Stihl MS250 is very hard to pull wont start!

/ Stihl MS250 is very hard to pull wont start! #1  

mastercraftka

Silver Member
Tractor
1993 JD 6400 4wd
I have had this MS 250 for just over a year, I used it last month with no issues took it out this weekend and I could barely pull the starter. I might get one rotation and moved but very difficult. The first thing I did was take the spark plug off and still the same issue. I then took the starter off and it rotates easily and I can spin the fly wheel easily as well no resistance. I then took the muffler off to see what I could see inside and saw nothing alarming. I can put the starter back on with spark plug and muffler off and still the same issue.

Anyone have any ideas?

Mike

Last edited:
   / Stihl MS250 is very hard to pull wont start! #2  
Re: Sthil MS250 is very hard to pull wont start!

Since you state you can spin the fly wheel easily and starter assembly easily when they are separate pieces I would look for some form of binding when they are bolted together. Did a small piece of wood work its way into a point where it causes binding when the starter assembly is bolted to the engine?

/ Stihl MS250 is very hard to pull wont start!

I took it off and blew the starter out and the flywheel area out and I don't see anything obvious. The first time I took it off and put back on I could pull it several times (easier but not normal) but with every pull it would get harder and harder then back to almost not being able to pull it again. With the starter off it pulls free and easy.

I just realized I misspelled STIHL sorry.

/ Stihl MS250 is very hard to pull wont start! #5  

Sounds like you have something binding in the starter assembly if it builds over time. Not familiar with your model Stihl but does it have the plastic starter rope pulley? If yes is it possible that the rewind spring is being pinched from crud build up between the pulley and spring? My limited experience it that sawdust gets every where and then starts to cause things to bind.

Hopefully one of the Stihl experts will chime in shortly.

I understand and appreciate your thoughts, I feel like it is the starter but not knowing what normal looks like it is hard to compare. I just know that it pulls and retracts easy when not on the machine.

/ Stihl MS250 is very hard to pull wont start! #7  

Sounds like you may have something caught up in the rewind spring assembly that prevents the spring from doing it's job. Try tapping it on a workbench and see if anything falls out. See if there are any missing screws or other small parts that could have jammed it up. You may have to disassemble the spring mechanism, carefully, or take it to a dealer to check it out if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself.

You can correct spelling of Stihl by going to edit at the bottom of your original thread.

I plan on inspecting further here in about one hour. Just baffling, if I can't figure it out tonight I am taking it to a shop tomorrow, just was hoping to save me a few $$$.

I looked and saw nothing out of the ordinary but I don't know what it is supposed to look like. I know there is one black clip that flairs out when you pull that pushes the flywheel, is there supposed to be two?

/ Stihl MS250 is very hard to pull wont start! #10  
I looked and saw nothing out of the ordinary but I don't know what it is supposed to look like. I know there is one black clip that flairs out when you pull that pushes the flywheel, is there supposed to be two?
That depends on the model. It's called a 'pawl' and I used to have problems with my 086 which has very few hours on it. The cord mechanism would do the opposite of yours, it would let the line out with no resistance, and it would make starting impossible. I took it apart and found there was a place for a second pawl and had my dealer install one and it has not been a problem since. There was something about making them fit the slot without being too tight or sloppy, which was sometimes a matter of sanding the pawl down on the sides. I chose to get a second pawl installed ? Try your local dealer for your particular problems solution.