40-55hp CUT or Utility Tractor for 20 acre horse farm in Michigan

/ 40-55hp CUT or Utility Tractor for 20 acre horse farm in Michigan
Mike120 said:
Just a quick point on hay....I would never give horses round bales. It's too easy for it to get moldy in the field and you end up with colic. Cattle can eat rounds and pretty much anything else because of their multiple stomachs, horses only have one and it's pretty sensitive. Stick with the square bales and you don't need a spike.

Noted - but my wife actually began college in an equine program and is quite conscious of feed issues. We are currently inspecting pretty much every flake of hay that we feed to check for mold, though in the better stuff we just bought there is zero mold. OTOH I am 99% convinced that round bales DON'T make sense for us, however I don't think the wife is convinced...

BleedGreen said:
Hello "Z"

First of all, let me say that you are doing a great job preparing for such a major purchase... I have been selling Deere equipment for 15 yrs or so and I wish more of my customers would do the same kind of prep work as you! Obviously from my experience (and screen name :D ) I am "slightly" biased towards Deere - but don't get me wrong, Kubota makes a very good product, and I don't think you could go wrong with either green or orange. That being said, I wanted to throw out a few comments and specifications for you, if you don't mind...
Anyway, thanks for reading... I have a tendency to be long-winded, so I appreciate you taking the time to read it all. I hope I was of some help to you either way! Thanks!!!

Thanks - useful info. However I'm now leaning towards a larger CUT after doing more thinking and shopping. Explanatory post to follow in a minute.

Went shopping yesterday and did a lot more thinking. First the thinking. I was told by two different dealers yesterday that typical round bales in my area are 800lbs, which means I don't need nearly as much loader lift as I thought (for 1200lb bales). I would definitely want a big safety margin, but it seems like 1500lbs lift (@19.7" forward) would be enough. Second, I am really questioning if round bales will ever make sense for us, especially if we increase our pasture acreage so we only need to feed hay for 2-4 months a year instead of 5-6. Lastly, I'm taking the comments here about too big a tractor being unnecessary hp and damaging my lawn. Still no intent to use it for finish mowing, but I don't need a beast just for show.

Now the shopping. I went to the nearest Kioti dealer, about 35 miles away. Long drive compared to other brands. The dealer seemed pretty good and had in stock a DK55 and DK35, both showing a lot of aging from being outside on the lot. I drove both, and they both seemed like really good, solid tractors. A few glitches - the FEL lift wasn't working on the DK55, and the 3ph hydraulics weren't working on either one - probably just weren't turned on, but the salesman didn't know what the issue or control was. Apart from those glitches, they seemed good. Then we went in and I got prices on a DK40, which would be on the low end of what I have been looking at. With a FEL and quick attach, and a gear transmission, the quote was around $24,500...which seems a couple k$ higher than what I would pay for similar from another brand (e.g. L4400 @$20.4k w/o quick attach). That plus the distance to the dealer pretty much knocks Kioti off my list. I'm still impressed with the quality though, so if someone has a dealer closer by I would recommend you take a look.

Then I went back to my nearby Kubota/NH dealer which has been so helpful. I chatted with the guy and asked to drive the NH TC45DA, since I hadn't driven any NH's before and thought I should compare. They only had HST in stock, so that's what I drove. I was actually fairly impressed with it, especially for the ergonomics and visibility from the seat. I'm also rethinking my anti-hydro bias, as I can see how it would be really convenient for loader work and tight maneuvering. I did a lot of backing, tight turning, etc. to get a feel for working around obstacles and I found it very easy to use. I'm also wondering if use of a shuttle shift for our work would wear the clutch fast, and no point saving money up front if I'm just replacing a clutch every 2-3 years instead. Then I drove the L5030, also HST, and was reasonably impressed with that also (he is eager to clear this one out, I think). The Kubota HST is definitely smoother to accelerate than the NH (or JD on the 4310) but I really don't like how HST and brake pedals are on the same side, so you can't use both at once. The NH has them on different sides so I can make a definite stop when I want to, vs. relying on the HST slowing me down. I also prefer the two separate pedals you get on a NH, though that's not as big a deal for me. The NH has a lot more plastic, but since everyone but Kubota is using plastic fenders (I noticed that Kioti does, even though their tractors otherwise look like Kubota clones) I'm not sure that's so bad. I also don't like the PTO control location on the L30, and I wonder why the L30 HST has a clutch when NH and JD HST tractors don't. I got prices on both, and including current rebates both would $24,600 (one is $35 more, I think). That's about the same I would pay for a "real utility", but again I'm rethinking that HST might make sense. Between the TC45 and L5030, for the same price the L5030 has more FEL lift, more 3ph lift, and 5 more hp... but the ergonomics of the TC45 might actually swing me toward it.

I'm debating whether to look at JD again. I appreciate the post on the 5105 but at least for now I've backed away from that size for any brand. I am debating whether I would take a JD 4120 at the same price as NH or Kubota. My quote of 25k on the 4120 was for gear so I assume hydro will be $1000 or more extra, just to compare apples to apples. I also think I would want a 4320 if I went hydro, which would be something like $1800 more again. May need to call a different dealer for price comparison. Not trying to parallel the "Why is green paint so expensive" forum but around here it does seem to be.

EquipmentUser said:
If you have a Cat dealer nearby you may want to take a look at Challenger. It's the same line of equipment as Massey Ferguson.

