Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017)

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #271  
Gas Powered Saws...

Don't know what it is but I donated one very large Craftsman Saw a few weeks ago... it had only been used once and was left to me... It was very hard to start and leaked oil all over the case... knew I would never use it.

Since then 3 more have taken it's place... a very old like new Homelite with Case/Tools circa1950's along with a made in Japan Craftsman and old well used Stihl...

Stihl owner was in his 90's and said he ain't cutting no more and the others said it was too much trouble and one now has a small battery saw.

I do think the sale of gas saws for around the homestead will continue to be on the way out... plus the wood burning bans.

I use my battery Stihl all the time... as in several times a month... far more than I ever used my gas saws...

The battery is pop-in a battery and check bar oil and go... the gas saws are make sure I have fresh fuel mixed, start it and run before going out... decide to leave fuel in or empty to store... etc...

Have to say I was skeptical going in but between the AP Battery saw, poll saw, blower, pole trimmer it is something I use several times a week...

Considered Stihl mower that use the same battery but my Honda commercial and residential mowers are one pull start and used enough for fuel not to be an issue...

Anyone else finding gas saws on their doorstep?

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #272  
Used saws in decent shape around here go for close to new price and very few come on the market.
Been looking for something bigger since we have so many huge Ash trees dying around here.

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #273  
I use my battery Stihl all the time... as in several times a month... far more than I ever used my gas saws...

The battery is pop-in a battery and check bar oil and go... the gas saws are make sure I have fresh fuel mixed, start it and run before going out... decide to leave fuel in or empty to store... etc...

Have to say I was skeptical going in but between the AP Battery saw, poll saw, blower, pole trimmer it is something I use several times a week...
Yep... I love my Stihl AP line up of string trimmer, blower, hedgers, and maybe my favorite, my chainsaw. So fast and easy to grab for a quick job but also can easily take down a decent sized tree, limb it, and buck it up. I did get a second battery so two tools can be used or ready for a swap out on big jobs.

I have to say I didn't mind the break the couple times before getting a second battery when I did need to recharge in the middle of job. :D

Last edited:
   / Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #274  
Two batteries have always been enough so far.

I can take the blower to work when the fall leaves are falling and clear the main hospital entrance quietly and one charge will do the job 4 days... maybe 5 if not so meticulous.

Every day I'm out people stop and ask where can they get one...

When I give them the price that ends it...

When I use the trimmer it is on heavy grass and thistles and brush for 4 to 6 hours non-stop just before fire season... the Echo has served me well so far...

I do think Stihl could market a few accessories for the AP line... maybe a USB charger or lantern???

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #276  
I was watching yt channel Fall Line Ridge and a never heard of them company (Achiforce) sent him a saw to try out. He ran it through its paces and I was pretty impressed with the run time. So I used his coupon code and ordered one. AchiForce 4 V 14" Cordless Brushless Chainsaw It arrived via an amazon box even though I ordered it direct from them. Is there anything amazon doesn't have their hands involved with? I ran it a few minutes and seems to do fine. My main use is extended camping trips but thought you know this is handy when I just need to make one cut and don't want to drag out the gas saws. If it turns out to be a piece of chinesium junk I'll follow up.