100+ hp tractor suggestions

/ 100+ hp tractor suggestions #1  

Slippy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6000 4wd; IH x2; NHTC40DSS; International 1086; JD 5115M
Looking for suggestions for a good 100+ hp tractor to pull a batwing mower. Will need to mow 200+ acres this summer 2x. I know this is larger than most discussions on this board, but any suggestions would be appriciated. Have looked at TW25 and JD4440 and 4450. Will be buying batwing mower too, and this will be its only use right now. May use next year on bailer. But for now, want to get things cut nice and keep it short so I don't have a bunch of dead grass build up that will make for not so good hay next year. If I wait, grass will get tall and big cut will make a mess that won't compost.
Any suggestions would be appriciated.

/ 100+ hp tractor suggestions #2  
Have you considered having somebody else mow it for a fee right now so that you can take the time to make an informed decision without being rushed? I know you know tractors but the last thing you want to do is feel rushed to judgement on this big of a purchase.

Good Luck!

/ 100+ hp tractor suggestions #3  
What is your budget? New Holland has the TD-D line available with cab and FWA and is good affordable hp. As for older tractors, the 66 and 86 series Internationals were good machines. The Ford TW's are good tractors but if you are looking at one have a Ford/NH mechanic look it over for you as they had some issues.

I did not follow the John Deere line to be of much help with them but if you want some great real world advice about these tractors go to Viewing a forum - Machinery Talk and ask these guys. They will give you loads of information.

/ 100+ hp tractor suggestions #4  
I work at a farm sometimes and they have a new McCormick CX105. Perkins diesel. I can't compare it to other tractors unfortunatly. Real nice tractor though.

/ 100+ hp tractor suggestions
There are many reasons for not hiring it out, although that is a great idea. Lets just say that is not an option for me.

Budget...cheap. I would like to be in the 10 to 15k range. I am looking at older tractors with 4000 to 6000 hrs on them. I only expect to use it a couple of times a year, so I hate to have much tied up in it. Plus, will need a mower that I expect will be in the 4k to 7k range.

I was thinking Deere, Ford or International becasue of parts and service availability. I would think that with 100 to 140 ptohp I can move along pretty quickly.

Robert: I went to the Ag site but can't figure out how to post. Any suggestions?

/ 100+ hp tractor suggestions #6  
I'd say a good used Case-IH 5140 or maybe a MX series like the 130 would take care of it with a 12' mower.

/ 100+ hp tractor suggestions #7  
Two years ago I ran an older Case CX100 (84hp I think). It was dependable and parts were still availible except the dealer wanted $300 for a new alt. Ended up getting a different one (from something else, not sure what) and making it work. We were under a deadline so getting it rebuilt and back in was out of the question.

/ 100+ hp tractor suggestions #8  
Slippy said:
There are many reasons for not hiring it out, although that is a great idea. Lets just say that is not an option for me.

Budget...cheap. I would like to be in the 10 to 15k range. I am looking at older tractors with 4000 to 6000 hrs on them. I only expect to use it a couple of times a year, so I hate to have much tied up in it. Plus, will need a mower that I expect will be in the 4k to 7k range.

I was thinking Deere, Ford or International becasue of parts and service availability. I would think that with 100 to 140 ptohp I can move along pretty quickly.

Robert: I went to the Ag site but can't figure out how to post. Any suggestions?

I would look at 1980s vintage Case 2WD tractors.

A Case 2594 (180 hp pto) recently sold on eBay for $7611 (7700 hours).

A Case 2390 (150 hp pto) sold for $7800 (4319 hours).

A Case 2290 (130 hp engine) sold for $7250.

I'm not saying that you should buy on eBay. But you should be able to find something at a dealer or in the classifieds in your area.

/ 100+ hp tractor suggestions #9  
We just bought this Case 1200 for $4500. It needs tires and a seat. This is a true 4 wheel drive that is not articulated, has 4 wheel steering, turns very sharp, 120hp.:)

Attachments

• Case 1200 006.jpg
    Case 1200 006.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 997
  • Case 1200 008.jpg
    Case 1200 008.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 713
   / 100+ hp tractor suggestions #10  
You have to set up an account and log in to post on Ag Talk.

What size mower are you looking to buy? There is the Ford 7610, 7710, 7810 which is 87 pto hp but can be turned up to 120hp easily if you feel the need for more hp. They are all basically the same tractor but are slightly different. The 7610 is more of a low profile tractor. Just remember, there are two different Ford/NH 7610 tractors. There is one from the 80's and then there is the 7610S from the late 90's There is also the Ford 8210 which is 100 pto hp. The 10 series Ford tractors are very nice tractors.

Are you looking for just a tractor to pull it with and anything will do or are you looking for any specific options like a cab or FWA? How many remotes will the brush chopper require? Both John Deere and New Holland have more of a price line of tractors that are more of a bare bones tractor like these older tractors and the price of these new ones is not as bad as you might think. It never hurts to ask though as it will give you a basis for how much you will want to spend on a used machine in your area.