Appreciate the info. I'd never heard of Challenger or their CAT connection before. I have a CAT dealer about 15 miles away, but I didn't know they did anything but construction equipment. I'll have to call them and see. The MF look good from the website so Challenger would presumably be equally good. And a yellow tractor would be different and kinda cool. Gee, is AGCO everywhere? Especially funny given that CASE owns both NH and International.

/ 40-55hp CUT or Utility Tractor for 20 acre horse farm in Michigan #35  
Z-Michigan said:
Appreciate the info. I'd never heard of Challenger or their CAT connection before. I have a CAT dealer about 15 miles away, but I didn't know they did anything but construction equipment. I'll have to call them and see. The MF look good from the website so Challenger would presumably be equally good. And a yellow tractor would be different and kinda cool. Gee, is AGCO everywhere? Especially funny given that CASE owns both NH and International.
Yes, all Cat dealers or most of them anyway have agri-business divisons for selling the Challenger equipment line by Agco and Lexion combines by Claas. Take a look at the challenger website Challenger - We're Up to The Challenge.

/ 40-55hp CUT or Utility Tractor for 20 acre horse farm in Michigan #36  
Z-Michigan said:
Case doesn't own NH and International. Case is a division of Case-New Holland, a subsidiary of Fiat.

/ 40-55hp CUT or Utility Tractor for 20 acre horse farm in Michigan #37  
Z-Michigan,
I've been looking at simular sizes over the past few months for 13plus acres (hilly, 75% wooded, and a lot of tree movement needed). Here are the prices I got:

New Holland 45a -- $24,400 (quick release FEL, Grabble, Cover)
Kubuta L4400 -- $22,600 (non-quick release FEL, cover)
JD 3720 -- $26,000 - (FEL & Cover)
Massey 1547-- did not visit as distance was far (estimated price was $24,000)

If you get the automatic, your wife can do a lot more while you site in the lawn chair with a beer and supervise!:D My wife declined this proposition so I'm going with the NH 45a.

/ 40-55hp CUT or Utility Tractor for 20 acre horse farm in Michigan #38  
Z-Michigan,

HST is great for FEL work, fantastic
But, it can be beat by a skilled driver and it costs a TON and it's a lot more parts to break/go wrong and it SUCKS for long tedius tasks (field mowing, tilling, etc)
It's super for lawnmowers, I'm not convinced for bigger stuff (I know, don't yell at me)
Lot of extra money.
There's no way that round bales only weigh 800 lbs. None. My FEL says it can lift 1400lbs and I wouldn't even try it with that. Those big square bales weigh close to 2000lbs, the round bales are about physically the same size.

/ 40-55hp CUT or Utility Tractor for 20 acre horse farm in Michigan #39  
Qualifier: I have nothing against Green, Red, Blue or any other color; these are just my experiences.

I have a 5030 HST. I have personally, with zero problem, moved 3000 lb (weighed on a scale) pallets of sod with my 5030 and 853 loader with forks.

I have moved large bales (4 x 4 x 8 = 1500 lbs and 4 x 4 x6 = 800 lbs, again scaled weighed) with ease. I also snowplow miles of heavy snow with a curtis power angle blade, which seems to place a heavier load on the tractor than my 7 foot offset disc. I have experienced zero negative features of HST, even with ground engagement tasks.

I love the finesse that I am able to obtain with the HST; it absolutely reduces "cockpit workload". It allows me to concentrate on the task outside of the cab, which increases my safety inside of the cab.

PS: The 5030 brakes are linked, and can be separated and operated individually to turn the tractor by using the "crusie control" hand lever.

YMMV

Z-Michigan said:
Now the shopping. I went to the nearest Kioti dealer, about 35 miles away. *** Then we went in and I got prices on a DK40, which would be on the low end of what I have been looking at. With a FEL and quick attach, and a gear transmission, the quote was around $24,500...which seems a couple k$ higher than what I would pay for similar from another brand (e.g. L4400 @$20.4k w/o quick attach). That plus the distance to the dealer pretty much knocks Kioti off my list. I'm still impressed with the quality though, so if someone has a dealer closer by I would recommend you take a look.

Ok, this is embarrassing but I have to make a correction. The Kioti dealer gave me both list prices and his sale price, but I only heard the list price. Now that I refer to his card, the actual quote he gave me to sell a DK40 with quick attach FEL was $21,203. Now that I realize that I see that it could be a good deal, and at worst is comparable to other brands. The Kubota L4400 is a bit less and has more hp but probably less features overall. So maybe I won't knock Kioti off my list completely.

Went to another JD dealer today and browsed. Wow, JD dealers are not hurting for $$$ to spend on nice facilities. This dealer was quite large and had virtually the whole 5xxx series in the parking lot, along with a 4120, 3120, 2xxx and lots of used stuff (not to mention a brand new combine, four enormous sprayer-tractors, skid loaders, etc.). No prices on anything of course (all local dealers are closed Sundays). The 5xxx tractors look rather, umm, basic to me, with the straddle deck over the transmission, etc. I looked at the big stuff and I can see that serious ag JD equipment is very nice. However, I have no need for a 15,000lb tractor with 300hp... or whatever the ratio would be in that size range.

Also stopped by the local CAT dealer. No sign that they sell any tractors, ever have sold tractors, or have any interest in selling them. I'm not sure I'll even bother calling them. Unless I decide to buy the D8T dozer they had on the lot!