Look what showed up today in the mail my saws will finally be happy

/ Look what showed up today in the mail my saws will finally be happy #1  

xring100

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M8540, ZD1211 60"
Well I finally broke down and ordered and Oregon Heavy-Duty Bench Grinder with Hydraulic Assist. For years I've retouched loops by hand several times and then eventually take them in for sharpening. The last two times I've taken loops into the local saw dealer they've messed up a total of 5 loops. At $6 for the 20" loops and $7 for 25" I've given the dealer $33 to take my dull loops and make them duller (they might have cut butter without smoking). They have a high school kid who was not properly trained screwing up chains. I keep my rakers cut down and in spec, I have had to sharpen these chains by hand to be even useable. You could tell they had been run on a grinder but they were not not sharpening the full chisels to a point the chain needed to be pushed further forward into the grinder.

Now i just need to make some room in the barn to mount this bad boy. I would have really loved a Silvey but used ones don't come up very often and the new price for an amateur like me is insane.
20140305_191104-vi.jpg

20140305_190733-vi.jpg

/ Look what showed up today in the mail my saws will finally be happy #2  
I just got a new Oregon 511AX, I had not noticed the hydraulic assist. Is that an accessory that fits all models or a separate model? I hear ya about the saw shops putting kids on the sharpening. I have not set mine up yet but am curious if you can keep us posted. I figure I will start on my worst chain

/ Look what showed up today in the mail my saws will finally be happy
This is a separate model that comes standard with it but it looks like the mounting basses are may be different as well as the arm. Tecomec makes oregon's sharpeners

Tecomec Sharpeners this page may load in Italian there is a setting in the upper right hand corner to switch to english
Jollystar similar to the 511ax not sure if its identical looking at the parts diagram they definetly share several of the same key parts but its hard to tell from the diagrams if this will actually work between the two they don't show the arm PN for the 511ax if the pictures on oregon's site are correct as well as the tecomec it looks like these two models have a different base but share most everything else
SuperJolly looks identical to the one i bought

I will post an update once it warms up some

/ Look what showed up today in the mail my saws will finally be happy #4  
Congrats. You will get better results doing it yourself than you will taking chains most places because you will take more pride in what you are doing. I have heard of places not even touching the rakers.

/ Look what showed up today in the mail my saws will finally be happy
Congrats. You will get better results doing it yourself than you will taking chains most places because you will take more pride in what you are doing. I have heard of places not even touching the rakers.

Thanks Roger,
I agree things usually turn out better when the work being done is conducted with pride and passion.
This dealer used to do well but even years ago I occasionally got a loop returned that was not very sharp

/ Look what showed up today in the mail my saws will finally be happy #6  
That is a nice machine. Good luck. I just like the convenience of sharpening at home vs. going to town. Doing a better job is also good.

MoKelly

/ Look what showed up today in the mail my saws will finally be happy #8  
makes the job so much easier and faster.

/ Look what showed up today in the mail my saws will finally be happy #9  
I've had one of these for years. The hydraulic feature is really neat, but I have had to replace the hose a couple of times. I also use a plated steel grinding wheel to cut the teeth. It doesn't ever have to be re-shaped. Also consider setting up an air stream to cool the teeth as you grind them.

/ Look what showed up today in the mail my saws will finally be happy #10  
Hey Dave!,
nice grinder for sure, i have a grinder i've been using for about 30 years now, dont have the heart to replace it.
By any chance is your grinder mulit directional? If it is, well, when i grind chains i spin the wheels direction in the direction of the high edge of the cutter. When you file a chain you file from the low side to the high side of the cutter pushing away from you each stroke, thats the way i run my grinder. Just a thought. I grind from 6 -30 chains a week. Ours go from 18" to 42" with Actually it relaxing for me. Yesterday i just cleaned the grinder and realized it was supose to be orange! . . .imagine that. :cool2:
My next purchase is a chain beaker and rivet spinner so we can make our own chains.
Enjoy your new grinder . . .John

Attachments

• chain grinder.jpg
    chain grinder.jpg
    788.8 KB · Views: 196