Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #31  
great price on the 460, the 550xp sounded like a steal also. last time I checked the 557xp (older similar model to the 550) was around $700 bucks up here, add the 15% sales tax and you are talking over $800.

a 24'' bar seems awfully big for a 60cc saw, I suggest you set the oiler at its max setting and rev it some with the nose down so it oils up the whole lenght. BTW an 18'' bar is no limbing bar to me lol

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question
ha-ha 18" bar has always been my ideal limbing bar. its shorter light and is will long enough to get a little reach.

I have a saw with a 12" bar but always favored the 18" for trim work. though for small trim work the 460 is too heavy and big.
But for cutting up small logs on the ground the 18" bar will be perfect.

Good advice on the oiler i'll crank her up. I doubt its a rocket with the 24" bar but the dealer guy said it handles it fine and its rated for that bar.
But thats also why i'll get a smaller 18" bar for crazy hard wood.

Sorry guys one more question in this thread. I'm looking on amazon.com for an 18" bar. and they have two different bars.
I know the workings of the saws but not the chain pitch info so forgive me.

I see two bar chain options.
Husqvarna 531300442 18-Inch FT280-68 Chain Saw Bar, 3/8-Inch by .050-Inch

Husqvarna 531300438 18-Inch HLN250-72 Pixel Chain Saw Bar, .325-Inch by .050-Inch

Which one would give me the fastest most aggressive chain tooth option. Sorry for the stupid question i'll admit with my past saws just kept them with the stock bar and replaced with the same oem chains.
So i have much to learn.

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #34  
What are your set up with on the 24". 325 or 3/8? full comp chain? I would get a loop of full skip (less cutters pulling down motor in cut) to help the 24" out if running 3/8.

For the 18" I would be running 3/8.

Honestly on the 24" not sure its the stock chain that came with it i'll need to look.
Is the 3/8 .325 marked on it somewhere? i'll look when i get home. like i said lots of learn still.

Thank you for your help. Thanks everyone. Ordered up the 18" bar 3/8 chain will be here Friday.

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #36  
Honestly on the 24" not sure its the stock chain that came with it i'll need to look.
Is the 3/8 .325 marked on it somewhere? i'll look when i get home. like i said lots of learn still.

Thank you for your help. Thanks everyone. Ordered up the 18" bar 3/8 chain will be here Friday.

Why I ask on the 24". If you have a 325 spur or rim sprocket you will need to change to 3/8 rim or spur to run the 18" 3/8.

I know the 455 I worked on came with 20" 3/8, so maybe your 24" is 3/8 and you wont need to change a thing.

Its a 3/8
24" bar reads
RSN A 24"/60cm .50/1.3mm
3/8" 84DL 92570 TY

So the 3/8th 18 I ordered will be perfect.
Thanks again for all your help. Learn a ton in a few days about saws.

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #38  
That's a nice looking saw! Should have all the power you need, and you can't complain about that price. Good luck with it!

I'm very happy with it. Its my first new saw. All my others where owned by my Dad or Grandpa.
My 2.5 year old Son also got a new saw as well. :)
20130130_221952.jpg

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #40  
I'm very happy with it. Its my first new saw. All my others where owned by my Dad or Grandpa.
My 2.5 year old Son also got a new saw as well. :)
View attachment 300722
I like your sons saw. That's starting them out right.
That 460 looks very familiar. I actually prefer 20 inch bars as when I let it hang from my hand it comes close to the ground which means less bending over when cutting up small wood. I'm 6 ft 3"tall so a 18" bar might suit you better if your more average size.
Take heed of the advice about not letting it set with old gas in it. Keep your left hand firmly on the grip at all times and never hold your head over the plane the saw would kick back through if something caught. You can look at it from the side just as well.