Tractor w/backhoe for $17k or less - which one??

/ Tractor w/backhoe for $17k or less - which one?? #11  
Service after the sale should be an important consideration when buying. Where and how easy will it be to get your tractor to the dealer? Think about resale value also, I know you said you plan on keeping it from now on and I thought the same thing about my first three or four. One of them was a really priced right import that my cousin tried to talk me out of buying. He bought a well known utility tractor and I bought the really priced right import. Three years later when we moved up he got almost what he had in his while I struggled and couldn't get 50 percent of mine. Since then all mine have all been well known makes.

/ Tractor w/backhoe for $17k or less - which one??
Wow, those Kioti tractors are cheap but they look pretty nice. I'll have to do some reading around the internet about them. You save money upfront but resale is definitely something to consider. I can't think of any reason that I would sell it but who knows. Things happen.

There is a Kioti dealer about 50 miles from me (and several within 100 miles of me) so I think I may ride down there in the morning and take a closer look at them.

/ Tractor w/backhoe for $17k or less - which one?? #13  
Consider the Mitsubishi built Mahindra 15 series also. The 2015 with a ML104 loader and a 2710 backhoe is a nice rig. It is similar in size to the Kioti CK20, so it is not a scut. Very nice, and priced reasonable.

/ Tractor w/backhoe for $17k or less - which one?? #14  
Be interesting to see all the brands side by side to do a real comparative observation. From what I noticed the other day at a show,the Kioti offered the best bang for the buck. Now not all brands were there,nor are the offered up here.

/ Tractor w/backhoe for $17k or less - which one??
The Kioti definitely seems to be reasonably priced but as a former certified diesel mechanic, I'm not sure than I can bring myself to buy something with a "Daedong" engine in it. These may be good engines, but I would rather stick with somewhat of a name brand. I have personally worked on many Yanmar engines and I know that they are good.

I didn't get a chance to go check out the Kioti yesterday so I'm not going to rule them out until I see them in person and get a real world price.

If there isn't that much difference in price, I'll probably stick with one of the more well known brands.

/ Tractor w/backhoe for $17k or less - which one?? #16  
You are where I was for many months before I decided on a BX24... Here were my thoughts (not right, just thoughts):
When I looked at the Kioti's it barely started - ran really rough, smoked a ton, and my wife said yuck...
Physically, the Kioti was bigger, and seemed to be a nice rig but the undercarriage was a lot more complicated for the MMM than the BX24...
Many members here pointed out that if you were going to be doing a lot of finish work, the BX24's MMM romps the Kioti's...
I looked at the Mihindria's, too big and "unfinished"...
I looked at the same JD - too much money...
Kubota dealer was the best place I have ever done business with - they earned it before I even spent a dime...
My wife pointed out a couple of things - going small like the BX24 - might mean the need to upgrade someday... a first tier tractor (like the Kubota) will resell much better... and she loved the dealership.
Thing I like about the BX24 after putting around 30 hours on it so far is this - it's small enough to get into anywhere I would EVER want... and get back out too. From my experience - it can do anything a bigger tractor can - just takes longer... and explain how that's a bad thing ;)

/ Tractor w/backhoe for $17k or less - which one?? #17  
The Daedong engines have been very reliable.. My engine runs very smoothly after a 1 1/2 years of use. It starts like the day i got it, evey time, no smoke.. Youll get many opinions on here on what to buy, but dont be afraid of the Kiotis. My dealer has been selling Kiotis for 21 years here in Upstate Ny, Hes got customers who have 8000 hours on their tractors and hes had no major problems to date. Our local highway departments are using them as well, and they wouldnt be if they werent reliable. Their are lots of good brands out there, Test them all and see which one feels best for you.. Good luck

/ Tractor w/backhoe for $17k or less - which one?? #18  
Dragula,

Don't know where you are located, but have you looked at the classified ads?
Mahindra 2015 HST

/ Tractor w/backhoe for $17k or less - which one?? #19  
I've been (recently) quoted the Kioti CK20 TLB - exact package that Islander has - new for $17,600. Right in your price range.

As far as the "Daedong" engine - they've (Daedong the company) been making tractors for about as long as Kubota, and have been selling them in the US as Kioti brand for over 20 years. You'll also find the "Daedong" engine in about as many other brand tractors as you'll find Mitsubishi, Kubota, and Yanmar engines. I think it's a strong point that Kioti is one of the few tractor companies out there actually making their own machines AND engines.

Just my 2cents.

/ Tractor w/backhoe for $17k or less - which one?? #20  
I will reiterate that the Kioti CK20 TLB is a quality machine and engine. Mine starts immediately without smoke. I wonder if the guy who saw smoke and rough starting knows what the glow plug function on the ignition is for? Any diesel started without preheat will likely start rough and belch for a few seconds.

I also agree that for many folks who want occasional access to a BH but are primarily interested in mowing well manicured lawns that the BX24 is a wonderful option. I do rough mowing and brush clearing so the Kioti makes more sense for me. Lots more tractor for the $$$ but it has different strengths and compromises than the SCUT mower prioritized BX24. The BX MMM is far better.