Saw Chain care and sharpening tips?

/ Saw Chain care and sharpening tips? #21  
Just remember the chain, bar and sprocket are a matched set.

/ Saw Chain care and sharpening tips? #22  
I would suggest as noted earlier to go to Outdoor Power Equipment forum, they have an entire forum on chain. They are friendly to newcomers as well.
When it comes to chain there are many types, gauges, cutter profiles etc. It is a ton of info. Honestly once you really get into sharpening you will quickly learn it’s an art. I sharpen my chains all the time, it is the most critical part of the saw. Heck a 90cc saw can get beat by a 40cc saw if the chain isn’t sharp. I carry a bunch spare sharpened loops (sections of chain) to the field when I cut. I swap them as I go then when I’m done cutting I bring them back to my chain vise at home and I spend a few minutes filing each one.
No sense having a great saw and a dull chain.

/ Saw Chain care and sharpening tips? #23  
Hey Guys,
Regarding chainsaw care and sharpening tips, what opinions do you guys have regarding changing the drive sprocket (on the saw) or a new bar when installing a new chain? I've been told it's recommended and then someone else will tell me it's not necessary..... What say you?

I luv my MS250 and it does 85% of my cutting - but the ol' Farm Boss 041 (with a 20" bar) is my brute saw!

BarnieTrk

Unless you are doing something wrong (cutting rocks or dirt) you don't need to change the bar and sprocket when you put on a new chain. My primary saw is abut 20 years old and has gone through probably a hundred chains with the same sprocket and 2 bars.

/ Saw Chain care and sharpening tips? #24  
I like filing and use a granberg.

Never liked taking the chain off and using a machine.

Can sharpen a chain almost as fast as taking one off.

And the machines IMO, shorten a chains life because they remove more material than is needed.

/ Saw Chain care and sharpening tips? #25  
We are hard on our chains because we are work in the dirt. Why that is, is another whole subject. So we bring many chains out with us, plus we lightly sharpen chains in the field via file with no file holder whatsoever. But hand filing can only be done so much, and the angles get to much off, or rake heights need to be reduced etc, etc. Properly sharpening your chain or any cutting tool for that matter, does take material off, weather its done by hand or machine.

/ Saw Chain care and sharpening tips? #26  
Properly sharpening your chain or any cutting tool for that matter, does take material off, weather its done by hand or machine.

But machine takes more material off.

Too much emphasis on making each cutter exactly the same, rather than just making each cutter sharp.

SOP for a machine sharpener and most shops is to find the WORST tooth. Setup to sharpen that one fully.....and take all the rest to that level. Which is removing alot of unnecessary material from other teeth.

I sharpen teeth on an individual basis. Each and every tooth gets sharpened. No more, no less.

/ Saw Chain care and sharpening tips? #27  
Thanks to everyone that provided comments.

I think I will order up a Grandberg devices. I like the thought of being a bit more precise than my current 'free hand' method of sharpening, yet I also agree that when I take chain in to be sharpened, they sure do take a LOT off of each tooth. I'm not convinced that each tooth needs to be the same length, but I can see where the tooth angle is important. I do have a gauge and flat fill the raker heights probably once every 8-10 tanks of fuel. Once I get one and try it out, I'll report back here with my opinion on using it.

I am familiar with the ArboristSite and like it, but I haven't looked at the OPE site, so I will have to see what they have to say.....

I try not to cut on dirty wood, try not to cut into the dirt and try not to hit any rocks or metal. I always slip on the bar cover when transporting the saw...in an attempt to protect the chain teeth and to protect stuff from being damaged by the teeth! However, just cutting on dead Ash will take the sharpness out of my chain. Dead Elm or Oak isn't nearly as hard on the chain teeth. Although I try to minimize the damage to other trees when I fall a 100ft, 20+" diameter, dead Ash, sometimes doing so will bring down another green tree, such as a young Cherry or Maple. When I start cutting up a live/green tree, WOW, the saw cuts it like hot butter!

Probably every 4-5 tanks of fuel I remove the chain and clean the bar groove by pushing/pullng a finish nail all the way around and ensuring the oiling hole is clear. The nail is just the correct diameter to also detect if the bar might be bent in anywhere. I'll also inspect the drive sprocket to ensure it is still in good shape. I did change out the drive sprocket once since I've owned the saw, because it was developing quite a groove in it and the chain was becoming caught in the groove. My 041 saw has a 'wheel' at the end of the (aftermarket) bar with a hole in the side of the bar to allow adding some grease. I have a small hand plunger-style grease gun to provide a pump or two to work into the wheel.

I used to buy cheap bar oil and cheap 2-cycle mix, because I thought it was all the same...but I now believe there is a quality difference and any extended life I can give my saws by using Stihl or Husky-brand bar oil or 2-cycle mix, I will pay the extra cost. Yes, I also didn't like the mess on my saw and in my saw case when I used cheap bar oil. Back in the day, cheaper 2-cycle mix would smoke, but the newer mix doesn't smoke...and the sparkplug seems to last longer....which is kinda nice too.

Happy Sawing, Fellas! :dance1:
- BarnieTrk

/ Saw Chain care and sharpening tips? #28  

Too much emphasis on making each cutter exactly the same, rather than just making each cutter sharp.

SOP for a machine sharpener and most shops is to find the WORST tooth. Setup to sharpen that one fully.....and take all the rest to that level. Which is removing alot of unnecessary material from other teeth.

I sharpen teeth on an individual basis. Each and every tooth gets sharpened. No more, no less.

^^^ Agree 100%. - BarnieTrk

/ Saw Chain care and sharpening tips? #29  

It is the other way around . The mechanical sharpener makes the cutters last the longest. The precision held angles allow for the very minimum of grinding to restore the edge .
I will challenge any hand sharpener to a machine sharpened chain for the best cutting and longest lasting chain.
As previously stated, the factory safety chains do not dig in a cut. An aftermarket pro chain is required.

/ Saw Chain care and sharpening tips? #30  
It is the other way around . The mechanical sharpener makes the cutters last the longest. The precision held angles allow for the very minimum of grinding to restore the edge .
I will challenge any hand sharpener to a machine sharpened chain for the best cutting and longest lasting chain.
As previously stated, the factory safety chains do not dig in a cut. An aftermarket pro chain is required.

You're on. Send a chain you sharpened on a grinder over here and I'll run it against one I filed. Got any 72dl 3/8 .050 loops?