2 Compact tractors, does one of these stick out to be a better deal?

/ 2 Compact tractors, does one of these stick out to be a better deal? #1  

dae06

Tractor
Kubota B2650
I would like to hear your opinions on two tractors I am looking at and tell me if there is one that you think is the one to purchase.

Tractor #1:

2018 New Kubota, B2650 with cab, 60" mid mount mower, 54" bucket on FEL, 60" Box blade and the 60" FEL mounted Snow blade with 3rd function remote to run hydraulic snow chute, rear quick connect, front SSQA. Would pay a $10,000 down payment and finance the rest through Kubota.

$35,000 delivered to my door minus $10,000 down payment= $25,000 interest free loan ($420.00/ month for 5 years)
New 6 year warranty

Tractor #2:

2016 John Deere 2032R, (no cab), 54" Bucket, 62" Mid mount mower deck, 54" Front mount snow blower, 54" front blade (mounts the same as the snow blower (not to the FEL), 3-point hitch rear blade, 142 hours. Good condition.

$23,000 delivered to my door minus $10,000 down payment= $13,000 4% bank loan ($385/mo. for 3 years)
Remaining 4 year power train warranty

I own 18 acres, fairly hilly, not much for trees to worry about. I plan on mowing 4 acres of lawn and 8 acres of pasture as needed. I will be clearing snow from 500 feet of gravel driveway (mine) and 300 feet of asphalt driveway (parents).

My Thoughts:

John Deere:
1). I would need to purchase a box blade for the John Deere.
2). I don't need the rear blade (already have one), but it comes with the package.
3). No cab
4). Snow blower and front blade are on the narrow side for this tractor???? (I think we would love the snow blower)
5). Price is right
6). It's not new
7). I talked with the original owner and he said it was a great tractor, nothing wrong with it. He traded it in for a larger one after buying a farm.

Kubota:
1). Cab. I'm 51 and think the cab would be great for winter snow removal and hot summer mowing, but may increase the possibility of tipping over (slopes).
2). Full warranty
3). No Snow blower, that would bring it way over my budget
4). It's new
5). Rear quick connect would be nice
6). Front SSQA would be nice for universal attachments.

Please let me know if one sticks out as being the best one to buy. I really have no preference between a green or an orange tractor.

Thanks

Edit: 50" of snow/year here in Minnesota, -30 degrees some days.

Last edited:
   / 2 Compact tractors, does one of these stick out to be a better deal? #2  
You didn't tell us where you are and how much snow you get. Unless you get a lot of snow, the front blade is more than adequate and quicker than the blower. We average over 80 inches per year and I hardly ever use my 3 point blower since I got a front blade on my 2320. The 54 inch blade will just cover your tractor width, so it will work. I have a 64 inch blade on mine and it seems about right. (My 2320 is similar in size to both those tractors.

The cab is nice but only really needed in the winter. An option for the JD is an Original Tractor Cab soft cab - about $1000. I always mention this option because I love mine so much.

That's a lot of mowing for either tractor. You can mow pasture with a mid mount mower, but you might think about a bush hog.

I see you have a tough choice. New is nice. $10,000 is a lot of money.

/ 2 Compact tractors, does one of these stick out to be a better deal? #3  
I like both brands, but in this case I think the Kubota is your winner. The cab will be very nice to plow with, mow with and you have few trees to worry about.

How much snow do you get? Will you be plowing only an inch or two or a foot+? Either way, if you plow with the storm and plow at a couple inches, you will be fine. And plowing in a nice heated cab will make you WANT to be out in the storm. :) The blower is nice for deeper drifts and clearing deep snow in single passes, but not always needed. I'd rather have a cab.

With 18 acres, will this be enough tractor for you? I feel like that will be tough to mow 4 acres on a regular basis (weekly?) and 8 more twice or three times a year. On the other hand if you already do this with 5ft (assumed) implements, maybe I'm worried for nothing.

/ 2 Compact tractors, does one of these stick out to be a better deal? #4  
You implied but didn't state specifically whether of not the JD has a loader (bucket size?, SSQA?).
What is your location?
How much do you value the cab?

/ 2 Compact tractors, does one of these stick out to be a better deal? #5  
Agree would be useful to know your location, and your "normal" snowfall per year. How cold are your winters? I personally wouldn't even look at a tractor for snow work unless it had a heated cab. But it gets -40 F here every winter, and that's with no wind chill. For heavy snowfall, it's really hard to beat a snow blower. It gives you more versatility on *where* you can put your snow. Heavy snow years you can run out of space to push it into piles, and have to go back and shove the piles further back (if you have room). With a blower, you can throw it over a fence or hedgerow and not have stacks of snow sitting at the edge of your driveway/parking area.

A place that gets only light dustings of occasional snow, and only drops to the low (+)30's in winter, will get by with an entirely different set of snow equipment than a place that regularly sees feet of snow per storm, and temps in the -30's to -40's.

/ 2 Compact tractors, does one of these stick out to be a better deal?
Sorry,

I live in Minnesota, we average 50" of snow per year. We see -30's every winter worse with windchill, lots of drifting. The JD comes with a 54" FEL bucket.

I will typically mow the 4 acres once a week and the pastures will depend on animals when we get them.

I will edit my first post to have this information in it.

/ 2 Compact tractors, does one of these stick out to be a better deal? #7  
I live in Minnesota, we average 50" of snow per year. We see -30's every winter worse with windchill, lots of drifting.

You know if you don't buy the Kubota, every time this happens you will be regretting not buying it.

/ 2 Compact tractors, does one of these stick out to be a better deal?
   / 2 Compact tractors, does one of these stick out to be a better deal? #9  
For the equipment you listed, the Kubota is the way to go. Will definitely get the job done AND do it in comfort. You can always 'tweak' what you need later like getting a brush hog if needed.

/ 2 Compact tractors, does one of these stick out to be a better deal? #10  
It will be interesting to see other thoughts and opinions come in. I understand your anguish over this decision. I keep thinking, what would I do? A part of that answer is to just try both of them out and see how they "feel". What is the zen after operating both?

One consideration is, how do you feel about spending the extra $10,000. If the answer is - this is a major investment, and I just want to make a good choice, then ......

I think I would go with the Kubota
  • You will like having the 3rd function remote
  • You will like having the SSQA
  • You won't have to pay ~$900 interest (Deere)
  • You don't get a box blade with the Deere
  • You won't curse your decision when removing snow (because you will be snug in your cab)
  • You have 6 year warranty

If however the John Deere just feels better to operate, and the money does matter, then buy the Deere and a good snowmobile suit!

Finally, if you do 0% finance with Kubota, will you have to purchase Kubota insurance? While it is a benefit, it also has a cost that should go into the equation.