Temperature gauge JX95

/ Temperature gauge JX95 #1  

Bob Hall

Tractor
JX95 IH
I have a JX95 and my temperature gauge is not functioning. I have power at the sending unit and I have power at the gauge. I tried plugging in a new dash cluster and the gauge did not work on it either. I then put a new sending unit on the plug and put it in water that was at least 180 deg. and it still did not work. I then plugged the new cluster in with the new sending unit and that still did not work. At the back of the gauge there are 3 terminals or studs in a triangular pattern. The center one is ground one side is full voltage and the other is the sending voltage and I have current on both sides. Does anyone have a clue.:confused2:

/ Temperature gauge JX95 #2  
If the sending unit has only one wire leading to it, your hot water test is invalid. The sender would need a return ground path added, as the tractor chasis and engine provide a ground path when the components are installed.

I think your sender is bad and you have not tested it properly.

/ Temperature gauge JX95
There are 2 wires going to the sending unit and when I performed the standalone test putting it in a cup of hot water there was 2 wires going to the sending unit unless you think that quite possibly the unit still needs to be grounded also. it is a possibility I will check it out.

/ Temperature gauge JX95 #4  
Was the sender you removed located in the top middle of the cylinder head, or in the water pump housing?

/ Temperature gauge JX95
water pump housing

/ Temperature gauge JX95 #6  
water pump housing

That sender provides a signal for the cold start advance mechanism in the injection pump. The temp sender for the instrument panel gauge is a single wire sender screwed into the top center of the cylinder head.

/ Temperature gauge JX95
Cool, thank you very much. I was starting to think I was crazy or something. That makes total sense.