Looking at a 441 Stihl

/ Looking at a 441 Stihl #1  

jcmseven

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2320; 4520
I have my eye on a 441 Stihl chainsaw. I currently have a 291 Farm Boss which I use irregularly but has done well for me around the house. It is a good saw in good shape. Before spring hits I am planning to cut down several at risk trees and cut into firewood some that have already fallen. Some of these are large trees and almost all of them are hard wood. I was looking to into a larger saw because I felt that the type of cutting would benefit from the larger engine and ability to run a 28" bar. I have looked at the 460, but it is some more expensive than the 441. Does anyone have thought about where I should go here??

John M

/ Looking at a 441 Stihl #2  
That is a very good saw...
I've not run one but know people who have them and they like them...
I would have to have a lot of cutting to do to justify one...
Pretty much a hot rod...
Around here the saw of choice for most folk is the farm boss...
Some will say it is a pig but they have proven themselves over the years...

/ Looking at a 441 Stihl #3  
The 441 is no doubt a good runner.

But by the context of your post, it seems you want the best performance at the lowest cost. (why you dont want the 460).

If that is the case, I would go to dolmarusa.com and see if you have a dealer near by.

If you do, look seriously at a PS7900. Stock for stock, you probabally wont find a saw under $1000 that will out cut it. It eats the 441 and 460 and even the 372xp from husky.

It really is the top dog saw, until you get up in the 650 and 660 stihls or the 385 and 395 huskys.

/ Looking at a 441 Stihl #4  
Can't argue with LD about the Dolmar. I never used nor have seen one personally, but they have a pretty reputation on the Arboristsite. A few things to remember about the MS441 and MS460 is that the 460 has more power, almost exactly the same weight as 441 and is "old school" technology. The 441 is more fuel efficient and has the new tech air intake design.

/ Looking at a 441 Stihl #5  
Not trying to start a brand war. Just my observation. Probably 90% (or more) of the loggers here use Stihl saws. I'm sure they have good reasons. I've never seen a Dolmar on a logging job.

I have three Stihl saws and a pole trimmer. You won't go wrong with the Stihl. I have a 046 Magnum (old number for the MS460) and it's a beast! It outperforms any other saw that I've ever tried, except the bigger Stihls.

As far as the 441 -vs- 460, I can't say. I would think that the extra 1/2 hp (10%) of the 460 would make a difference. The 28" bar might be a load on the 441, but the 460 will handle it easily. That's what I run on mine.

/ Looking at a 441 Stihl #6  
Not trying to start a brand war. Just my observation. Probably 90% (or more) of the loggers here use Stihl saws. I'm sure they have good reasons. I've never seen a Dolmar on a logging job.

I have three Stihl saws and a pole trimmer. You won't go wrong with the Stihl. I have a 046 Magnum (old number for the MS460) and it's a beast! It outperforms any other saw that I've ever tried, except the bigger Stihls.

As far as the 441 -vs- 460, I can't say. I would think that the extra 1/2 hp (10%) of the 460 would make a difference. The 28" bar might be a load on the 441, but the 460 will handle it easily. That's what I run on mine.

Same thing here with the Stihl's...
We have a good Dolmar dealer here in Taylorsville but multiple Stihl delaers...
I don't know where jcmseven lives at in western NC but Taylorsville may not be a long drive...

/ Looking at a 441 Stihl #7  

A couple of reasons for that.

First, stihl has the best dealer network and dealer support.

That is something that doesnt matter much to us "weekend warrior" types. Most of us do our own maintenance and tune-ups and filter changes etc. Those "pros" always have a dealer service the saw.

Second reason that Stihl and Husky are popular among big loggers is that they offer 120cc saws. (MS880, and 3120xp). Dolmars current biggest offering is only a 90cc saw. And big outfits like to have all one brand. Makes things easier. And dolmar doesnt offer a "large" saw, so they dont buy any of their smaller ones either.

Third, what the loggers use (the grunts doing the work) dont really know much about chainsaws, and dont even have a say as to what they get ordered. (at least the few around here I have talked too). Last time asplund (tree trimmers...not loggers) was in my area doing powerline trimming, they were using huskies. I was cutting up the trees they were clearing for firewood. Had out my dolmar 6400 w/84cc kit. They were pretty impressed. With the sound and cut speed. A few of them (nice guys) asked to take a look at the saw. Their comment "I've never heard of dolmar before":confused2:

Anyone that makes their living w/chainsaws, and knows a little about them surely would know what a dolmar is:confused2:

/ Looking at a 441 Stihl #8  
Yep, in my neck of the woods up here all you see the loggers using is Stihl or Husky. Dolmar is not marketed here.

/ Looking at a 441 Stihl #9  
Ditto here. Most cutters i've seen use stihl and they use their own saws. I own one too but the specs on the Dolmar look pretty good. I might be interested, i think closest "dealer" is somebody in cosmopolis.

/ Looking at a 441 Stihl #10  
I'd have no reservations about buying the 441, they're fun to use and cut like the devil himself. A bit heavy for limbing, but that's not what they're meant to do. If you go that route, the 290, although a good saw in it's own right, isn't in the same league as the 441. A different animal altogether.

I have the old version, the 044. I can honestly say I've never run anything with that much power and acceleration before, but I'm not a pro cutter either.
Pretty steep price tag for a new one as I recall, I got mine in pieces in a big cardboard box about 4 years ago for next to nothing... I put a few bucks into it for seals and bearings and haven't spent a dime on it since. It doesn't get used a lot, to be fair.

Dolmar (Sachs-Dolmar then) got a really bad name here back in the late 70's and 80's and have never recovered the market share. To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a Dolmar dealer in Nova Scotia at all.

They were up against Husky/Jonsered and Partner at that time, and now Stihl and Husky are the two biggest players locally.

I'm sure the Dolmar saws are much improved since then, but once burned twice shy as the saying goes.

Sean