I've got no brakes!

/ I've got no brakes! #1  

Matt_A

Tractor
Farm Pro 2wd 20hp
I\'ve got no brakes!

I have a Farm Pro 2420(2 cyclinder, 2wd) that is about three years old. Late last summer the brakes stopped working. You can push the pedal all the way to the floor. I finished out the rest of the year mowing without them but I'm ready to take my tractor back out to the other place and I need to fix this problem. I got up under the tractor and didn't see anything funny mechanically. Everything else seems to work ok except my three point lift seems to drop kind of slow. I've played with the adjustment under the seat but can't get it to drop hard like it used to.

I did change the fluids a couple of months before this happened. I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem. There are drain type plugs under each brakes drum. I unscrewed one and nothing came out and it had a pretty bad smell. Did I screw something up!

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ I've got no brakes! #2  
Re: I\'ve got no brakes!

Is there pedal presure? I does it feel the same as before?
Does this have drum breaks? Some times they can be oil soaked from the axel seal. A friend had this happen and he pulled the wheel/hub. Took a torch to the break pads to burn off the oil. Worked fine after. Sooner or later they will get oil soaked again and he will need to "do it agian' if you don't replace to seals.

/ I've got no brakes! #3  

There is no corellation with the brakes and the hydraulic system, unless you spilled some hyd oil on them! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

You are going to have to dis-assemble them to find out what is going on. There are two styles of brakes. Drum style, and disk style. The disk style is not like a traditional disk brake, more like a small version of a clutch plate. To gain access, I believe you will have to remove the rear wheel and floor board.

Disk Style: http://www.johnstractor.com/files/JMbrake.jpg

/ I've got no brakes! #4  

THe 2420 has drum brakes, the drum is in the round housing on each side of the tractor in front of the rear axle.
These brakes work on the shaft with the gears that drive the bull gear final drive, there is a seal but this shaft is pretty high (above the oil level in the housing) so leaking should be minimum.

Like John S says, you will have to do a little dissasemblyt to investigate.

Do both sides act the same when you separate the two pedals?

/ I've got no brakes!

Paddy, I can push them all the way to the floor without resistance. They may be working ever so slightly when they are bottomed out. I will try to dissamble them tonight and report back. I don't have all my tools at this shop so well see how I do. Thanks guys!

/ I've got no brakes!

Chip, the lock on the pedals is connected and they both feel the same way. I was getting ready to ask if they operate independently. I am going to go bike riding for a while and will report back later.

/ I've got no brakes! #7  

You might just need to adjust the linkage. it should be adjusted so each pedal meets resistance at the same time so the brakes work together when the pedals are locked together. The adjustment is under the floorboard on each side.

/ I've got no brakes!

I finally took the brake covers off to find the brake pads had fallen apart. I was suprised to see the brakes had failed on both sides. The only thing I can think of is my neighbor borrowed my tractor before this problem and possibly he could have left the brake lock on. I find this not likely as pushing the brake pedal one time and it would release. They are drum style brakes and seem easy to replace. I talked to Chris at www.jinmaparts.com and he will have me some new ones shipped tomorrow. Anybody else with this problem?

/ I've got no brakes! #9  

My brakes haven't disinagrated, but I am guilty of leaving the brakes on! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Even wired a "special" idiot light to help prevent it. I have the disk style brakes, and the results were some very hot brakes! Actually smelled from the heat. I probably glazed them in the process, but didn't cause enough of a problem to go in and replace them.

/ I've got no brakes! #10  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( They are drum style brakes and seem easy to replace. )</font>

Interesting. Yours is the first Jinma I've heard of
that didn't have disc-type brakes.
I guess it just makes sense on an entry level model though.
That said, there are probably several readers now wondering,
"do I have discs, or do I have drums?"

//greg//