NH TC40da and John Deere ? comparison.

/ NH TC40da and John Deere ? comparison. #11  
Bob has a good point about size, but I'm a bad example. I have a 50hp tractor for 12 acres. All seemed fine. However, one thing that can be counted on is change. I now have the 50hp tractor with about 180 acres. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Now I'm big time too small. Go figure...

/ NH TC40da and John Deere ? comparison. #12  
I would tend to agree that a 40hp machine would be a bit big for 5 acres. The large machine would probably work well, but if you have any tight spaces a smaller one would work better. A comparable machine to the TC40DA would be the Deere 4120. They just introduced their new 4000 Twenty series. I quickly skimmed the thread and didn't see the 4000 Twenties mentioned. The 4120 is 43 hp and you can get it in hydro. What I like about the large chassis NHs, like the TC40, and the Deeres is that they are the dual pedal HST system. There's nothing wrong with the single pedal system, just that I find it a little awkward. You also can't use differential braking with the single pedals (Well, you probably could if you used cruise control, but if it is a confined area cruise won't be any good.) which may be important, especially with such a big machine on so little land. As for the small amount of land, I've seen as big a tractor on much less. The neighbor has a large chassis NH that he got about a few years ago. His entire lot is about an acre to an acre and a half. Put a house on there and there is very little space for the beast. The sad thing is, is the machine is in the garage for most of the year. The only time I ever see it out is during the winter. The drive way is about 100', so even in winter it isn't used much. It probably takes longer to warm it up than to plow the drive way! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ NH TC40da and John Deere ? comparison. #13  
Billy,
I think it might help if you think of all the work you want to accomplish rather than your lot size. Even though I only have 10 acres I would, in hindsight, consider going larger than I have.

The 4510 uses the larger frame and the 4410 is the mid size frame. If getting around tight spaces is a concern then look at the smaller size of the 4410 or its current equivilant.

I find that I can get my tractor in and around everything I need to but there are times I wish I had a bit more weight, HP and loader capacity. If you are on the fence I recomend going larger if you can afford it.

My 2 cents.....
Mark

/ NH TC40da and John Deere ? comparison. #14  
I was looking at this size NH and JD, but when my wife climbed on both, there was no prying her off the Deere. If your wife hopes to use, be sure both of you go try them on for size!

I agree that a mid size unit would do better for you. Even the splitter shouldn't make a difference, as most folks end up preferring a self powered one, to keep the tractor freed up.

/ NH TC40da and John Deere ? comparison. #15  
Billy - naturally I think the large-frame Deere's are great but I've had a summer to compare my 4710 to our NAA. On paper I felt that the 4710 wouldn't be too different size wise to the NAA - just obviously more modern with better hydraulics and more hp. In the flesh - the difference is a bit more apparent and the 4710 looks and feels substantially bigger and heavier. I love it - but if you are looking for a new tractor more along the lines of an updated NAA/2000 - I think you'd be closer with something in the TC33 / Deere 4310 or 4410 area. If you research the postings here - Deere has sold a lot of 4310's to happy TBN owners.