How far would you drive..........

/ How far would you drive.......... #1  

Iowa Boy

Tractor
John Deere LT180
............to save $1000 on a compact tractor? At this point it is more of a hypothetical question than anything, since I don't have two firm quites in hand, but it seems like there is a great deal of variation in prices from area to area. I have really just started looking, but I'll give you an example:

Since I have a JD riding mower, I have started my semi-serious search with JD products, although I have no strict brand loyalty. I have a great JD dealer nearby, but they tend to be on the high side. Based on discussions I have seen on this board, I believe I could buy the same tractor (2320) elsewhere for quite a bit less. In fact, a dealer about 400 miles away is advertising the same tractor for just over $1000 less than my dealer's "best" price.

I know this is not just a Deere thing. I have seen quite a variation in prices for other models too, even after I weed out the super low prices that are thrown out there, maybe to look like the poster did better than they really did.

So, how far would you go to save $1000 on a $16,000 tractor?

Joe

/ How far would you drive.......... #2  
what's the gas going to cost, and what's your time worth?

With my truck towing the empty trailer 400 miles then loaded trailer 400 miles home, I'm going to burn probably 75 gallons of gas, so roughly $225 in fuel. plus 14-15 hours of driving and time at dealer, may require an overnight stay. No way I would go that far for $1000, but I value my time.

200-250 miles makes an easy day trip and less fuel, that would probably be my max.

/ How far would you drive.......... #3  
I purchased from Kentucky I'm in Kaulifornia, but I saved 5k.My local guy a mile from me would not budge. I’ve a feeling if you showed up with an open checkbook, your local guy would come down - heck at least split the difference.

I can see a dealer holding out for the 5k like mine did, but to lose a sale for 1k, ( scratching my head).

The downside is for the 1k, you will be ostracized by the local dealer, and always be put on the back of the list when it comes to service. Other dealers have flat out said they won't touch a tractor not purchased from them, and they are willing to take the hit from the manufacturer.

Dealers are getting wise and ticked off by the low ball tractor sellers. If you never need service like Idid it's OK, but watch out if you do need service.

/ How far would you drive.......... #4  
report those crappy dealers to the main company. They signed to support all work on those tractors (JD, NH, whatever), who cares if you bought it there or not?

anyway, for my first tractor, I drove to Muskogee, OK (east of Tulsa), about 12 hours away, saved a couple grand for sure, esp over green. (Sid's Farm Supply), that paid for the gas and stay.

The current tractor is coming from a dealer in Pennsylvania, including shipping it's 6000 dollars cheaper than local, even the local guy said it was cheaper than he can get it from.

They get plenty of money from me locally for implements, service, parts, etc, and even he admitted that for 6 grand he'd probably do the same.

/ How far would you drive.......... #5  
LoneCowboy said:
report those crappy dealers to the main company. They signed to support all work on those tractors (JD, NH, whatever), who cares if you bought it there or not?
Word.

/ How far would you drive.......... #6  
Dealers generate a lot of income from the service area. I find it hard to believe they would turn away the income. Backburner perhaps, turn down green money, doubtful..........

/ How far would you drive.......... #7  
I'd go 40-50 miles. When I need service I need service. I understand that if your tractor is a hobby it doesn't matter when it gets serviced. Every dealer I know puts the machines he's sold first in the service que. Also the machine he's sold are likely to get loaners if service takes a long time.

Andy

/ How far would you drive.......... #8  
This is exactly the situation that I have been thinking alot about, the last year or so. I have mixed feelings on it. I first get extremely agrevated that it is a higher price locally, from a dealer that you have purchased stuff from; then I wonder, is it because of higher overhead, with taxes, higher priced help, little extras that they through in or sell at a discount at time of purchase etc. If I understand it correctly, every dealer pays the same for tractors, so I hope it's a case of higher overhead instead of greed. I feel for you on the decision. Let us know what you decide and how it works out.
Daryle

/ How far would you drive.......... #9  
1st. thing, take the avertised price to your local dealer and see if he'll match it., I couldn't aford the green paint, so went, 100.miles to swinford's just north of stillwater ok. and got a mf1528, package deal. could'nt be happyer.
the package was, 16' trailer, tractor w/ fel, 60"mf brush hog,box blade.
17,000.00 out the door. new 2006.
Tractorhouse.com, it really pays to shop around. oh yea, I almst forgot, they delivered it the same day, go figure
david

/ How far would you drive.......... #10  
I live in PA and bought my used bx1500 from a guy in Wisconson. He was 1000 miles away. I used a sight called Uship.com. It is a bunch of indepandent haulers who bid on your job. I had my tractor 5 days after I bought it. Cost me $300. The gy who delivered it was driving a 17' enclosed Ryder truck.