Old Case 580CK for farm backhoe

/ Old Case 580CK for farm backhoe #21  
The way to get better at digging is more seat time. Next thing you know, it will be like an extension of your hand. You will be looking as what you want to do, and without thinking what your hands are doing, you will reach out and pick it up.

Just start out with 1/3 to 1/2 throttle, and do one to two actions at once. Then two actions, and then 3 or more. The more actions you do at once with the proper RPM's it will smooth right out. Those old three stickers, with foot swing aren't the easiest thing to run. I started on an old 4 sticker Ford, and still love them. Went to wobble sticks, now back to 3 sticks, and foot swing.

You'll find you're better off to use a shaving action when digging, rather than just cram the bucket full. The harder you cram material in the bucket, the harder it is to get out, especially sticky clay. And makes for nicer, finer, fill, if backfilling a tile, or pipe. Every few seconds you're setting there hammering the bucket, trying to get stuck material out, that's probably enough time to make the biggest part of another digging cycle.

We've all been there, and had to start and learn somewhere along the line. If you get frustrated, get off, and walk away for a minute... Then get back on and try again. There's a lot of left brain, right brain stuff going on there... It will come in time.

/ Old Case 580CK for farm backhoe
Yes, I found the serial number plate on the right side of the instrument panel. The old girl is a '71.

Did you find the serial number? In my 580K manual they picture nine different locations. I.e. for the unit, rops, transmission, engine, bucket etc.
The one that you want is on the horizontal door sill. Just open the door to see it. Unfortunately the operator manual doesn't say whether it's the driver door or the passengers.

I probably is 12000+ hours, but I was surprised the hour meter worked. Engine runs so good I wondered if it could that low.

Is it normal for hour gauges to still work after 40 years and 12k hours?

Probably 12447.9 hours. I don't think that it shows tens of thousands of hours, I know that mine didn't.

/ Old Case 580CK for farm backhoe #24  
If it's the round tach, w/hour meter in the dash, I'd say it may have been replaced.

The main thing, if it is working, it's lots easier to know when to do a service on it.

/ Old Case 580CK for farm backhoe #25  
where can I order some cylinder rebuild kits for the 580ck

/ Old Case 580CK for farm backhoe #26  
I replaced the one leaking hose today and added hydraulic fluid. Went out and did some trial digging. First thing I noticed is I suck at it... I saw another hose leak on the bucket curl. I blew a hose on one of the outriggers. Guess I tried to take a little to big of bite . I'm going to be come very good friends with the guy at the hydraulic shop I think.

In my opinion, nothing you do in operation should remotely come close to blowing a hose. Your hydraulics should go into bypass long before a hose blows. I suspect your hoses are just old and tired. If you used the TLB for making a living, I'd recommend replacement of all hoses, but for your uses, you just need to replace them as they blow. I hope you don't get on your hydraulic shop's Christmas Card list.;)

I'm pretty lucky with my New Holland LB75B. My dealer told me that they normally kept one of every hose in stock. I already replaced one hose and decided ORFS fittings are "the bomb.":thumbsup: I luv 'em.:)

The hose I've replaced and one that blew appear to be original equipment. A few other hoses look to have been replaced at some point. Like you said if I was using this to make money, I would replace all of them now. But downtime isn't lost revenue for my usage -- I just keep replacing on an as needed basis. Much easier to get $50 here or $80 there past the book keeper (aka Wife), than it is to have a one time $500+ show up.

In my opinion, nothing you do in operation should remotely come close to blowing a hose. Your hydraulics should go into bypass long before a hose blows. I suspect your hoses are just old and tired. If you used the TLB for making a living, I'd recommend replacement of all hoses, but for your uses, you just need to replace them as they blow. I hope you don't get on your hydraulic shop's Christmas Card list.;)

I'm pretty lucky with my New Holland LB75B. My dealer told me that they normally kept one of every hose in stock. I already replaced one hose and decided ORFS fittings are "the bomb.":thumbsup: I luv 'em.:)

/ Old Case 580CK for farm backhoe #28  
Looks like a decent machine for that price. I have owned my '68 580CK for over 20 years. It has 188D and power shuttle with the model 33 hoe. Its easy to maintain and parts are readily available new or used, depending on what you need. I have both parts and service manuals here, so just ask if you need any info. Also, you can download the parts catalog free from the Case construction website. That will give you some idea of how it all goes together. For its size and cost, its one of the better smaller backhoes that you can own. It does have limitations but real heavy work is better hired out anyway.

Jess

/ Old Case 580CK for farm backhoe #29  
You should be able to get cylinder rebuild kits at Case Construction. Even at Case they are not all that much money.

Hi Juskatla

The blown hydraulic hose I need to replace is for the left stabilizer arm. Have any advice on how to disconnect the hose under the control tower? Not seeing an easy way to get the wrenches in under there and have any easy way of unhooking.

Friend of mine suggested a plumbers sink wrench. I may pick one up at the Depot on the way home and try.

Looks like a decent machine for that price. I have owned my '68 580CK for over 20 years. It has 188D and power shuttle with the model 33 hoe. Its easy to maintain and parts are readily available new or used, depending on what you need. I have both parts and service manuals here, so just ask if you need any info. Also, you can download the parts catalog free from the Case construction website. That will give you some idea of how it all goes together. For its size and cost, its one of the better smaller backhoes that you can own. It does have limitations but real heavy work is better hired out anyway.

Jess

Last edited: