Looking at a 441 Stihl

/ Looking at a 441 Stihl #11  
I've got a 441 and two things I like about this saw I haven't seen mentioned here are the fuel economy and the antivibration setup.

/ Looking at a 441 Stihl #12  
Use to own 2 041 Stihl's , one had a 28" bar , other had 18" bar . No expert , but I do kick myself for not swapping the 28" bar for the 25" bar that I now have on my 441 . Either 041 had no problem pulling the 28" bar through the white and black oak that we have around here , some as large as 30" + .

Quite happy with the 441 , especially the compression release , ( if I remember to use it :ashamed: although on first pull I DO REMEMBER if you get my drift:confused2: ) .

Fred H.

/ Looking at a 441 Stihl #13  
I've got a 441 and two things I like about this saw I haven't seen mentioned here are the fuel economy and the antivibration setup.

I'm not sure "fuel economy" should be used in the same sentence as "044"..:laughing: I actually think my 044 is pretty hard on gas, although when you consider the work it does I don't begrudge one drop of fuel burned.

The newer 441's may be pretty good on fuel, I've not run one.

I agree completely about the anti-vibe, for a 72 cc saw it's as smooth as silk.

Sean

/ Looking at a 441 Stihl #14  
Quite happy with the 441 , especially the compression release , ( if I remember to use it :ashamed: although on first pull I DO REMEMBER if you get my drift:confused2: ) .

Fred H.

Fred,

My 044 doesn't have a comp release, I've learned to start it the same way I used to start old 4-stroke dirt bikes. Ease it over until it's coming up on compression, then pull like you mean it.

Sean

/ Looking at a 441 Stihl #15  
I've got a 260 and a 441. Love them both. 441 uses about the same gas as the 260 and does a lot more work/ faster. It's also smoother. I bought mine from a dealer who used to sell both Stihl and Husky. He dropped Husky after umpteen years because they became too big a pain to deal with. A 441 any day. My 2 cents worth.

/ Looking at a 441 Stihl #16  
I am looking at the 441 also. Good reviews in most places. The only bad comments are related to weight and chunky "feel". The 441 C-M model has an electronic carb and Arborsite tests on that model show its cut times are pretty close to both the 460 and Dolmar. A few comment that the adjustable oiler is a little low on output for bars over 25 inches. My dealer is getting info on a R version with higher output oiler, bigger dawns and some other external changes. I bought a 260 some years ago and still have sticker shock on the MS441 price (almost $1000 inc tax with a couple extra chains and files).

/ Looking at a 441 Stihl #17  
A couple of reasons for that.

First, stihl has the best dealer network and dealer support.

That is something that doesnt matter much to us "weekend warrior" types. Most of us do our own maintenance and tune-ups and filter changes etc. Those "pros" always have a dealer service the saw.

Second reason that Stihl and Husky are popular among big loggers is that they offer 120cc saws. (MS880, and 3120xp). Dolmars current biggest offering is only a 90cc saw. And big outfits like to have all one brand. Makes things easier. And dolmar doesnt offer a "large" saw, so they dont buy any of their smaller ones either.

Third, what the loggers use (the grunts doing the work) dont really know much about chainsaws, and dont even have a say as to what they get ordered. (at least the few around here I have talked too). Last time asplund (tree trimmers...not loggers) was in my area doing powerline trimming, they were using huskies. I was cutting up the trees they were clearing for firewood. Had out my dolmar 6400 w/84cc kit. They were pretty impressed. With the sound and cut speed. A few of them (nice guys) asked to take a look at the saw. Their comment "I've never heard of dolmar before":confused2:

Anyone that makes their living w/chainsaws, and knows a little about them surely would know what a dolmar is:confused2:

Dealer network and service is very important. Mechanical stuff will eventually break or wear out. Things have to be replaced. And, if you have a tree down across your fence, you need it now, not in a few days.

While I agree that most businesses like to have all of the equipment the same brand for convienence, there's another reason: Stihl saws work. Very, very little down time. And down time is money lost. Period. It's simple economics.

Contrary to what many people see on Ax Men, or other TV shows, most loggers around here are small companies with a handful of employees. (and those will likely be family) The "grunts" have a lot to do with which saw is purchased, since the owner will be using it himself.

Just my :2cents:

BTW, I know what a Dolmar is, I just stated that nobody I know uses them. ;)

/ Looking at a 441 Stihl #18  
I am looking at the 441 also. Good reviews in most places. The only bad comments are related to weight and chunky "feel". The 441 C-M model has an electronic carb and Arborsite tests on that model show its cut times are pretty close to both the 460 and Dolmar. A few comment that the adjustable oiler is a little low on output for bars over 25 inches. My dealer is getting info on a R version with higher output oiler, bigger dawns and some other external changes. I bought a 260 some years ago and still have sticker shock on the MS441 price (almost $1000 inc tax with a couple extra chains and files).
I didn't think the stock oiler in the 441 was sufficient for a 20" bar so I put in the high output oiler. I think it's the one used in the 460. This was just my opinion so I did it. If I was to order one with what I wanted I'd get the Arctic version too. When the hands get cold I like to grab my 346XPG.

Last edited:
   / Looking at a 441 Stihl #19  
Stihl saws work. Very, very little down time.

I think that has MUCH less to do with it than the reasons I mentioned.

If by that statement, you are somehow implying that stihl saws are more reliable than the competition. Because that is not a factual statement.

/ Looking at a 441 Stihl #20  
I have been looking at these same two saws. I have decided on the 460 because of the adjustable chain oiler. I have a Stihl now that doesn't have this feature and I absolutely hate it because it makes the bar run hot because not enough oil is getting to the bar. I have already replaced the bar twice because of bluing and warping of bar. Also, if you plan on passing the saw on down in the family the 460 would be a good choice because saws with adjustable oilers will be a thing of the past after the EPA gets done with them. I hope this helps in your decision.:)