D40 Wouldn't Start. Found Out Why.

/ D40 Wouldn't Start. Found Out Why. #1  

AKtinman

Tractor
John Deere X585
I've got a D40 with 235 hours on it, and it has always started right up. Last time I tried to use it, it would crank just fine, but no start.

I was puzzled, as nothing seemed out of order.

Today I had time to troubleshoot the problem, but there was nothing that seemed out of the ordinary. I decided to check the fuses, and pulled the instrument panel.

Here is what I found:

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I need to get a cat!

Hopefully I can purchase just the connector, and not an entire wiring harness. I'm thinking my local small-town dealer won't have what I need in stock. I'll find out next week.

/ D40 Wouldn't Start. Found Out Why. #2  
What did this mice?

/ D40 Wouldn't Start. Found Out Why.
Yeah, a mouse nest behind the instrument panel.

You can see how they chewed up the corners on the connector, as well as chewing through wires in 8 or 10 places.

I didn't have time to see if the connector can be disassembled. Some of the wires are cut so close to the connector that repair by soldering may not be possible.

/ D40 Wouldn't Start. Found Out Why. #4  
Its a little late now but I read on TBN about using Bounce fabric softner sheets place around to prevent mice. I have had a problem with mice in my detached garage and so I tried it. So far wherever I have bounce sheets there have been no mice. It might prevent the next time.

/ D40 Wouldn't Start. Found Out Why. #5  
Its a little late now but I read on TBN about using Bounce fabric softner sheets place around to prevent mice. I have had a problem with mice in my detached garage and so I tried it. So far wherever I have bounce sheets there have been no mice. It might prevent the next time.

Had similar problem with my TC40DS http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ng/81821-tc40da-rabbit-turtle-switch-not.html I've been using bags of moth balls for years and no problems. I'm going to try the Bounce sheets, since they smell better!

Let us know what you find with the connector.

/ D40 Wouldn't Start. Found Out Why. #6  
Yikes..sure doesn't take those buggers long to built once they decide.

Had somewhat same problem couple years back,kept my engine block heater plug in and did run tractor for couple weeks mice built hotel,started tractor smelt smoke than saw smoke,took some time w/ air hose to clean that mess. :(

/ D40 Wouldn't Start. Found Out Why. #7  
I have hated cats for 35 of my 37 years until 2 summers ago. My daughter was given 2 6 week old kittens. I put in a kitty door in the barn. I have not had a mouse since in the barn or house. I am lucky, they go outside to do there business, do not climb or craw on my stuff, and only eat about $8 worth of food a month. I did have to pay to get each fixed, $80 total.

Its been the best money I have spent. 2 years with no issues other than a Tom Cat that moved in to my barn. He would pee on everything so I caught him and moved him 3 miles away. He came back so I took care of him for good.

Chris

Update:

This morning I went to the Case dealer and they had no info on a new connector. All they could do was to sell me a new wiring harness for $486 plus shipping!

I next went to McMaster New Holland in Decatur and these guys really went all out to help. At one point, the owner and three employees were at the computer trying to figure out what connector might work. One employee made several phone calls and finally came up with a part number for me. He spent an hour altogether doing research on my problem.

From his help, I will order my connector and socket contacts from Mouser Electronics (I've ordered from them in the past and they are very good to deal with). Looks like the Plug will be 571-2073041 at $2.25 and the Socket Contact (13 needed) 571-66101-4 is .67 each, for a total of $10.96 plus shipping, much better than nearly $500!

Note that I have purchased a Stihl chain saw and a gas trimmer from McMaster New Holland, plus some smaller supplies, but no tractor or big stuff. I really appreciate them helping me out even though they didn't make any $$ off me today.

I'll post another update when parts arrive and I do the repair.

/ D40 Wouldn't Start. Found Out Why. #9  
Great news! My guess is McMaster will get not only your future business but also from others who read this board. Wish I could take my buisness there.

Final update on this project.

I did a temporary repair to be able to use the tractor as needed during the summer.

Taking care of elderly family members does not allow much spare time, and I just now was able to get this repair done properly. No complaints, just life in the slow lane...

Here is the connector and pins ordered from Mouser Electronics:
standard.jpg

I used #16 Teflon-insulated wire I had on hand, and tagged each wire. The number on the wire refers to the number on the connector, and the HM number refers to the number ID on the factory wiring, followed by the color of the wire.
standard.jpg

Final photo shows installation complete.
standard.jpg

Not a difficult repair, but one where you do not need distractions. I soldered & heat-shrinked the connections and everything went together smoothly.

Oh, yeah, final assembly included a box of moth balls ;)

Again, a big thank-you to the folks at McMaster New Holland in Decatur http://www.mcmasternewholland.com/ for taking the time to do the research for the correct parts.