Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw?

/ Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw? #21  
I have a Wild Thing, purchased refurbished from bidtopia about 3 or 4 years ago. Occasional use, but it's never failed to start yet. After cutting for a few minutes, mine stalls but starts right back up. One thing you will notice, as said earlier, is the chain has way fewer cutters on it, and is very much less "stout" than other saws I've seen. That said, I'm still on my original chain, a bit of stretch but I guess that's to be expected. As far as I know, the aftermarket does not offer a chain for this one, due to it's different size and pitch.

If I had the money, I'd get a nice Stihl or Husky, but for a low $$ saw it just ain't bad.

Jim

/ Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw? #22  
I have a Stihl 290, a Craftsman, and an Echo Arborist Saw. We heat 100% with wood, and I use all three saws. I had to get the Echo because I have trouble holding the Stihl for long periods after having my shoulders/arms reconstructed in the military. I also have an 30 year old Homelite saw, and it has other issues, however it was built like a tank. Homelite makes a good homeowner saw as well.

The Poulan line makes saws for Poulan/Weedeater, AYP, McCulloch, RedMax, AYP, Craftsman, and the box store Husqvarna saws. The brands are all owned by the parent company Electrolux, and they run the Poulan plant in AR. This is from their global website: "The portfolio includes a number of strong brands with Husqvarna, Gardena (Canada) and McCulloch as core premium brands and other brands include PoulanPro, WeedEater, Dixon and Bluebird. The retail chain Sears is one of Husqvarnaç—´ largest customers, selling forestry, park and garden products under the Craftsman brand."

I like all three saws. My Stihl is a workhorse, and is my main cutting saw, however it was expensive. My Echo starts on the first pull every time, and is light, but the plastic, and the saw seams to not have the quality like my Stihl. My Craftsman is my oldest saw, and was my first saw, and it runs great to this day, however it gives you more of a workout. It was built about 10 years ago, and does not have the shock absorbing gaskets/springs like some of the newer Poulan saws. I would definitely say for the price, the Wildthing is a great deal, especially if you plan on using it around your house.

Tractor Supply just anounced that they are going to be carry the Jonsered Brand of chain saws exclusively starting on April 29th. That is probably why they are selling their stock of Poulan Saws so quickly..http://www.tractorsupply.com/conten...20130424-_-CNTR_B1-_-Brand_Awareness_Jonsered

They are also a Swedish company, and they make saws that are on par with Stihl, and Husqvarna, however they carry the same price tag.

The main issue that a lot of people have with their chainsaws regardless of the brand is having fresh gas, with the proper good quality oil mix, and a good ethanol treatment like StarTron. I have had my Stihl, and Husqvarna that I owned and my craftsman all act like they had terrible stalling, and idling issues with bad gas. You really need fresh gas higher octane gas, with the correct mixtures. The other issue is proper chain adjustment. New chains stretch, and require a break in period where they have to be readjusted. If you don't readjust them, they can jump from the bar, injure you, or your saw, and wreck your bar and chain. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rMVaK6Z25cI also make sure to change my air filters, clean or change my spark plugs, and the fuel filters in each saw each year. These are maintenance steps, that will cost about $10 per saw per year, and will keep them running great.

Keeping your chain sharpened at the correct angle is huge, and will totally effect how the saw cuts, or does not cut. Any saw with a properly sharpened chain at the right angles will cut like butter, just a different speeds depending on the torque of the saw. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PTXj1VIlbc I also make sure to run the gas out of them each winter so they do not become effected by the ethanol sitting in the carburetors.

And last, if you own a saw, you need chainsaw chaps, gloves, and helmet, with eye, and hearing protection. I work in an Emergency Room now, and I see horrible accidents from chainsaws that happen from people not using these items.

Hope this helps a bit!

Last edited:
   / Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw? #23  
I had one for 6 years. It had a mind of its' own, when it came to starting, but when you found that certain way, it was no problem. After the carburetor and fuel system went bad, I gave it to a Friend for parts. Rest assured, that I got my Money's worth out of it.

/ Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw? #24  
You get what you pay for. I don't like to have problems added to the job at hand. So I personally wouldn't want one. Tools should fix things not need to be fixed.

i think many tools problems are caused by the hands weilding them.

I'm running an economy murray rider mower that just turned 16ys old and still mows. original deck too.

it's deck is showing age.. but it starts on the first crank.

again.. hands that care for the tools makes ALOT of difference in a tools lifespan. even if it is an economy tool.

i used to work with a guy that could break a 200# anvill with a crumpled up newspaper...

just saying.

/ Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw? #25  
i think many tools problems are caused by the hands weilding them.

I'm running an economy murray rider mower that just turned 16ys old and still mows. original deck too.

it's deck is showing age.. but it starts on the first crank.

again.. hands that care for the tools makes ALOT of difference in a tools lifespan. even if it is an economy tool.

i used to work with a guy that could break a 200# anvill with a crumpled up newspaper...

just saying.

Very true. I have friends that think saws cut better when swung like an axe!

My 2 old stihls still run like a top because I don't let anyone use them. The 020 is a mid 70's and the 041 is a early 80's. we will see how the 1 year old farm boss holds up. Only reason I have it is the rope broke on the 020 and a fuel line rotted on the 041 at about the same time. I had a large tree down and was pissed. Both are up and running now.

/ Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw? #26  
yep.

it's common for tools to need maintenance for wear items and high use parts.

but good hands will make a tool go farther.

no doubt that a higher quality tool at the start helps.

still. I've hired a construction worker that darned near ruined a brand new front end loader in 1 day.

takes all kinds. :)

/ Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw?
THANK YOU, everyone, for your feedback and advice. I have decided to get the Craftsman #07134190 instead, it's $48 more than the Wild Thing but has anti-vibe handles and a better chain. Appreciate the responses given by all.

/ Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw? #28  
You will really appreciate the AV after running them any amount of time :thumbsup:. Now your hands and fingers wont be numb and tingling when the saw is shut off.