Saw Chain care and sharpening tips?

/ Saw Chain care and sharpening tips? #1  

tomplum

Elite Member
Tractor
XJ2025H
I have an MS250 Stihl saw which seems to run up well, oil well but I'd like to expect more out of cutting performance. Bucking up firewood should be easier than it is. I've never been great at hand sharpening chain, basically grabbing new chains (Oregon 22lpx068g) until they try may patience and get replaced. So with the stack of chains on the shelf, sat an Oregon chain grinder in the box. Today was a good day to make its trial run. Followed the specs on the chain and the edges cleaned up nice. I had two that had more abuse that likely found some dirt that took a second run through. Other than this, these chains weren't badly worn and never saw a grinder. Would bringing the rakers down a bit be a good step? The pitch called for in manual was 25 degrees. Would a little more pitch help? Speaking pitch, aka sap. Some of these chains are quite dirty. Does cleaning them up in diesel make a better cut? Signed, not the sharpest guy on the block.

/ Saw Chain care and sharpening tips? #2  
If you want to take your chain sharpening to the next level, i recommend signing up at Arboristsite and or OPEforum. There's some great guys there that can really help you set up your grinder and get good results.

As to your question though, depending on how much material you removed from the cutter, yes, you should probably take the rakers down a little. There are gauges available to help figure out how much to remove. I like to use a dremel with a sanding wheel to take mine down. Your mileage may vary.

/ Saw Chain care and sharpening tips? #3  
I have the same saw. I ported the muffler and retuned it per YouTube and has made it a whole different animal.
I got the Timberline sharpener last year and have to say that this has made the chain sharpening a simple task. Great product!

/ Saw Chain care and sharpening tips? #4  
I was gonna suggest a muffler mod as well. That can really wake up a saw. Louder too, but sometimes that's okay. BUT, running a dull chain on any saw is a bad idea, and really accelerates wear. Making your saw's engine perform better (muffler mod), but not learning about proper chain sharpening will only further accelerate damage. But, yeah, figure out how to get your chains sharp, stop cutting with them before they're "dull" and then pursue a muffler mod. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

/ Saw Chain care and sharpening tips? #5  
Other than this, these chains weren't badly worn and never saw a grinder. Would bringing the rakers down a bit be a good step? .

The rakers do not need to be brought down on every sharpening. As mentioned there is a tool to set the depth based on the teeth edge. You change wheels, set up on one raker per the tool, remove the tool and do the rest.

/ Saw Chain care and sharpening tips? #6  
Days worth of reading on ArboristSite or Outdoor Power Equipment Forum / OPE.

Take note of progressive filing.

/ Saw Chain care and sharpening tips?
Will do. Thanks for tip on the muffler mod too. Good project for tomorrow.

/ Saw Chain care and sharpening tips? #8  
Granberg G106B. Simple cost effective tool for filing and keeping things sharp. I’m not a fan of any grinder, just my opinion. Once you get a hang of sharpening you will quickly note chip size and how a sharp chain pulls thru the wood quickly and effortlessly. I was a pretty poor hand filer for years, I’ve had my Granberg a few years. Now everyone I cut with or that checks out one of my saws comments how sharp my chains are. It’s not because I’m good, it’s lots of practice and using a great tool.

Rakers are entirely different discussion. Adjusting rakers too low can actually make things worse and put a lot of strain on a saw. There are a host of raker gauges as well.

/ Saw Chain care and sharpening tips? #9  
I have the same saw also. I bought the Stihl sharping kit for mine. It includes a round file with a guide, a file for the rakers, and a gauge. You just set the gauge on the chain and if the rakers stick up to far, it shows up. I've filed mine a little bit over the years. Most of the time I sharpen mine by hand but I also have a dremmel style tool for when it gets really dull.

/ Saw Chain care and sharpening tips? #10  
If you have been cutting with dull chains the chances are good that they overheated and ruined the tempering.