Compact Tractor Horsepower Comparisons

/ Compact Tractor Horsepower Comparisons #71  
Turbys_1700 said:
But how many of us ever try to lift 2200# with our 3-pt. hitch?

Ah, shucks. I thought you were talking about the loader! I would have raised my hand in a heartbeat!

As for the 3ph... Well, a heavy duty brush hog (8'+) weighs that much (or close enough to it) and they get lifted all of the time. No?

/ Compact Tractor Horsepower Comparisons #72  
I agree with Charles. I think a lot of people push the limits of their machines. First they push the limits of their budget and get as much machine as they can afford. Then, there are times when a little more machine would be useful and they push the limits. Accurate specs affect both decisions. They need to be in the ballpark.

/ Compact Tractor Horsepower Comparisons #73  
Turby, we sell three different paint schemes of tractors which gives us a good handle on about 6 makes of compacts! They do not all perform to use the word loosely (about) the same. I'll go with the fact that they all have big tires on the rear and small ones on the front. They have a seat mid way and are equipped with a roll bar and at least one hydraulic pump. After that it is a matter of how they use the parts and what the parts are made of. The longeviety of the products stands out as some we call three thousand hour tractor! That means for a commercial guy, his repair incident becomes to much with about 1500 to 2000 hours with what we call nickel and dime problems till about 3000 hours and then it will begin to need a major repair. We see some makes that will go three thousand hours plus without repairs and still doing daily work. Tractors are built differently and to a home owner it may not make that much of a difference as the hours are only about 50 to 100 a year. With a commercial account some put on the fifty hours in a week!

/ Compact Tractor Horsepower Comparisons #74  
Here's a show on RFD TV that'll hopefully help some folks out.

"Cracking the Horsepower Code"

Dec 18th, at 8:00pm EST on RFD TV

Here's what the ad says.

"Watch and learn how to find your way through the confusing maze of today's tractor horsepower ratings and terminology. Knowing the differences between horsepower ratings can help you make the best informed decision when you purchase your next tractor."

(I should sidenote that this is presented by John Deere and that it has a live call-in segment that will let you talk to JD's experts. So take it as it is.)

I got this off the back of JD's agriculture based magazine so the show might be aimed at higher HP related ag tractors.