NH TC40da and John Deere ? comparison.

/ NH TC40da and John Deere ? comparison. #1  

WHMOBX

Tractor
1954 Ford NAA, 2004 New Holland TC 45 DA
Another new guy here. I found this site a short time ago and am totally thrilled with it. I have been luking a bit, learning my way around, and finally decided to become a member.
I currently have a couple older tractors (Fords-54' NAA and 62' 2000) and am in the market for a new tractor. My wife to be says we need a machine that she can operate too (hydro) so whats a guy to do. Time to get us a new tractor.
My question is ,what John Deere machine compares to this New Holland(TC40DA). I really like the NH(and from what I have been reading here seem to compare with JD's and Kubota), and have always asumed that the JD's were more expensive. What got me thinking was I was told that the JD's hold there value better.
Thanks for any info. Billy

/ NH TC40da and John Deere ? comparison. #2  
Welcome aboard Billy,,,, If we could have a nickle for each lurker out there, I think we could all retire! I lurked for months, then joined, and lurked some more!! I was torn between a Kubota and a New Holland, but couldn't decide, and then Bob Shurka mentioned a PowerTrac in one of his posts that I read whilst lurking! and now I am the proud owner of a PT425. You might want to check out the forum here, or visit www.power-trac.com . I little more information about what you want/need/plan to do with the tractor would get you better responses. What made me get a powertrac tractor was its tight turning radius, its many 'quick-attach' attachments, its ease of operation (hydrostatic driven) and its incredible bang for the buck. Good luck with your buying experience, and keep us posted! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ NH TC40da and John Deere ? comparison. #3  
My guess would be a 4510 is the closest comparison. When I was looking at the TC40da I was also looking at the 4410, but that is only 35 hp compared with the NH's 40. Make sure you check out the case version, which should be the same tractor as the NH only red. On the smaller tractors the case has different seat and headlights, and you can not get it in supersteer.
I think NH has every bit the reputation of Deere and should hold its value just as long. If I was deciding between these two machines I would go with whichever had the better dealer and not look back.
Search the prior threads and you can find a lot of this information is already here. click on the search link, I would change the search time to posts made in the past year and enter your key words. You will find plenty of opinions and information.
Have fun.

/ NH TC40da and John Deere ? comparison.
Thanks guys for your responces. Mostly I will be using my tractor for finish mowing 5 acres. I also have a lot of fence to clear/remove and replace. We will use this for snow removal too. I plow snow and won't be home at times and my wife will need to use the tractor to clear the driveway at times. I will definately price a John Deere befroe I make my final decision. At work they have a few JD's ana one is a 4416, I think, that I was pretty impressed with. Thanks again, I will keep you posted on my progress. Billy

/ NH TC40da and John Deere ? comparison. #5  
First of all, welcome to TBN!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. The area you live in will dictate pricing by a whole bunch. You may find that in your area John Deere may be the most competitive. So don't hold yourself to one brand based on opinions here. I would check them all out. John Deere, Kubota and New Holland all three make great tractors and will all hold their value accordingly. The two tractors you have right now have some age to them and if you keep this new one that long resale won't be of any consideration. I would check out the pricing, get a feel for the dealer that you think is going to give you the best service after the sale, decide which one fits you best, and then take pricing into consideration. Now you don't have to hold yourself to the big three either.

I started out telling myself I was going to get a Kubota or a John Deere. I ended up with a New Holland because I just liked the way it felt and the dealer was and is today most helpful.

Take your time and have fun looking. Buying is just as much fun as owning.

murph

/ NH TC40da and John Deere ? comparison. #6  
Okay, I'll throw in my experience. My local JD dealer is also a NH dealer. They sell 2 JD's to each NH. When I compared the same HP models, the JD tractor always weighed more and felt more solid to me. I've bought several of them new. Also, in my area, the resale difference is real. Like it or not, people like the green. Yeah, I now own orange. JD is a bit slow in coming around to the fact that some people like a factory cab with A/C! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I hate to tell JD, but I kinda of like this Kubota...

I guess around here I have always heard that the JD's were more pricey. I do know a JD guy that sold to the company that I work for that I could get a price from. I will call him, for sure.
I do know that the NH dealer that I got a price from for the TC40 quoted me the same prices as the 2 dealers in North Carolina that are mentioned here and that sell on Ebay, with tax though.

/ NH TC40da and John Deere ? comparison. #8  
Right off the bat I think that a 40hp tractor for 5 acres is overkill unless you have some major land renovation to do. You are comparing a brand new tractor to a piece of antique iron and a piece of classic iron. I guess my thought is that something with lower HP, perhaps a 4wd TC33 or similar tractor from JD or Kubota, with a modern FEL, will easily outwork either of your older tractors. All 3 brands will have HST transmissions available making life easy for your wife. You'd be able to mount a 72 to 84 inch mower deck on a tractor with mid-30's hp, and since mowing 5 acres is your major chore, you might want to look at shorter wheelbase machines to yield quicker turning. Slightly lighter weight might be an advantage if mowing is your major chore.

Again, with a 5 acre lot, even a mid-30hp tractor is on the very large size for that size property. I think a lot of people tend to buy bigger than they need or they tend to look at larger machines when really they need to look at the long term use of the tractor and fit the tractor to the tasks. If it was me, I'd be looking at a mid-20's hp tractor on up to a 30hp, but no larger. You will find a lot of good tractors out there in that range, and many will have HST available (JD, Kubota, NH, Cub, Case, Kioti, Massy & Mahindra come to mind). As for a brand holding its value, I guess my thought is you have old tractors now that probably will sell for nearly what they cost new, if you hold this new tractor for 40 years like you did with the NAA or 2000 then I think you'd probably be pretty happy with the resale, no matter which brand you buy. JMHO

Bob, I appreciate your points. I figured that a 40 was probably overkill, but I did not realize by that much. I had originally considered a tc35. One reason I went bigger is I also had ambitions of using the tractor with a chipper and a wood splitter. I know I have a lot to learn still, but I thought some of these implements would work better with a little more hp. I will be doing some landscaping and grading etc. for a new building(one day). Thanks again for all the input.Billy

/ NH TC40da and John Deere ? comparison. #10  
It's OK - I have 2 acres and a TC40D. The HP will help with the chipper, but not the logsplitter. The splitter is dependent on hydraulic flow, of which the TC40's is adequate at 9.6gpm. A 7ft finish mower goes well with the HP, too.

Mark

PS I also take care of my in-law's 28 acres next door /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif