Jinma 284

/ Jinma 284 #1  

Kernopelli

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi MTE2000D, Dig It 258 Mini Ex, Deere Z930A ZTR
I am going to look at a Jinma 284 tomorrow. Don't know many details about it, like if it's shuttle shift but I believe it is a 2005 model and they say it shows 175hrs on a working tach and is very clean. Comes with a JD mower (not sure if that means an RFM or bush hog or what size). Local car dealer has it for $2995.
I have no need for it right now but if it's as nice as it sounds, I don't know how I could pass it up. I haven't run it by the boss yet, but she is pretty flexible when it comes to me picking up a real bargain.

Can any one offer any advice on issues specific to this model that I should pay special attention to?

/ Jinma 284 #2  
I have only two pcs advice:
1) Price is highly competitive and might reflect this troubled economy
2) You reallly need to check this out for owner history and then from a functional point. Where did it come from, how was it prep'd, who owned it, talk to them, operate it or bring an experienced person to do same, negotiate.
3) Listen to others on this board.
4) Be careful but open minded.

/ Jinma 284 #3  
Look closely at ALL the fluids. What you do NOT want to see is:
1. green soupy hydraulic fluid (dipstick is under seat)
2. yellow soupy engine oil
3. black film floating on anti-freeze
4. brown soupy anti-freeze
5. yellow soupy gear oil in creeper or shuttle
6. yellow soupy gear oil in transmission/differential
7. yellow soupy gear oil in front differential

#2 and/or #3 indicate the head gasket was not retorqued as required at 50 hours. The rest are a strong indication that the original Chinese fluids were never flushed and replaced with clean/dry fluids.

Check for no more than 1" free play in the clutch pedal. Start engine, engage PTO. There should be no grinding. PTO should be fully engaged with clutch pedal 1/2 released. Second half of pedal travel should get tractor moving. If possible, look through clutch inspection window on bell housing. All 3 clutch fingers should be an equidistant 1/8" away from the throwout bearing face.

With the engine running, turn steering wheel and raise/lower three point hitch. There should be no hesitation in either, and both should work simultaneously without interfering with each other.

There's more - but these checks go a long way to confirm/deny proper assembly and maintenance in the critical first 50 hours of operation.

//greg//

/ Jinma 284
Thanks for the input. I went first thing this morning and the gentleman that had it has a small lot out in the sticks. Appeared to be pretty comfortable..... very nice property, vehicles, etc and I saw a brand new Kubota MX108 cab tractor and a JD of some type behind it in his pole barn and 4 nice Masseys of varying size under a lean-to behind his pole barn. He told me he liked to play with his "toys" and really only need 1, 50 hp tractor to take care of his place but the rest are "just because".
He said he just bought a local marina/campground for his son to run and it came with the Jinma and JD RFM. His son put about 100 hrs on the Jinma and told his dad he wanted a Kubota cab tractor to mow with so that's why they were selling the Jinma. He told me he would take $2800 cash for it and I could use his truck and trailer to take it home if I wanted to get it right then. I couldn't resist and started loading, while I was putting the tractor on the trailer, he comes around the back of the barn with a 4' bush hog hanging from the FEL on a Massey 271 and puts it on the back of the trailer with the Jinma and finish mower.....said it was too small for any of their tractors and wanted to know if it was OK that he threw it in on the deal. Gee, I guess so:D.
While I was there two other people pulled up with towing empty trailers asking about the Jinma and another guy called and I heard the owner explaining I was loading it as they spoke.
Anway, the tractor checks out pretty good so far, fluids are clean, hydraulics, clutch, pto OK and all the gauges but the fuel gauge work, so even if it turns out there are some various minor problems ( I'm sure there will be), I think I got an EXCELLENT deal. Still don't know what I'm going to do with it but at this price I can afford to figure that out later.

/ Jinma 284 #5  
:eek:I think that to better that deal requires a pair of panty hose and a gun:rolleyes:
Can I have that guys name so I can ask him to adopt me?
regards

/ Jinma 284 #6  
all the gauges but the fuel gauge work
Yup, sounds like ya done good. And the fuel gauge thing is a common Jinma malady, we've fixed lots of them in these forums.

//greg//

/ Jinma 284
Thanks men,
I may have my first issue with it though. I was trying out the bush hog I got with it on some waist high weeds behind the house and after about 20-25 minutes, it seemed like it was stating to lose power so I quit mowing and headed up to the yard, just as I got to the garage it died and wouldn't restart....would barely turn over. The Temp gauge was at "100", which is as high as it shows (which seems odd to me, unless it's in centigrade instead of F..) I let it cool for about a half hour and she fired right up. I did notice the oil gauge was showing about 20lbs at idle and 45-50lbs when I reved it up which concerns me. I don't put much faith in the cheap gauges to start with but do want to get an accurate oil pressure reading.

How much pressure should I have? and What suggestions might you guys offer on checking the pressure ( how to do it) and also on replacing the gauge.

/ Jinma 284 #9  
Everything's metric on that tractor, including the gauge indications. So that's definitely 100C, and definitely overheated - since it's supposed to have an 80C thermostat installed. Assuming you checked the coolant level before you started, my guess is that the radiator is blocked with weeds and chaff. Pay particular attention to the area behind the battery.

//greg//

/ Jinma 284 #10  
The only way to get a accurate oil pressure reading is with a mechanical gauge,you can get a oil gauge kit at the auto parts for around $ 20.00, remove the oil sender and install the fitting that comes with the gauge and a piece of the tubing,start the tractor and it will give you a reading.We have a gauge we use for testing,you can mount that gauge on the tractor and leave it.I don't know if you have a cluster gauge now or seperate gauges,If you have the cluster you can mount it in the cowling,if you have seperate gauges just replace the oil gauge with your new one.

I would also say that your radiator is plugged up,wash it out good with a hose then blow it out with a air compressor,you may have to do this a few times to get it clean.If the battery is sitting in front of the radiator,remove it so you can get the complete radiator washed clean.

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales
"Your Jinma Parts Superstore "
Home of compact Jinma, Foton, and Koyker Tractors and Parts, Wood Chippers, Backhoes - Affordable Tractor Sales Company