Tractor w/backhoe for $17k or less - which one??

/ Tractor w/backhoe for $17k or less - which one?? #41  
Dmace said:
There is just no way of knowing what a used tractor has been through. I agree that buying new is your best bet.

What? No way! I bought a 1963 ford 4000 with a loader and 14' hoe for $3000. What a deal. All it needed was one little gear in the transmission, which turned into a complete trans overhaul (including the case!). Oh and that noise in the rear end? Broken pinion, but don't worry - the case is cracked too! What? The ticking sound from the engine? Just a couple pistons with broken ring lands from some chuckle head using ether. Nothing a complete rebuild won't fix. Front end slop? Just needs new king pins, bearings and bushings! The power steering is a bit hard? Simple, rebuild the pump, the column the cylinder and replace all the lines. Loader and hoe leak down too quick? Just repack 11 cylinders and they will stay up just fine!

Uh, hmmmm.... maybe new is the way to go after all!

jb

/ Tractor w/backhoe for $17k or less - which one?? #42  
Well, I'm not sure this is fiscally responsible - but here's the logic I used to buy a new BX-24 recently on a 0% 3 year loan.
1. Obtained contractor estimates for the projects I needed done around my 3 acre parcel.
2. Estimated the rental costs for renting equipment to do this myself.
3. Estimated the depreciation on buying a new BX, using it for several years, and selling it when the projects are completed.
4. Included a positive factor for the convenience of having the tractor handy for the odd job that I hadn't planned on.
5. Added a negative "tractor lust" factor for having a childhood with not enough Tonka toys and play tractors :rolleyes: :D

With any kind of luck, I calculate I'm several thousand dollars ahead. But, worst case I break even, get lots of seat time and fulfill my tractor lust. :cool:

As a result of all this wonderful logic, I bought the BX-24 with a Land Pride box scraper with Top-N-Tilt, without any buyers remorse or second thoughts...and it only took me a year to make up my mind. :eek: