Look what I got for $1700

/ Look what I got for $1700 #71  
Mine came from china with a higher pressure radiator cap...
What number is stamped on it? All four of my Chinese tractors came with a cap stamped either 0.3 or 0.4, which represents the pressure rating either in "bar" or in "atmospheres".
0.3 bar = 4.35 psi and 0.4 bar = 5.80 psi
0.3 atmospheres = 4.41 psi and 0.4 atmospheres = 5.88 psi
That's why some folks buy 4 psi aftermarket caps, and others buy 7 psi.

//greg//

Last edited:
   / Look what I got for $1700 #72  
Nothing wrong with a 7 psig cap on these engines.

/ Look what I got for $1700 #73  
Mine came from china with a higher pressure radiator cap...

Mine came with a 7psi cap also but when I had it tested it was a 4.5 psi cap.

I dont care what it says I bet its really a 4 psi cap like mine was.

Chris

/ Look what I got for $1700
If I am to believe the sticker, there is a 15psi one on it now.

Attachments

• 2011-10-07 16.05.30.jpg
    2011-10-07 16.05.30.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 120
   / Look what I got for $1700 #75  

Nothing wrong with a 15 psig cap either, but that's about as far as need be with these engines. If the cooling system got smaller (ie. core tubes or fan shroud removed, or engine oil cooler added) then you would need to up the pressure and/or capacity.

/ Look what I got for $1700 #76  
Given the PSI rating (as opposed to metric) and the apparent lack of Chinese markings (don't know what's under the yellow sticker), that's almost certainly an aftermarket cap. In my estimation, it should be replaced ASAP. We're only talking about a $4 part here.

We're talking about an engine that was designed around coolant temps between 70C and 80C. If you've got one of the old owner's manuals, you'll see commensurate winter instructions;
"if the tractor will stop for a long time after operation, the water in the cooling system should be drained out",
"...water of 60C-80C can be poured into radiator for easy starting
", etc.
Then consider that the (unpressurized) boiling point of plain water is 100C. A pressure cap merely raises the potential boiling point, and - assuming the correct thermostat and a clean cooling system - your engine should seldom even come close to the boiling point. So why raise it?

Over-pressurizing the cooling systems on these low end Chinese engines will eventually - if not immediately - result in coolant seepage. Let's face it, the design tolerances are really pretty loose - and this is especially true of the pre-EPA engines (2006 and earlier). If you don't change the cap, be prepared to see coolant oozing out around both the upper and lower tank seals, past hose clamps, past the water pump seal, around the temp probe, gaskets, et cetera.

//greg//

Last edited:
   / Look what I got for $1700 #78  
Do all Diesels need fuel injector pump oil changes? I've never heard of it before.

/ Look what I got for $1700 #79  
Do all Diesels need fuel injector pump oil changes? I've never heard of it before.
No. This is only found on small diesels. All others have the oiling system integrated with the engines main system. However, some of the larger diesels like EMD, Sulzer, etc. having Woodward governors will have an independent system.