Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #11  
Well my Craftsman 18" 42cc POS has made me mad for the last time. it just doesn't have the snort anymore to sink the full chain into a log. I have tons of HUGE hardwood maple that need trimming some of the limbs are 24"

Craftsman will be a nice light limbing saw for the remainder of its life. it runs good just no power.

I was looking at the Husky 455 for 399.00 at fleet far and the Stihl Farm Boss MS290. and after tons of reading i've deicded on the Stihl. Little more power few little differences i liked also my JD dealer i got my 2520 and 3320 from sell them, They said if i buy 3 qt's of 2 stroke oil with the saw they will add a 2nd year warrranty which seems like a sweet deal.
So this isn't saw VS saw both are amazing saws. What my question is what are people paying for the Farm Boss? anyone seeing them come in at 400 flat like the husky?
Thanks guys
Chad
go up to the next chain size of a stihl MS 310 IT STAYS SHARP MUCH LONGER AND THE EXTRA HP.WILL ALLOW YOU TO CUT EVEN WHEN THE CHAIN HAS LOST IT'S EDGE.

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question
Thanks for the info guys maybe i better look a bit more.
My price limit was 500 bucks. dont know if i come close to those saws.

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #13  
Check out the dolmars while you are looking. Very nice running saws and a decent price and quality.

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #14  
When I bought a Stihl two years ago there was no price difference between dealers. If I remember right I got a couple of bottles of free oil and $10 off the case. You may want to look at the Stihl 261 pro its a light weight saw with good power.

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #15  
Sthil 088 - lightly used about $250 last fall
Sthil - 660 - lightly used, muff modded and ported - ~ $700 2 years ago
Stihl - 660 - used, rebuilt $550 3 year ago
Stihl - 021 - $??? bought new about 15 yrs ago

not to mention 3 brush cutters and a blower.

Stihl pro makes good stuff.

Last edited:
   / Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question
I think i might have found a dealer who i can get a Husky 550XP for right around 500 bucks. Worth the extra hundred to get the bottom pro line saw?

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #18  
Yes on pro line of any brand.

I have an 011, 021 and 360 Stilh. I never want to be without my 360 as long I can pull start it.

Chain, chain, chain size is a huge plus.

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #19  
Moving up from a Craftsman 18" most any major brand in there Pro line will be an improvement. I've been running chainsaws for more then forty years but never did it for a living so haven't tried them all nor can tell you which one is best. Several very good brands mentioned that I see around on job sites and owners seem to be satisfied. The Stilhs show up a lot as concrete pipe saws and stand up to the abuse of concrete dust and half trained laborers. My own saw at present is a 455 Husqvarna Rancher with a 20" bar and 3/8 chain. It works well for me on the fifteen to twenty five cord a year I cut. Keep the chain out of the dirt and keep fresh gas in it and whatever brand you buy should serve you well for a long time.
watch out for those widahmakers.

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #20  
Just throwing this out there too. My local husky dealer had the 555 autotune 59cc mag cases down to $529

Also buying used is best bang for the buck if you know what you are doing. I always figure 50% of price new and go up or down with condition and b+c chosen.

I just cleaned this NE 346xp 50cc up and set it on the shelf. I set it back for myself, but there are so many in front of it right now. Could be had way under your 455 and 290 cost.

Pics before clean up.

new346cracked450v007.jpg

new346cracked450v008.jpg

new346cracked450v006.jpg

new346cracked450v009.jpg