How far would you drive..........

/ How far would you drive.......... #11  
i'd simply look at the economics of it and weigh out the benefits versus the costs.

one option that i've considered is that a lot of dealers/sellers will give you the first 200 delivery free, so you could ask the dealer to bring it that far and you meet them at the 200 mile point, pick the tractor up and bring it home. doesn't fix the whole problem, but saves a few hundred miles.

one thing my wife and i have talked about was simply making picking the tractor up a road trip and stopping and seeing the sites along the way, assuming of course there's stuff to see.

kwolfe, or anyone else, did you buy sight unseen? or did you fly out and look and then have it shipped?

/ How far would you drive.......... #12  
I've seen people drive 2-3 hours but nothing over that. I would really think long and hard before deciding to rule out the local dealer. A lot of the dealers that are a bit higher than others have a lot more knowledgable employees hence the overhead to pay good employees. This is not always the case, but a lot of the time it is. A dealer is going to be a lot quicker to help you out in a sticky situation if you bought the tractor from them.

/ How far would you drive.......... #13  
lets see want it bad!

$1000 /2 $500 each way /3.00 a gallon 166 gallons @ 10 miles / gallon 1600 miles one way.

so I would do 500 miles
tommu56

/ How far would you drive.......... #14  
Cacinok said:
i'd simply look at the economics of it and weigh out the benefits versus the costs.

one option that i've considered is that a lot of dealers/sellers will give you the first 200 delivery free, so you could ask the dealer to bring it that far and you meet them at the 200 mile point, pick the tractor up and bring it home. doesn't fix the whole problem, but saves a few hundred miles.

one thing my wife and i have talked about was simply making picking the tractor up a road trip and stopping and seeing the sites along the way, assuming of course there's stuff to see.

kwolfe, or anyone else, did you buy sight unseen? or did you fly out and look and then have it shipped?

I requested numerous pictures before purchasing. The tractor only had 94 hours on it, and the dealer who was selling it, had sold it to the original owner and had performed the 50hr service. I also requested the the tractor be inspected and an defects be documented in writing.

If I were buying an older tractor with more hours on it, I would insist on seeing it up close. I figure I saved around $1500 at least in this deal.

/ How far would you drive.......... #15  
kwolfe said:
I requested numerous pictures before purchasing. The tractor only had 94 hours on it, and the dealer who was selling it, had sold it to the original owner and had performed the 50hr service. I also requested the the tractor be inspected and an defects be documented in writing.

If I were buying an older tractor with more hours on it, I would insist on seeing it up close. I figure I saved around $1500 at least in this deal.
thanks. definitely helps that it was a dealer selling it. sounds like you got a deal.