Tractors with no FEL

/ Tractors with no FEL #11  
<font color="green"> I believe the John Deeres come with an SCV (Selective Control Valve) standard on the 4WD compacts and are optional on the 2WD.</font>

All current JD CUTs are 4WD only amd include the SCV. But that doesn't mean taht the buyer is paying for something they don't need. Making these standerd lowers operating costs and raises the resale value.

/ Tractors with no FEL #12  
You will use the FEL for unloading the harrow, lifting the logs so that you can get a chain on them, lifting the logs off the ground to cut them into firewood lenths, carrying then to and from the logsplitter and wood pile, and from the large wood pile to the small one near the house, carrying your saw/gas/oil/chaps/wedges/cant hook, into the woods.

I had a tractor without a fel or 4wd. I now have one with both.

If you decide not to get a FEL, get a carry all. That is probably the best piece of equipment that you will own if you are FELless. You will use it all the time.

/ Tractors with no FEL #13  
DrRod, one additional point that I don't see anyone else mentioning is, all of today's FELs are quick-tach. That means that you can easily remove it when you don't want it, say for mowing or tilling. Some makes - i.e. JD & MF - where the frame becomes the stand are possibly quicker to remove than others, but all are easier to remove than you average lawn tractor mower deck, except maybe Simplicity.

Trust the opinions of others here when they say you do need a FEL. I wouldn't buy a CUT without one either. As a bit of an argument for the CFO, it usually is cheaper by maybe $1500 to buy the FEL with the tractor, than to purchase one later.

/ Tractors with no FEL #14  
"plan to use it for brush hogging"

Your riding along hogging down all the tall weeds when you come across a tree that has fallen in the field. W/out the FEL.. you'd have to go around it.. or take the attachment off so you can hook a chain and drag it out of the way. W/ the FEL.. you can just push it to the side.. and be on your way to finish your task. An FEL is the ultimate brush guard for the front of your tractor.

/ Tractors with no FEL
I know, I know -- everyone has told me to get a FEL, and I'll be amazed at how much I use it. But I really don't want one. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Its the length -- they add about 25-30% to the length of the tractor and (a) my garage is packed already, and (b) my trails are tight. I suppose I could add one later but as pointed out it will cost more.

I just wondered if I was paying for "set-up" gear on the tractor that I didn't need. But it appears the cost is negligable and its best to be prepared for a future addition.

Thanks for your comments,

Rod

/ Tractors with no FEL #16  
I would really really consider getting the FEL also. Get a quick attach setup on the bucket, and you can drop the bucket in 30 seconds for tighter spots, mowing visibility, storage etc. If you want to save a dollar or two, the shipping will kill you if you buy the FEL later. You can detach the FEL and use the hyd ports as remotes, that should save you some $$ for adding them right now. And you will get most if not all of your money back that you spent for the FEL if resale is important to you. Oh yeah, the biggest reason, you WILL use the pee out of it.

/ Tractors with no FEL #17  
Dr. Rod, I bought my first ever tractor last November I'm not sure how big of place your maintaining I'm working with 347 acres in the Texas hillcountry and there has not been one day since November that I haven't used/needed the FEL whether I'm mowing or plowing. drilling holes in the ground or blading the road everyday for almost a year means even a newbie like me can't live without it. Get the FEL in 6 months start a thread stating all the uses you've found for it you'll be amazed. Heck a week ago my wife decided to help me before I got home by compacting the new fill I put on the lake dam and got sideways on a 25 degree slope, she called me and told me I'd probably want to come home in the daylight because she was afraid to drive it off the dam I took one look and decided I ain't even getting in it so with a nylon strap wrapped around the beam between the front door and the back I chained up to it with the FEL and had her drive it off the dam it tried to turn over multiple times on its way down now the CFO is glad we got the FEL as well or her $30,000 trooper would have been reduced to salvage.
Steve

/ Tractors with no FEL #18  
I mean no offense by this DrRod, but when more experienced TBNers strongly suggest buying a tractor with a FEL, it's best to listen to them. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Make room in your garage for a longer tractor and if needed, remove it for trail work. You will regret buying a tractor without a FEL.

Newbies arrive at TBN with a list of tasks they know they want to accomplish with a tractor. However, after they get a tractor with a FEL, they discover a whole new world of tasks they can complete that they could not have imagined before they had a tractor with a FEL.

/ Tractors with no FEL #19  
On TBN Hydrostatic and FEL go hand and hand. What do you expect out of a bunch of baby boomers!

What's great about this land is we all have the choice to get what we feel will make us satisfied. Some people like gears and some have no need for a FEL. I have managed 30 years without an FEL and my father before me many more years, but my next tractor will have one because I now have some use for it. Each individual has to determine if their use will justify the added cost.

/ Tractors with no FEL #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have managed 30 years without an FEL and my father before me many more years, )</font>

Shoot, I've managed 57 years without a tractor, and my father before me for 69 years. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif