Jinma 284

/ Jinma 284 #21  
That is the battery box I have on my 2003 Jinma 254.

Chris

/ Jinma 284
The LE style battery box mounts low below the radiator, you may want to take a look at it,it will bolt on you will still have to make a few modifications depending on your hood,here is a pic. I'm currently out but have more due in about 2-3 weeks

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales
" Your Jinma parts Superstore"
Home of compact Jinma, Foton, and Koyker Tractors and Parts, Wood Chippers, Backhoes - Affordable Tractor Sales Company

Thanks for the pic. I think I could cut and weld in some pieces on my current weight bracket to resemble that...which is what I had in mind to start with. I like to fabricate and am often accused of being "frugal" so I will probably modify mine instead of buying a new one. I did throw you some business yesterday though. My tach had quit working and I did a search here on the site and got an idea of what I was dealing with. Upon investigation, I found that the censor had a wire that broke inside the resin that holds the magnet and wires. I talked to Jerry ( I think) and ordered a new one from you guys at what I felt was a very reasonable price.

I like this tractor but it was bought on a whim and can't justify keeping it. I am wanting to sell it and the mower and bush hog I got with it and make a little extra cash to do a power steering conversion on my Mitsubishi. At first after cleaning the radiator, I thought I had the temp issue solved but just hadn't used it enough to get the full picture and now realize it is still going to run hot if used for very long periods. The tractor came with a huge battery ( 950 CA's) and I am certain that is at least lending to my continued high engine temps when mowing because it literally covers the bottom half the radiator. I will probably try putting in a smaller battery first and see what kind of difference that makes before I break out the welder. I feel I need to do something before putting it up for sale. In good conscience I don't feel comfortable selling it the way it is.

I really appreciate everyone's help on this.

/ Jinma 284 #23  
After seeing what Tommy posted, no need for my pix. Just like that. I have a loader so no weights and bracket to deal with. Bolted right to the frame. Upgraded the battery to a 925 cca at the same time. Last winter she never started so easy.

/ Jinma 284 #24  
I have fixed several tractors with the battery mounted in front of the radiator from overheating,the key is you must remove the battery,wash out the raditaor several times also using a air blower,you will be surprised how much dirt will come out on the second and third cleaning also

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales

/ Jinma 284
Thanks Tommy, I'll give it another shot. This time with more attention to doing a little better job.

/ Jinma 284
Well, I have washed and washed and used compressed air to clean the radiator. I could see and tell it made a difference but am still having the problem. The antifreeze looked and tested good but I flushed and refilled it today with a 50/50 mix of distilled water and a good antifreeze and went out to mow. Ambient temp outside today was probably about 90 degrees and as long as I kept the tractor around 1500RPM and the mower out of heavy stuff I could keep the temp around 80C+. As soon as I ran at more RPM's or load on the tractor the temp started creeping up past 90C.

My mitsubishi does not have a thermostat but I am going to assume these tractors do. Is this correct and if so, where is it located ( guess I can go out and look tomorrow but since I'm on the subject now, might as well ask). I can't really imagine that is the problem...surly if it was stuck closed, the tractor would overheat much faster.

I was hopefull the serious washing I did was going to correct the problem but short of using the power washer, I don't think I could get it any cleaner/clearer. So...I am certainly open to other suggestions from anyone.

/ Jinma 284 #27  
... I could keep the temp around 80C+. As soon as I ran at more RPM's or load on the tractor the temp started creeping up past 90C.
Assuming the correct thermostat is installed, 80C is the normal operating temperature - under load. But when you actually apply a normal load, the temp rises. That suggests the thermostat is either not opening, or is of the wrong temperature range. You'll find it located under the engine side of the upper radiator hose.

Remove the thermostat, and determine if it's actually the right temp range. There should be an 80 printed on it somewhere, often either on the brass probe - or on the horizontal flange. That's the equivalent of 176F. Some may have a 70 (158F), that's ok too. But if someone put in an on-road or gasoline engine thermostat, it might have a much higher number - like the common 195F street thermostat. Throw it away. If it's got an 80, it's likely defective. You can test it in boiling water if you wish, but I'd simply replace it.

Once you're confident that you have a correct and properly functioning thermostat, there are a couple other tricks I've learned as a Jinma owner. But let's not cross that bridge till we get there.

By the way, did you actually remove your radiator for cleaning? I'm here to tellya that you cannot do a good job of cleaning a badly clogged radiator while it's still on the tractor. You've got to be able to see through it to be 100% confident that you got all the compacted and super-glued crap cleaned out from between the cooling fins.

//greg//

/ Jinma 284
When I say I could see a difference, that is what I was referring to. I didn't remove it but the area behind the battery was not clear ( couldn't see all the way through the radiator). After I finished cleaning, I again took a light to illuminate the back side since the fan made it difficult to see the center part of the radiator. I used degreaser and let it soak for a minute or two between between each cleaning and used 90 psi through a blow gun w/ 6" needle after each washing. I could see clearly though the back side of the entire radiator when done.
I will remove it today for more cleaning and check the thermostat too while I've got it out. Will check back on the site tonight to report the results.

Thanks Greg

/ Jinma 284 #29  
I'd make sure your thermostat is operating correctly first, but a thermostat controls how cool an engine runs not how hot it will get. There is a product called "water wetter" It reduces the surface tension of the coolant, it will help an engine run cooler. More water and less anti-freeze will help it run cooler too.

/ Jinma 284
I tested the thermostat and it popped right around 180F so it was OK. Took the radiator out for a thorough washing again and put it back in. Still ran hot. It was about 90 degrees outside again today and as long as I kept the revs about 1500/or not much of a continuous load it would stay around 80+C but more revs or load would take the temp up towards 100C pretty quick, same as before but worth trying.

I started the tractor then took the huge battery that was in it out and hooked up a small 12V battery from an ATV to operate the gauges and found I could mow very heavy stuff at near full throttle and not get over approximately 85C. So I decided to relocate the battery by modifying the front weight bracket, that way there will be no obstruction whatsoever in front of the radiator. I took the new battery out of my Mitsubishi and it was a perfect fit without having to widen the front bracket. Some 2" angle iron and a couple pieces of 1/8" sheet metal, a little cutting,welding and paint and voila, battery relocation completed. Turned out pretty good if I do say so myself. It has currently left me w/o front weights but I am going to take care of that part of the fabrication tomorrow. I feel the problem is solved and can now sell the tractor in good conscience. I really do hate to get rid of this machine but can't justify two tractors. I think I can pay for a new 16" trailer with the profit, and that's something I've needed desperately for a long time.

I sanded and repainted the bush hog and cleaned up the JD finish mower that both came with the tractor. I think I'm going to put it on ebay this week, just can't decide what kind of reserve to put on it..also considering a buy it now price. Any suggestions on that would be welcome as well.
I really appreciate everyone's input. Another TBN success story for the books!