Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw?

/ Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw? #11  
Have owned one for years. 2 bars 5 chains. Other than that the only thing that broke was the brake cover bought one on line for little and put in on. BIL dug up a stump with mine (bar #2). Only thing I wish was different would be less guild teeth on the factory chains (2 guild links for every cutting link). I have since filed the guild teeth of one of my chains and the thing just eats trees alive. That chain does not get loaned out with the saw!

/ Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw? #12  
I think the new wild things are strato design 40cc or the non AV version of 4018. Most problems I have see with the saws are by owners not knowing how to tune or do simple maintenance. Just keep a eye on fuel lines for cracking.

I bought a Wild Thing from Tractor Supply at one of those 99.00 sales. One reason I bought it is that my brother has used one for years. I was unaware there were different designs. Mine tended to choke down the first time I used it, the second time it seemed to run better. I've only used it twice.

/ Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw? #13  
My first saw was a Craftsman (Poulan) 2.0 CI-14" and it paid for itself several times over in the 30 yrs I've had it, cutting way bigger stuff than was meant to, btw. What a performer it has been. My 18" wild thing was a gift after its PO broke a tiny part and didn't know where to find another (made a HD one on the mill). For a near-'disposable' priced model it has run like a race-horse for 5 yrs or so. Ergonomics suit me well, and arthritic old hands handle it with ease.

btw: Sharpen often. Grind those 'rakers' down .060" below tooth height vs the typical .030" -.045" and let the tool do the work. If you're spinnin' WFO in the cut you're not really 'cutting'. (Make chips, not sawdust!)

Anyway, IMO anyone who couldn't appreciate what those 'Wild Things' will do for the bucks might just need another level of saw entirely, either twice the price or down to an electric. :D

/ Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw? #14  
I would spend a little more on something with anti-vibration handles. I hate the tingly hands feeling.There's a Craftsman 18" on sale for $150 right now. This one is $160 regular price at Home Depot. Poulan PRO PP4218A 18 in. 42 cc Gas Chainsaw. Sometimes you can find a reconditioned better model for around $99 if that's your budget.

/ Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw?
I would spend a little more on something with anti-vibration handles. I hate the tingly hands feeling.There's a Craftsman 18" on sale for $150 right now. This one is $160 regular price at Home Depot. Poulan PRO PP4218A 18 in. 42 cc Gas Chainsaw. Sometimes you can find a reconditioned better model for around $99 if that's your budget.

Thanks for your input, the Craftsman you refer to is priced at $147.99 locally...thought about that one. The real reason I started the thread is because I am going to be helping my brother take down a number of good size trees soon and want to have a backup 40+cc saw. Wonder if the anti-vibe handles on my oldest saw would fit the WT? The first saw was a 14 inch 2.3 ci Craftsman and I was amazed at how well it performed, and it cost me more than the 42cc-18" model on sale now.

/ Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw? #16  
I'd either burn the $100 bill, use it as a napkin during lunch, or put it towards a good saw. You definitely get what you pay for with chainsaws, more so than most other outdoor power equipment.

/ Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw? #17  
I only have experience with 2. I owned neither. One leaked bar oil from day one. The other threw chains when it did run. So obviously I have a bad impression. Sounds like that's not the rule after reading this thread.

I am an avid stihl user, but I started on a counter vibe 3400 poulan. Tough saw.

/ Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw? #18  
I'd either burn the $100 bill, use it as a napkin during lunch, or put it towards a good saw. You definitely get what you pay for with chainsaws, more so than most other outdoor power equipment.

My thoughts too :)

/ Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw? #19  
I only have experience with 2. I owned neither. One leaked bar oil from day one. The other threw chains when it did run. So obviously I have a bad impression. Sounds like that's not the rule after reading this thread.

I am an avid stihl user, but I started on a counter vibe 3400 poulan. Tough saw.

You aren't the only 1 with a bad experence. I posted I used up 2 of them once in short order. I'm sure there is a market for them, because they still make them. For limbing and cutting small stuff they should be ok. But, for heavy duty use/cutting. No way

/ Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw? #20  
You get what you pay for. I don't like to have problems added to the job at hand. So I personally wouldn't want one. Tools should fix things not need to be fixed.