chainsaw quits running

/ chainsaw quits running #1  

budepps3760

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2810
We had a bad storm come through and a neighbor's tree came crashing down in my backyard. It's a deserted lot and no one to file a claim on since my insurance man said it was considered an act of God. Trunk is about 24-28 inches in diameter. Got out my Poulan Pro 240 and started cutting however after running maybe 10 minutes it just slows down till it stops. After maybe 15 minutes it will crank and do the same thing after maybe 10 minutes and then whole cycle repeats itself. Any ideas as to cause?

/ chainsaw quits running #2  
How long has it been sitting with gas in it? Run some sea foam thru it.

/ chainsaw quits running #3  
Mix up some 93 octane gas and oil. Then add some carb cleaner. See if that helps. Also changing the spark plug and air filter may help.

/ chainsaw quits running #4  
When it starts to give fits, try cracking the gas cap. It could have the vent hole plugged.

IF that dont do it, check the condition of the fuel line inside the tank. Ethanol can turn them to mush and cause it to collapse pretty easy and starve the saw for fuel

/ chainsaw quits running #5  
We had a bad storm come through and a neighbor's tree came crashing down in my backyard. It's a deserted lot and no one to file a claim on since my insurance man said it was considered an act of God. Trunk is about 24-28 inches in diameter. Got out my Poulan Pro 240 and started cutting however after running maybe 10 minutes it just slows down till it stops. After maybe 15 minutes it will crank and do the same thing after maybe 10 minutes and then whole cycle repeats itself. Any ideas as to cause?

Knowing that saw, I'd suspect it's overheating and about to seize up. Either that, or the bar/chain may be messed up and binding with heat. I had a neighbor with one of those saws, and it behaved the same way. Could not cut more than about 10 minutes before it would need to cool down. It's just not a real good saw.

/ chainsaw quits running #6  
If the bar gets extremely hot check for correct chain/bar gauge.

/ chainsaw quits running #7  
Pull the muffler off and take a look at the piston. If it's scored then you'll either need to repair it or replace the saw. I suspect it'll be cheaper to replace it if the cylinder is damaged.

/ chainsaw quits running #8  
Hard to help if the basic questions aren't answered...

/ chainsaw quits running #9  
... Got out my Poulan Pro 240 and started cutting....

Well there's your problem.... a Poulan Pro 240 is listed as a snowblower! :D

Check that your muffler hasn't come loose. My Poulan saw did a similar thing last spring. Hope its that easy.

/ chainsaw quits running #10  
If it was a gas problem, I suspect it wouldn't run , cool off and start again. Bearing or something is getting hot is my guess. Does it pull over the same when hot? Does chain move ok?