New Stihl 260

/ New Stihl 260 #11  
I bought my 260 last fall. I wanted a light saw for some property line clearing I have been working at-I used it for about 1 hour on that project. The light weight was really appreciated, but cutting 4-8" limbs and saplings did not tell much about the power of the saw.

I have since burned about three tanks of fuel helping my brother cut a tri-axle load of logs. The 260 seems to be picking up power with each tankful. It won't cut with my brother's 460, but what can you expect? I could easily cut the whole load with the 260-the 20" logs would take a little time-but I would be enjoying the lightness and handiness of the 260 on the 8-14" logs.

Will

/ New Stihl 260 #12  
Buck,

What size bar did you get with your saw? I think the 16 inch is standard, but I'm wondering how the 260 works with the 18 or 20 inch bar.

Anyone have any comments on the longer bars for this saw?

/ New Stihl 260 #13  
Watch them there flip caps. They'll trick you into thinking they are locked. I poured a half tank of bar oil down my pants leg and on my boot. Bar oil stays a while on pants and boots.

You got that right. Today I topped off the bar oil reservoir and *thought* the cap was fully seated. Went to start the chain saw (cold start) and as I'm tuggin, oil is slinging everywhere. Lost about 1/2 a tank myself.

/ New Stihl 260 #14  
Buck,

What size bar did you get with your saw? I think the 16 inch is standard, but I'm wondering how the 260 works with the 18 or 20 inch bar.

Anyone have any comments on the longer bars for this saw?

I too would be interested as to what size bar you got. I have an older 290 that I bought with a 16" bar then got a 20" last year. The 20" works fine but I could have probably just bought the 18" from the get go and saved my self a little money on bars.

/ New Stihl 260 #15  
I bought my 260 with a 15" (metric 16") bar. I really enjoy having a good saw after using junk. I've got maybe 100/150 tanks through it now and its been reliable. The only negative thing I can say is I have to clean my air filter a lot more frequently than friends who cut with me with husky's turbo cleaner thing. To be fair, its a 2 sec flip of the thumb and wipe of the screen but you notice the saw getting lazy and have to remember to clean every tank.

/ New Stihl 260 #16  
I have a 16" bar on mine. I am cutting hardwoods, so I thought that a 20" would be a stretch-and I have a Husky 66 with a 20" bar.

Will

/ New Stihl 260 #17  
I have a 20" bar on mine. No issues. 3 saws total 14, 16 & 20 on the 260.

/ New Stihl 260
I bought it with a 16" bar. Actually the dealer had two 260s both with 18" bars. Per my request he changed it out to a 16" bar and took $10.00 off the price.

/ New Stihl 260 #19  
The gas cap is a pain in a** to reseat. Haven't had a problem with the bar oil cap.

-Mike-

/ New Stihl 260 #20  
I'm not sure what saw I have, maybe a MS250, probably not near the saw the 260 is. I also have problems with the oil cap. I've found its easier to put back on if you don't quite fill it to the very top.