Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017)

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017)
A straight-shaft brush cutter with a 7 1/4 carbide skilsaw blade will cut everything from grass to 2” and it (can) leave no stump, without bending over. There is no faster way to clear brush other than hydraulics.

I have the 36v Makita “string trimmer” with a carbide blade & use it a lot. And an echo commercial gas unit. Same comparisons to the chainsaws. Smaller jobs are much easier and more pleasant with electric. You know when you need the gas unit but it does sit un-used a lot. I don’t even remember where my loppers are.... why bend over or climb a ladder? The extended reach is a big timesaver, and the cut is instant (TING!).

I got the trimmer too in a kit with 2batteries & chgr & free grinder. I like having a 3 grinders. I’ve got 12 batteries now. And a vacuum, 36v skilsaw, 18v metal-cutting skilsaw, orbital sander, die grinder, multitool, and eyes on a few others.

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #72  
My biggest problem with cordless tools is that when one part breaks the cost forces you to decide if it's worth fixing. For example if the trigger dies it'll cost you about $70. If you know the batteries are getting near the end of their life then it's usually cheaper to just buy a new one. If the battery can be used on multiple tools then it changes the decision since you probably have several spare batteries and now it comes down to would you rather buy a replacement so you get more batteries. With corded and gas powered tools they usually last a very long time so you just need the one part. Or you've done enough damage (say forgot to mix oil into the fuel on your chainsaw) and it's going to cost too much to repair. I would be much more willing to buy a 40v cordless chainsaw that used 2 20v battery packs that could also be used in a drill (or another tool).

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #73  
Update... with Christmas Tree season in full swing the early reports have the Stihl Battery 200 Chainsaw (Big One) as a winner...

At the Fresh Cut station... 155 trees passed through yesterday... never needed to charge the saw and has the charge from earlier in the week.

I realize short cuts through 99% 6" dia or less is not a hard test but it is so much nicer not have to pull the rope start hundreds of times each day... plus the noise factor has been eliminated... previous years neighbors had complained of hearing the gas saws after dark... the guys don't need hearing protection to be compliant.

The saw is not light but feels and looks like any other saw...

The chain is narrow and so far has not lost it's sharpness...

Only about a week of use so time will tell... the three gas Stihls never left the shed except to make a few cuts up the mountain.

MSA 2 C-BQ | Lithium-Ion Powered Chainsaw | STIHL USA

Battery Operated Chainsaws | STIHL USA

Last edited:
   / Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #74  
A straight-shaft brush cutter with a 7 1/4 carbide skilsaw blade will cut everything from grass to 2” and it (can) leave no stump, without bending over. There is no faster way to clear brush other than hydraulics.

I have the 36v Makita “string trimmer” with a carbide blade & use it a lot. And an echo commercial gas unit. Same comparisons to the chainsaws. Smaller jobs are much easier and more pleasant with electric. You know when you need the gas unit but it does sit un-used a lot. I don’t even remember where my loppers are.... why bend over or climb a ladder? The extended reach is a big timesaver, and the cut is instant (TING!).

I got the trimmer too in a kit with 2batteries & chgr & free grinder. I like having a 3 grinders. I’ve got 12 batteries now. And a vacuum, 36v skilsaw, 18v metal-cutting skilsaw, orbital sander, die grinder, multitool, and eyes on a few others.

I like battery stuff too.
Have a new 40V Black & Decker hedge trimmer, and I do not generally like B&D stuff, but it works great.
I plan to buy a 16 inch "GreenWorks" 40V battery chain saw in the Spring.
My brush saw though, is a new gas powered Honda HHT35SUKA four stroke, with 10" blade.
I will NEVER give that up!
It is an amazing piece of machinery!

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #75  
Did a job a few weeks ago. Customer had an EGO chainsaw, grey in color, set on top of a pile of branches, also grey in color. Heard a crunch as I was backing our of a corner. I thought, gee thats a funny sounding branch.

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #76  
Did a job a few weeks ago. Customer had an EGO chainsaw, grey in color, set on top of a pile of branches, also grey in color. Heard a crunch as I was backing our of a corner. I thought, gee thats a funny sounding branch.

Well, there's two or three hundred bucks out of your profit....

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #77  
I also have the makita 36v leaf blower amazing tool use it for everything. Based on that thinking about the chainsaw. Good to know about the two models.

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #78  
My biggest reservation with battery tools is will I use it enough to justify the cost of battery replacement and to a lesser degree will it work well enough should I need to spend a day out in the field.

At least with some manufacturers the interchangeability of power units helps a lot... two batteries and a charger fit lots of equipment.

When I bought my first Makita 33 years ago the only way it worked for me was to have a 12v charger mounted in my truck... this way a fresh battery was never farther than my truck... still have that drill/flashlight combo by the way.

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #79  
My biggest reservation with battery tools is will I use it enough to justify the cost of battery replacement and to a lesser degree will it work well enough should I need to spend a day out in the field.

At least with some manufacturers the interchangeability of power units helps a lot... two batteries and a charger fit lots of equipment.

Good points!
Fortunately, EGO batteries fit all of their products...very handy.

My personal opinion is battery powered units are best used around the property...trimming, dropping smaller trees and branches . I don't think they're really designed for heavy duty field work

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #80  
Well, there's two or three hundred bucks out of your profit....
200 for a new one, only the casing was cracked, still works if you hold everything together. Called EGO, and they said take it back to Home Depot for service/repairs. Neither one of us has gone to the city as of yet, so it sits on the workbench until someone makes the 65 mile trip each way.