Look what showed up today in the mail my saws will finally be happy

/ Look what showed up today in the mail my saws will finally be happy
I was out looking in the barn tonight I think I'm going to build a bench in the bigger area of my barn away from the motorcycles, 4 wheelers etc. I'm going to have to add some lights and an outlet.

That is a nice machine. Good luck. I just like the convenience of sharpening at home vs. going to town. Doing a better job is also good.

MoKelly

Thanks agreed its a pain having to drop them off and wait. i have 3 - 20", 4 - 25" and 4 - 36" loops so its not usually a problem just really annoying when you find you paid for nothing.

LOL i'm hoping to retire that method i've been using one for years. I don't mind it much but 25" loops have a lot of teeth and seem to take forever. I run full skip on the 36" and they only have a few more teeth than a 20" but still take forever.

I've had one of these for years. The hydraulic feature is really neat, but I have had to replace the hose a couple of times. I also use a plated steel grinding wheel to cut the teeth. It doesn't ever have to be re-shaped. Also consider setting up an air stream to cool the teeth as you grind them.

they claim they improved the hydraulics on this model "Hydraulics enhanced compared to previous model." "Reliable and durable hydraulic system with protective guard" I guess time will tell .. If thats the only problem you've had with it i hope this one is at least as good

Do you use a wheel like these in the link below and how long do they last I would hope a very long time for the price. I'm guessing since its diamond a long tome
Chainsaw Sharpening Wheels | Super Abrasive CBN

As for the cooling air do you use compressed air do you have a picture of your set up you've got my curiosity up

Thanks

Hey Dave!,
nice grinder for sure, i have a grinder i've been using for about 30 years now, dont have the heart to replace it.
By any chance is your grinder mulit directional? If it is, well, when i grind chains i spin the wheels direction in the direction of the high edge of the cutter. When you file a chain you file from the low side to the high side of the cutter pushing away from you each stroke, thats the way i run my grinder. Just a thought. I grind from 6 -30 chains a week. Ours go from 18" to 42" with Actually it relaxing for me. Yesterday i just cleaned the grinder and realized it was supose to be orange! . . .imagine that. :cool2:
My next purchase is a chain beaker and rivet spinner so we can make our own chains.
Enjoy your new grinder . . .John

Hi John
unfortunately the only grinder i've found that is bi-directional that consistently gets good reviews is the Silvey but at $900 - 1000 it was out of my price range. Although i've looked for a used one for years. Sounds like you've more than got your moneys worth.

Like you said its relaxing i feel the same way about sharpening my pocket knifes.

/ Look what showed up today in the mail my saws will finally be happy #12  
Well I finally broke down and ordered and Oregon Heavy-Duty Bench Grinder with Hydraulic Assist. For years I've retouched loops by hand several times and then eventually take them in for sharpening. The last two times I've taken loops into the local saw dealer they've messed up a total of 5 loops. At $6 for the 20" loops and $7 for 25" I've given the dealer $33 to take my dull loops and make them duller (they might have cut butter without smoking). They have a high school kid who was not properly trained screwing up chains. I keep my rakers cut down and in spec, I have had to sharpen these chains by hand to be even useable. You could tell they had been run on a grinder but they were not not sharpening the full chisels to a point the chain needed to be pushed further forward into the grinder.

Now i just need to make some room in the barn to mount this bad boy. I would have really loved a Silvey but used ones don't come up very often and the new price for an amateur like me is insane.
20140305_191104-vi.jpg

20140305_190733-vi.jpg

These sharpeners are the real deal. I've owned mine for 10 yrs or more & used it many times over. Still on the same sharpening wheel.... My opinion,,,,,They are a great tool to have!!

/ Look what showed up today in the mail my saws will finally be happy #13  
i have an oregon saw grinder also....LOVE it. my chains are always sharp and ready to use. I run thru 5-6 at a time and keep them on a shelf. I only mount the unit on my welding bench when im ready to run some chains thru it. My shop is cluttered enough without leaving it out.

i have the manual one though. and its so fast sharpening i dont mind having to tightening it. Takes no effort at all

/ Look what showed up today in the mail my saws will finally be happy #14  
Do you use a wheel like these in the link below and how long do they last I would hope a very long time for the price. I'm guessing since its diamond a long tome

Thanks, I was looking for something similar. Curious if anyone uses these.

/ Look what showed up today in the mail my saws will finally be happy #15  
Well I finally broke down and ordered and Oregon Heavy-Duty Bench Grinder with Hydraulic Assist. For years I've retouched loops by hand several times and then eventually take them in for sharpening. The last two times I've taken loops into the local saw dealer they've messed up a total of 5 loops. At $6 for the 20" loops and $7 for 25" I've given the dealer $33 to take my dull loops and make them duller (they might have cut butter without smoking). They have a high school kid who was not properly trained screwing up chains. I keep my rakers cut down and in spec, I have had to sharpen these chains by hand to be even useable. You could tell they had been run on a grinder but they were not not sharpening the full chisels to a point the chain needed to be pushed further forward into the grinder.

Now i just need to make some room in the barn to mount this bad boy. I would have really loved a Silvey but used ones don't come up very often and the new price for an amateur like me is insane.
20140305_191104-vi.jpg

20140305_190733-vi.jpg

Wow! You get to run that thing on your house couch!?:shocked: How'd you ever get her to let you do that?:confused2:
Nice machine! Where'd you get it?

/ Look what showed up today in the mail my saws will finally be happy #16  
Yes, I got mine from the same place, I think. It was about 25 years ago. I used it commercially for at least 10 years, until I sold my small engine business and have used it for my own and friends chains ever since. Lasts forever. That's the reason I have the cooling air stream. Keeps the teeth cooler when you are cutting and also protects the CBN abrasive from getting hot and makes it last longer (I think). I'll try to get you a picture this weekend when I am in the shop. It's a really simple set-up.

The one negative to the steel wheel is that the spring on the grinder is not really tight enough to bring the grinder to the fully up position, when you let it go. The best part is that you don't have to hesitate about hitting the tooth with the grinder for the full time it takes to sharpen, as opposed to the vitreous wheels which you have to use very tentatively to avoid overheating (burning) the teeth as you sharpen them.

/ Look what showed up today in the mail my saws will finally be happy #17  
I bought the same grinder about 18 months ago with hydraulic assist. The standard purple grinding wheel seems to last forever. It's a very nice machine. I think that you will be please with it. :)

/ Look what showed up today in the mail my saws will finally be happy
Well it was 46 in in michigan today so i spent the night out in the barn but not working on the grinder My second position valve came in as well as the Quick Hitch i ordered. I spent the last 3.5 hours trying to install that instead gave up i need to get a metric stubby wrench set to finish installing the cable this thing must have been designed and built by people with very small hands and tools.

Yes, I got mine from the same place, I think. It was about 25 years ago. I used it commercially for at least 10 years, until I sold my small engine business and have used it for my own and friends chains ever since. Lasts forever. That's the reason I have the cooling air stream. Keeps the teeth cooler when you are cutting and also protects the CBN abrasive from getting hot and makes it last longer (I think). I'll try to get you a picture this weekend when I am in the shop. It's a really simple set-up.

The one negative to the steel wheel is that the spring on the grinder is not really tight enough to bring the grinder to the fully up position, when you let it go. The best part is that you don't have to hesitate about hitting the tooth with the grinder for the full time it takes to sharpen, as opposed to the vitreous wheels which you have to use very tentatively to avoid overheating (burning) the teeth as you sharpen them.

Thanks Eddie sounds like i could buy one and it would likely outlast me. I'd never thought about the thermal conductivity of the diamond and steel being much better than the abrasive wheel minimizing burning. I might have to order one of the benefits sound good.

Thanks, I was looking for something similar. Curious if anyone uses these.

No problem sounds like Eddie is pretty happy with his and it would probably be the last one i'd ever need

Wow! You get to run that thing on your house couch!?:shocked: How'd you ever get her to let you do that?:confused2:
Nice machine! Where'd you get it?

LOL thats a good one I think if i tried that and my wife caught me I'd make the local news "Man Shoot by wife after caught using and chainsaw sharpener in the living room" :laughing: I bought it from Oregon Bench Chain Grinder - 551462 for $369 shipped ordered it sunday and got it Wednesday they are a google trusted store

/ Look what showed up today in the mail my saws will finally be happy #19  
I have the 511 Oregon grinder without the hydraulic clamp system. I have had it for 10 years or so and I figure it's paid for itself by now. It is fun to experiment with the angles to find what works best for you.