New Stihl 260

/ New Stihl 260 #1  

buck12

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota 5460HSTC
Bought my first real saw today a Stihl 260. I know the 261 is out but none of the dealers in my area had one and did not know when they would get one. I got home in time to cut a few limbs in the yard. So far it's so much better than the Poulan I have been using. I wanted a light weight saw that will last and this seemed to fit the bill. It will get a good workout tomorrow at the hunting camp. The only thing I am disappointed in is the case. The case has a cheap hinge like a $2 Walmart tool box. Even the hinge on the Poulan case is an actual plastic hinge. Thanks to those that posted answers to my questions in previous threads.

/ New Stihl 260 #2  
You're going to enjoy that saw - probably about $50 cheaper than 261 also.

/ New Stihl 260 #3  
What does a new 260 cost now days and did it come with .325 chain?

I just picked up a 026 pro to play with and it dont pull 3/8 worth a crap compared to my other stock 0-50cc saws that pull 3/8. Just a few of them I have backed back down to .325, like a Jonsered 490 that I wasnt happy with the way it pulled 3/8 in hardwoods.

/ New Stihl 260 #4  
Bought my first real saw today a Stihl 260. I know the 261 is out but none of the dealers in my area had one and did not know when they would get one. I got home in time to cut a few limbs in the yard. So far it's so much better than the Poulan I have been using. I wanted a light weight saw that will last and this seemed to fit the bill. It will get a good workout tomorrow at the hunting camp. The only thing I am disappointed in is the case. The case has a cheap hinge like a $2 Walmart tool box. Even the hinge on the Poulan case is an actual plastic hinge. Thanks to those that posted answers to my questions in previous threads.
Now I'm worried about my cases, so I checked them. The case for my 1980 Stihl 031 has plastic hinges. The case handle broke years ago. The case for my 2005 Stihl MS310 has the cheap type that bends the plastic and will fail eventually. All latches on both cases are still working.

/ New Stihl 260 #5  
I am borrowing my dad 031 AV and when/if it stops working the 260/261 is what Id like to replace it with.. Its way more saw than I probably need - BUT being a professional model I am assuming it will still run strongly like the 031 does as it gets older..

congrats on your new purchase.. I assume you are wearing your chaps and ear protections :)

brian

/ New Stihl 260
What does a new 260 cost now days and did it come with .325 chain?

I just picked up a 026 pro to play with and it dont pull 3/8 worth a crap compared to my other stock 0-50cc saws that pull 3/8. Just a few of them I have backed back down to .325, like a Jonsered 490 that I wasnt happy with the way it pulled 3/8 in hardwoods.

Cost is $519. You can get the 260 with either .325 or 3/8 and 16", 18", or 20". I opted for the .325 after seeking advice on TBN.

/ New Stihl 260
Ran the saw a little today (two tanks) and was impressed. Of course the only thing I have to compare to is my Dad's Poulan and Husky. I am not sure that I like the flip caps. The gas cap works fine but the bar oil cap seems a bit finicky. I am sure I will get used to it.

/ New Stihl 260 #8  
You'll like the 260. It's "right-sized" for my small farm. Small enough for easy handling but big enough for the tough jobs. Watch them there flip caps. They'll trick you into thinking they are locked. I poured a half tank of bar oil down my pants leg and on my boot. Bar oil stays a while on pants and boots.

/ New Stihl 260 #9  
They'll trick you into thinking they are locked. I poured a half tank of bar oil down my pants leg and on my boot. Bar oil stays a while on pants and boots.

:thumbsup: I cant remember off hand if it was the 361 or 200T that got me good like that. I'm thinking it was the 361 :ashamed: and those over thought out caps :confused2:.

/ New Stihl 260 #10  
Congrats on the purchase:thumbsup: