About to pull the trigger

/ About to pull the trigger #1  

grayson1

O.K., I am about to pull the trigger and buy a Branson Tractor. I have debated long and hard about going with somewhat of an unknown unit. I believe Bransons have been on the market about 4 years. I am new to the tractor market, and many advise to go Deere, New Holland or Kubota.

I have looked at John Deere, New Holland, Kubota, Cub Cadet, Kioti and Branson. I have studied the products long and hard and read most everything in these forums. When carefully compared to the others, the Branson seems to stack up well, if not better. And of course, the price is better.

I had finally reduced my list to a New Holland TC35 w/FEL or a Branson 3510 or 3520. John Deers models 4300 series were much smaller units and the 990 series are too high. The New Holland dealer came in with a fairly good price of 17K, which put it much closer in price to the Branson. So, the delima that many have discussed in this forum, New Holland or Branson? I had heard of numerous problems with the NH units, so I reviewed the forum posts here and it appears that there are several "problem" posts, but that may be relative to the population of NH in the field. I have no idea what kind of sales there have been on the Branson lines.

SO, I am seeking a little feedback. Is NH worth the extra $1400 for big blue and big dealership? Even though the NH is short a few features compared to the Branson?

I know Branson makes the mid size John Deere units, so Kukje must be pretty solid. What I do not know is sales / business plan for Branson and how well they are doing. Are dealerships and parts availability growing?

Are there any owners with any hours on their Bransons? How reliable and how satisfied are you? Have you had any problems? Has parts been an issue?

Finally, is the Branson 3520 with heavier loader worth it over the 3510?

Thanks.

/ About to pull the trigger #2  
As the proud owner of a Century 3045 I can say I have zero regrets. I have found the extra weight of the Century extremely valuable while doing FEL work. I would recommend the larger frame 20 series over the 10. The bigger tires and wider track give it more stability. Can't comment on the loader as I have the C-50 which is the biggest difference between Century and Branson. In reading the forums I get a sense that NH has a higher degree of problems than others. My only issues have been a few loose hydraulic fittings on the loader. You give no information in your property or intended use, so I'll qualify what I say by assuming the NH TC35 or Branson 3520 are suitable for your intended use.

Good luck with your decision

Pacesetter

/ About to pull the trigger
Pacesetter, thanks for the input.

As for the property, I have determined that a 35-40hp would meet my needs. I have 95 acres, about 18 tillable/field acres and the balance in timber. The terrain is flat to gently rolling. My intended use is bushhog, tilling of some small food plots, dragging some downed timber and tree tops out of the woods, maintaining a long gravel drive and any other general use around the farm. This is a recreational tract, so I will not be using the tractor every day. Typically on weekends and some vacation time.

Since I have limited time, I want a tractor that will work when I need it. I do not have time to work on a tractor. This why I am shying from used. Plus, the price on used tractors is not too far off from buying a new Branson.

The dealer feels the 2810 would suffice, but I am going to step up a little in size to make sure I have enough power. I drove the 3510 and 3520 and feel they will meet my needs and also keep my price within reason.

Hopefully I will get some more feedback on reliability and parts availability. My theory is that I hope I will not need too many parts!

I have heard some dealers pushing other products say that Century/Bransons are not selling. My Branson dealer tells me he can't keep them in stock.

thanks again,
Grayson

/ About to pull the trigger #4  
If you are in hills and are expecting to do some logging, I would definitely would go for the larger framed tractor, mainly for the clearance and stability. The sales of the Century/Branson tractor increase monthly.
Chuck M

/ About to pull the trigger #5  
Hi. I have a century 3045 also and I'm very happy with it. I have about 90 hrs on it and haven't had any problems. I would and have recomended it as the best value out there. Go red. and you won't be sorry.
We had 5 degrees the other morning and I had to go out and start it up just to see how well it would start in the cold. turned on the preheat, waitted 10 seconds, hit the key and it was running. Sure was different than my ford 1910.

/ About to pull the trigger #6  
I am a Branson dealer, so I admit bias, but I will give you my honest opinion anyway!

The tractors are selling very well and the company continues to see fantastic growth. They have tripled sales two years in a row, and I expect Century sales have been similar. This company is here to stay and we can expect more and more dealers in 2004. Branson is serious about parts support. If I don't have it in stock, they will ship the part to me the same day if they receive my request by 2pm.

As for the John Deere connection, I believe all the Kukje built Deere's are sold in the Asian market, I don't know that we see any of them here, and they are the larger tractors, at least compared to CUTs. The Yanmar and Cummins connections also add credibility.

The tractors aren't perfect, but they are very, very good. Plus they are nice and stout.

I personally like the 4020 better than the 3520, just because of the HP.

Best of luck,

/ About to pull the trigger #7  
I have 31 hrs. on my 4020. I am very happy with it,you won't go wrong with a Branson. Go with 20 series.

/ About to pull the trigger #8  
grayson1
I agree with the others. Go with the larger frame. Century/Branson are excellent tractors and you will not be sorry.
Chipperman

/ About to pull the trigger #9  
Just to add. You will be much happier with the "20" series dragging lumber than the "10". I would even think about going to the 40 hp if you intend to use a 3-pt winch. Of all your intended uses, that would be the most demanding. Trouble is, once you get the tractor, you start wanting to use it for things you never intended at the time of purchase. I moved some huge boulders with the FEL and I was glad I had the tractor weight and FEL capacity. Haven't used all the HP yet, but that's OK. I am sure i will next year when I finally take the 6' bush hog out to the back "14".

Pacesetter

/ About to pull the trigger
All, thanks for the info. Some good input. I will definitely stick to the 20 series. Glad to hear there is confidence and positive experience with the product.

Now the delima is to decide if I want to spend more money for the 4020! Decisions, decisions......

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if any other Branson experiences are posted.

Thanks again,
Grayson1