BEST CHAIN FOR CUTTING RR TIES??

/ BEST CHAIN FOR CUTTING RR TIES?? #12  
Your Brother in laws chain..........

Good one. I have a POS Brother in Law I would like to borrow a chainsaw from for cutting ties if he were to have a chainsaw. Trouble is he doesn't have any tools and has a hard time changing the light bulb in his yard lamp post. Serious, he says he is not mechanically inclined. He seems to operate the TV remote control fine, but beyond that.....

/ BEST CHAIN FOR CUTTING RR TIES?? #14  
i agree with the POS chain, but if you are gonna be cutting a lot you can get a carbide tipped chain. on the flip side you have to have a special sharpener.

/ BEST CHAIN FOR CUTTING RR TIES?? #15  
Forget the chain saw use an 8 inch electric circular saw. Cut one side, roll the tie. continue until all four sides are cut. use a hand crosscut saw to finish the cut that the circular saw couldn't reach, sounds time consuming until you start changing and replacing chains.

/ BEST CHAIN FOR CUTTING RR TIES?? #16  
Forget the chain saw use an 8 inch electric circular saw. Cut one side, roll the tie. continue until all four sides are cut. use a hand crosscut saw to finish the cut that the circular saw couldn't reach, sounds time consuming until you start changing and replacing chains.

The rental center will not rent a chain saw for cutting RR ties but will rent you a 12 circular saw with carbide blade.

/ BEST CHAIN FOR CUTTING RR TIES?? #17  
The rental center will not rent a chain saw for cutting RR ties but will rent you a 12 circular saw with carbide blade.

How do they know what you will be cutting??

/ BEST CHAIN FOR CUTTING RR TIES?? #19  
A sawzall with a long blade would do the same thing. Maybe not as staight. I don't think the Rental shops ask what you are cutting. Pay the insurance if you want on the saw that would cover a chain replacement if it comes back too dinged up to sharpen. I do save my old chains for that stuff if I am too far from a power source to use the sawzall.

/ BEST CHAIN FOR CUTTING RR TIES?? #20  

So if they did ask me what I was cutting, and I told them "wood", "most likely just pine", I would not be lying right??

A sawzall with a long blade would do the same thing. Maybe not as staight. I don't think the Rental shops ask what you are cutting. Pay the insurance if you want on the saw that would cover a chain replacement if it comes back too dinged up to sharpen. I do save my old chains for that stuff if I am too far from a power source to use the sawzall.

Not sure if the sawzall is the answer. I tried cutting some electric poles cause I wanted a cleaner cut than a chainsaw with one. Even with an agressive blade, it just gums up and quits cutting. Chainsaw dont even notice.