chainsaw quits running

/ chainsaw quits running #21  
Heck, just be happy you can get them to fire and run for a little bit. If they have a filter/clunk in the tank it may be best to just replace all the fuel line and clunk on the machine. The bulb may have a pin hole or hairline crack and its a good time to change it out too. Unless you've done it recently even thought it runs a little bit why not install a new properly gapped plug. Take the bar off and clean the bar inspect the track groove closely. Lube the sproket in the tip if it has one. Clean, lube and sharpen the chain. Clean all the nooks and crannies on the powerhead and be certain the chain oiling port is clean and clear. Install new air filter.

As pointed out above; make sure gas cap is clear.

Now try and run a tank thru it without cutting anything. Run it completely dry and watch for oil spray coming off chain. Once it dies let it cool down and then fuel it back up and add chain oil as it should be almost empty too.

I don't do this every year because I don't use my saw all that often. But if it still runs and is cranky I do the above to be sure I've done all I can before I take it to a mechanic for service. Sometimes its a combination of small things working against you in concert that bring it down. Instead of guessing and wasting a bunch of time I've done this and have more than once had a saw suddenly just "clean up".

/ chainsaw quits running #22  
Look at the exhaust ports. They sometimes plug up.

This turned out to be my problem. I was cutting cherry that had a dead center and the powder was clogging my exhaust port. A little cleaning and I was good to go. Thanks.

/ chainsaw quits running #23  
This turned out to be my problem. I was cutting cherry that had a dead center and the powder was clogging my exhaust port. A little cleaning and I was good to go. Thanks.

Your welcome.

Many others have mention plugged exhaust ports over the years.

/ chainsaw quits running #24  
Knowing that saw, I'd suspect it's overheating and about to seize up. Either that, or the bar/chain may be messed up and binding with heat. I had a neighbor with one of those saws, and it behaved the same way. Could not cut more than about 10 minutes before it would need to cool down. It's just not a real good saw.

Have to agree with s219. I burned out/seized up like 3 of those small saws until I wised up and got a commercial logging one. No more problems, and the added bonus is I don't have to lift weights at Planet Fitness with that arm anymore.

/ chainsaw quits running #25  
Well I tried all these things and it still cuts out and won't rev. Thinking it's fuel starvation. The carb was rebuilt once. Was thinking of buying a new carb on e-bay. It's an 025 Stihl that's about 20 years old. I just got a new Farm Boss but I like having a small light weight saw for limbing and medium logs.

/ chainsaw quits running #26  
My son once dumped a box of jello powder into my saw fuel tank. That was interesting.

/ chainsaw quits running #28  
Yep, pls. tell us your son was under six at the time. :laughing:

/ chainsaw quits running #29  
He did survive

He was three at the time. Had to take the saw apart to get a proper clean up. It was just after he used a hand saw to practice on freshly installed drywall.

Now, he has his own similar problems.

/ chainsaw quits running #30  
He did survive

He was three at the time. Had to take the saw apart to get a proper clean up. It was just after he used a hand saw to practice on freshly installed drywall.

Now, he has his own similar problems.

What goes around comes around I guess. :laughing: I remember when I was about 3, I was bugging my dad constantly while he was trying to add on a dormitory to the back of our house (5 kids in one bedroom, so he added 4 bedrooms and a bath). To keep me busy, he gave me one of those little hand-crank drills, a small bit, and a block of wood to play with. Well, I got pretty good, I guess, because I graduated from that block of scrap to the redwood trim around the door frames.... put a hole in each one of them. :confused3: