks for the advice guys. My lawn is relatively flat except for along the roadside (road is elevated a few feet). I'd honestly be best off with a zero-turn and separate tractor but I'm trying to make the tractor/mower work for $$$ reasons.

....If it is for money reasons, you can find a quality used Zero Turn for about the same cost as a MMM for the tractor.
... I just bought a Kubota Kommander Z121S, only a year old with 100 hours on it for less than $2000, and it looks almost brand new.
... And it will mow circles around a scut. Just a thought.