BEST CHAIN FOR CUTTING RR TIES??

/ BEST CHAIN FOR CUTTING RR TIES?? #21  
Those must have been some gnarly RR ties LD1. I didn't have the blade gum up on me to the point they wouldn't cut.

So if they did ask me what I was cutting, and I told them "wood", "most likely just pine", I would not be lying right??

Not sure if the sawzall is the answer. I tried cutting some electric poles cause I wanted a cleaner cut than a chainsaw with one. Even with an agressive blade, it just gums up and quits cutting. Chainsaw dont even notice.

/ BEST CHAIN FOR CUTTING RR TIES?? #22  
They were electric poles, but creosote treated like the ties. Perhaps it makes a difference but the ones I got were newer poles and werent all dried out and weather checked. Still VERY solid. The blade would gum up and not clean out:mur: But nothing beats about 3 seconds with a chainsaw. You wont find anything that will cut them faster short of TNT

/ BEST CHAIN FOR CUTTING RR TIES?? #23  
A sawzall with a long blade would do the same thing. Maybe not as staight. I don't think the Rental shops ask what you are cutting. Pay the insurance if you want on the saw that would cover a chain replacement if it comes back too dinged up to sharpen. I do save my old chains for that stuff if I am too far from a power source to use the sawzall.

Yes they do at least the one I worked at.

/ BEST CHAIN FOR CUTTING RR TIES?? #24  
So if they did ask me what I was cutting, and I told them "wood", "most likely just pine", I would not be lying right??

Not sure if the sawzall is the answer. I tried cutting some electric poles cause I wanted a cleaner cut than a chainsaw with one. Even with an agressive blade, it just gums up and quits cutting. Chainsaw dont even notice.

When you returned the saw with a burnt up chain you would pay a pretty penny for it.

/ BEST CHAIN FOR CUTTING RR TIES?? #25  
I don't see it "burning up" a chain. Dulling...yes. but don't the rental places expect to have to sharpen the chain anyway?? And just how much is a "pretty penny"?? A new chain is $15 give or take. An a $10/hr employee a few minutes to swap...which shouldn't even count cause I'd expect them to have a grinder to sharpen which requires disassembly anyway.

/ BEST CHAIN FOR CUTTING RR TIES?? #26  
I don't see it "burning up" a chain. Dulling...yes. but don't the rental places expect to have to sharpen the chain anyway?? And just how much is a "pretty penny"?? A new chain is $15 give or take. An a $10/hr employee a few minutes to swap...which shouldn't even count cause I'd expect them to have a grinder to sharpen which requires disassembly anyway.

I don't own the place I'm just telling you there policy.

/ BEST CHAIN FOR CUTTING RR TIES?? #27  
Another vote for the Sawzall. I did a project with RR ties a while back that required about 50 cuts. I bought 6 long blades figuring I'd be going through them--one blade lasted the whole project, and made very nice cuts (no clogging). Regards, Mike

/ BEST CHAIN FOR CUTTING RR TIES?? #28  
I think the best blade would be the one on someone elses saw:laughing:

/ BEST CHAIN FOR CUTTING RR TIES?? #29  
I think the best blade would be the one on someone elses saw:laughing:

Sure, when would you like your saw back? Just Joking.