D40 Wouldn't Start. Found Out Why.

/ D40 Wouldn't Start. Found Out Why. #11  
Update:

This morning I went to the Case dealer and they had no info on a new connector. All they could do was to sell me a new wiring harness for $486 plus shipping!

I next went to McMaster New Holland in Decatur and these guys really went all out to help. At one point, the owner and three employees were at the computer trying to figure out what connector might work. One employee made several phone calls and finally came up with a part number for me. He spent an hour altogether doing research on my problem.

From his help, I will order my connector and socket contacts from Mouser Electronics (I've ordered from them in the past and they are very good to deal with). Looks like the Plug will be 571-2073041 at $2.25 and the Socket Contact (13 needed) 571-66101-4 is .67 each, for a total of $10.96 plus shipping, much better than nearly $500!

Note that I have purchased a Stihl chain saw and a gas trimmer from McMaster New Holland, plus some smaller supplies, but no tractor or big stuff. I really appreciate them helping me out even though they didn't make any $$ off me today.

I'll post another update when parts arrive and I do the repair.

I think my next stop would be to purchase a couple dozen doughnuts and take by McMaster New Holland in Decatur along with a great big thank you.

/ D40 Wouldn't Start. Found Out Why. #12  
I was going to suggest Mouser or Digi-Key, but you already figured that out. they have been getting my money for many years on electronic repair items. If one dont work try the other. You did a nice repair job, very professional.
James K0UA

/ D40 Wouldn't Start. Found Out Why.
You did a nice repair job, very professional.
James K0UA

Thank you for the kind words!

I figured posting my repair here might help out someone else who does not own a cat ;)

In a previous life I was a USCG Aviation Structural Mechanic, so attention to detail was paramount for safety. A few years of ham radio experience was also helpful!

Ron
NX5D

Last edited:
   / D40 Wouldn't Start. Found Out Why. #14  
Looks great. Nice job. Now time for a barn cat.

I agree. Next time you are in the neighbor hood drop them guys off at the parts counter a dozen doughnuts or a pizza for lunch. They will be grateful and remember you. Also recommending them to your friends will also go along way.

Some shops just get it and some do not. Happy customers, even if they just give free advise, will make them money 10 times over.

Chris

/ D40 Wouldn't Start. Found Out Why. #15  
Ron, nice job on the connector. How are things going with your place in Crafton? Somehow I missed your earlier post back in April, but I could not agree with you more. McMaster New Holland is my dealer and you know why. What do you think of all their Mahindra tractors out front? That's a big, big change in direction for them. They have always been exclusively Ford or New Holland.

BTW: I think Mickey McMaster who runs the parts counter could be elected to any office he wanted to run for in Wise County, but he'd rather do what he does. I really like the way they have installed the flat screen monitor behind the counter, up on the display so you can help ID the parts you are looking for.

/ D40 Wouldn't Start. Found Out Why.
Hi Jim:

Thanks for the compliment! Have got my building finished, need time for some of the details around the outside. Have a new fence along the North side of my 80 acres, and lots of mesquite to work on and hogs to trap!
standard.jpg

Mahindra was a surprise for me, but I imagine McMaster is making adjustments to maintain a good market share.

Yeah, the flat screen behind the counter is a good idea. It sure makes it easier when both parties are on the same screen ;)